New brake discs and pads

Doofy

Hi all, The time has come to change the front discs and pads due to disc warp caused by sticking caliper causing overheating. Looking on the Euro car parts website and various brands are listed, Eicher, Pagid, Brembo, Bosch, Mintex etc, all different prices..Just wondering which brand would be recommended. Thanks.

Edited by Doofy

I've always used Pagid when changing discs and pads on my previous Octavia and Superb.

The Pagid stuff always felt as good as the originals. I think Pagid may well be an OE supplier to Skoda/VW for discs and pads. http://pagid.com/products/

• Like 1

• Administrators

Do you have a budget? Are you keeping the car for the next 20k etc ;)

I'd go with Bosch or OEM if I was casually driving the car under normal conditions. If I enjoyed a spirited, brisk drive, I'd look to an upgrade disc/pad & fluid, but not excessive, i.e. no need for drilled/grooved.

Don't forget we have three good solutions for parts here on site. 1. is the GSF sponsor for aftermarket parts at great prices, 2. is the skoda parts ( link at page head ) for OEM parts at great prices and finally but by no means least, any of the sponsors for good brake upgrade kits, so the pagid, brembo etc

Tyres and brakes are the only things I personally don't go cheap on.

• Like 1

I have only just fitted Pagid front discs and pads on my VRS this morning. Took it up the road and once the pads wore the paint covering off the discs, they have a good feel to them. A longer road test will happen tomorrow. 

I had a service today and had fitted Textar E pads, thought I'd see if they are less dusty.

Also had a set of ATE powerdisks, which are slightly grooved so you can tell when it is worn and need replacing.

Did not fit the discs yet, as current original discs still good, with only a tiny outer lip.

So managed to get 80k from original front pads, which were 75% worn, and still on original discs with hopefully another 50k still on them

I had a service today and had fitted Textar E pads, thought I'd see if they are less dusty.

Also had a set of ATE powerdisks, which are slightly grooved so you can tell when it is worn and need replacing.

Did not fit the discs yet, as current original discs still good, with only a tiny outer lip.

So managed to get 80k from original front pads, which were 75% worn, and still on original discs with hopefully another 50k still on them

Hi Such

Make sure you also check the inside of the disc. Mine were okay on the outside, but had a fair amount of wear on the inside of the disc. Seems the pad on the inside that is directly on the piston, puts the most wear on the disc.

Hi Such

Make sure you also check the inside of the disc. Mine were okay on the outside, but had a fair amount of wear on the inside of the disc. Seems the pad on the inside that is directly on the piston, puts the most wear on the disc.

The chaps that serviced it took the wheels off and had a good look on the inside, whilst the car was on the ramp,  and said it was only slightly worn.

Thanks

From experience I always change the discs anyway regardless of how they look. The one time I was being tight and only bought pads I had brake judder within the next 15k and had to do the discs and pads again

I don't think brake discs these days are manufactured to a high enough quality to cope with the wear of 2 sets of pads.

You may get away with it though.

Thanks for replies, Good to hear that Pagid is decent quality, Bought a Pagid caliper from ECP  yesterday and with the online code discount it was £57, my local part place was £77. What is the general feeling about grooved/drilled discs on a normal road car? Are they worth the extra money? And would my insurance company need to be informed if i used them, As i suppose it's a Braking system upgrade?  Thanks..

Edited by Doofy

Do you have a budget? Are you keeping the car for the next 20k etc ;)

I'd go with Bosch or OEM if I was casually driving the car under normal conditions. If I enjoyed a spirited, brisk drive, I'd look to an upgrade disc/pad & fluid, but not excessive, i.e. no need for drilled/grooved.

Don't forget we have three good solutions for parts here on site. 1. is the GSF sponsor for aftermarket parts at great prices, 2. is the skoda parts ( link at page head ) for OEM parts at great prices and finally but by no means least, any of the sponsors for good brake upgrade kits, so the pagid, brembo etc

Tyres and brakes are the only things I personally don't go cheap on.

Yeah Colin, Plan on having this car a while yet, So wanting to put good quality components on. Like you say not skimping on tyres or brakes.

Although I did change the brake fluid a few days before fitting the Pagid discs and pads on the front, I have just been on a longer drive and am impressed with the braking performance. The pedal is a fair bit firmer as well. Yes I do like Pagid brakes.