Mudflaps Work

paulfjr

I have had my Yet for 6 months now, and enjoy driving it every time. However, around where I live, numerous farmers come onto the roads out of the fields making the roads very muddy, especially with all the rain we have had recently. After cleaning the car, one drive on these roads and the sides and back of the car are really coated. So I decided to have mudflaps fitted all around (at a dealer for £100), and despite some negative comments about the ineffectiveness on this forum, I am pleased with them to date. Very little dirt has been pulled onto the doors, and the back screen has remained almost clean. So for me they seem to work.

• Like 2

£100 for mudflaps? They're about £30 a pair and about 10 mins to fit.

And I'm glad you think they made a difference - I can confidently say thay made virtually no difference to how much crap gets thrown up the side of mine or what makes it onto the back screen.

Edited by 137699

If you've driven without them for six months and now with them on you are finding them a significant benefit then I think you could can say for you it's a £100 well spent. It may be that in your area they are more effective than if you did a lot of motorway driving. 

• Like 1

£100 for mudflaps? They're about £30 a pair and about 10 mins to fit.

And I'm glad you think they made a difference - I can confidently say thay made virtually no difference to how much crap gets thrown up the side of mine or what makes it onto the back screen.

So that's £60 for a set of 4 then. £40 for a garage to fit is cheap....is that mud in your eye.

Edited by DonjSZ5

Ah!  A Yeti in its full winter coat!  :clap:

I wish I still had the Yeti!  I miss it a lot, it was a great car, never let me down, 143,000 miles in three years and is still for sale down in Erith near gravesend for about £8,500 I think.

Mudflaps look good but don't do much in my experience.

I wish I still had the Yeti!  I miss it a lot, it was a great car, never let me down, 143,000 miles in three years and is still for sale down in Erith near gravesend for about £8,500 I think.

Mudflaps look good but don't do much in my experience.

>$A17,000 ! 240,000kms !

We have an expression out here

"Tell 'im he's dreamin' !"

• Like 1

>$A17,000 ! 240,000kms !

We have an expression out here

"Tell 'im he's dreamin' !"

It started out for sale last year, August to be precise at £10,500!  I think it is probably worth £5k tops

In support of my white goods contention

No primary dealer would have one one their forecourt.....it would go to the trade via auction, and sadly be sold down for European high mileage with potential for massive financial loss.

A carpark (Tesco) conversation with a Yeti owner re: mudflaps,

he was complaining about the mudflaps on his car and had come

to look at mine. Comparing the two mine was (still is) dirtier*, the

mudflaps do a job but being asked for an opinion I suggested

making them a couple of inches longer and a little wider toward

the inside. What with? was the next question so off the cuff I said

stainless steel (I had just dismantled my old Smeg dishwasher)

off an old dishwasher. Off he went. Two weeks later (we fetch our

papers early Saturday mornings) he saw me and said come and look,

s/steel 2"-3" longer and wider neatly cut and  bolted to the original flaps.

All his own work, but he bought the s/steel.

(*I don't have mudflaps on my Yeti but maybe the next one)

Edited by gumdrop

I think the stone protection aspect is important and normally overlooked and is probably what they are more designed to do rather than keep the sides clean.

Interestingly, on my CR-V the doors remain significantly cleaner above the side stripes than they do below them. I don't know if this is the case on the Yeti as I didn't have them on mine but looking at the picture above it doesn't seem to be the case. It must be something to do with the overall shape of the vehicle.

Not wanting to divert the thread but, are automatic car washes not common like here?

Tried to find one prior to Heathrow but found only valet type........not-my-car mentality of course.

Times are hard in the north of England I prefer to wash mine with a bucket and sponge although some appear to be having more fun than me

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

We got marked down for returning it dirty ....not my choice, but couldn't believe how difficult it was to find a drive-through attached to a servo like here.

Times are hard in the north of England I prefer to wash mine with a bucket and sponge although some appear to be having more fun than me

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Try a black one, 2 minutes down the road at this time of year and it looks like you've been having loads of"fun"! :-P