Door opens/closes too easily

Hey, my driver's door swings open and closed much easier than the others, parking on the slightest incline and it will slam shut on you as you get out of the car. I guess it's that the notched bar (name?) that holds the door in place has worn down from use (as it's the most used door), the notches do seem a bit flatter than those on the other doors. 

Is this part serviceable/adjustable/replaceable/swappable from the other doors? Is it a big job, and do you need to take the door covers/internal panels off? Would prefer not to do that as I've sealed them!

Thanks.

You can change them but it isnt an easy 2 minute job im afraid.

im fairly sure you need to remove them from the inside of the door if you get what i mean, like remove the door card, window, regulator and carrier, then pull it through that way.

They are known as the door strap somtimes? ... i cant think of the proper name myself right now.

• Like 1

Great, thanks. I guess I'll have a look at slackening off the bolts and seeing if I can wiggle it out without going via the carrier, but looking at the pic I suspect the hole is too small. Thanks for the eBay link too.

At least I have the bolt-on carriers, not riveted ones.

Edited by wiredsoftware
  • Like 1

Had this all wrong - the end that is captive is on the chassis side - so to replace this you have to remove at least part of the dash and side kick trim in the car, but don't have to remove door trim at all  :dull:

Oh good, that was what I was about to suggest!  Probably needs a bit of string or strong thread to avoid that new one dropping down out of reach until secured?

• Like 1

You don't replace the Check straps by taking the door cards off.

I have replaced both of mine and you need to remove the kick panels down in the footwell (for the drivers side you need to remove the bonnet release before doing so) then peel back the OEM sound proofing, you will feel/see a small opening leading into a cavity in which the straps are attached to from the outside. Obviously you need to undo the bolts holding the straps on.

If you reach in this hole with your fingers, you can reach the back of the straps.

You can change them but it isnt an easy 2 minute job im afraid.

im fairly sure you need to remove them from the inside of the door if you get what i mean, like remove the door card, window, regulator and carrier, then pull it through that way.

They are known as the door strap somtimes? ... i cant think of the proper name myself right now.

Thanks - figured out above that I'd need to come in from there somewhere rather than the door. I briefly had the under-steering wheel plastics off, and could just about see a way to get it from there but it was very awkwardly up-and-over, so you're probably right that going via the kick plate would be easier. Putting this job on the back burner until spring I think...

• Like 1