Coolant temperature high, around 90 C

Hi all, 

I just got my new Octavia SW this week, it's a 1.4 TSI CNG model.

I'm wondering if anyone else experienced issues with the Coolant temperature too high...

On my first drive (around 2h) outside temperature was about 0-4 C 

and the coolant temperature on the dashboard was showing a temp of 90 C

pretty stable, but quite suspicious...

The second drive it was very short, the car was left outside at average temp around 3 C

I drove the car for about 2km, and the temperature on the dashboard started from 50 C and reached 90 C in less than a Km...

Of course I'm gonna bring this to a Skoda Service to have it checked.... But I was wondering if anyone had any similar issue... 

Cheers

Edited by scaltro

90C is where it should sit but the actual coolant temperature can be quite a way off. The gauge seems to be weighted to run at a solid 90C, probably because you think the car is engineered better if you don't see it straying from that figure.

I'm guessing your last car had a failed thermostat if your not used to hitting 90C

Edited by SuperbTWM

Many thanks for the quick reply.

Indeed.. My previous car had only the red light for the coolant temp control, so yeah I did not expect this was the normal temperature.

Especially because it reach it very quickly even if the outside temperature is almost 0C.

Well you saved me a trip to the car shop: thanks!!

The car is designed to bring the coolant up to temperature very quickly to improve economy and reduce emissions.

You also get warm air out of the heater vents in a ridiculously short time.

What you are experiencing is quite normal for the petrol 1.4tsi.

The tsi's coolant really picks up heat fast.

Even when its way below freezing, once the needle starts climbing, it climbs fast.

And Im surprised how long it stays warm when parked. My old Mondeo tdci seemed to lose engineheat as soon as it was parked. But then again, on the really cold days it couldnt keep the coolant at 90deg even while idling...

Edited by Gromle

Just remember thats the coolant temp. and not the oil temp. the car is not fully up to temp. for extreme use. Scroll through the Maxidot for the oil temp and when that hits a minimum 80 you can start the fun, usually 3 down the road.

Regards

T

That's a good point/tip [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I'm late to the party but I've have the 1.4TSI in my Leon which I've been driving for 18 months. 90 degrees is a nailed on temp for that engine in my experience. Having said that I had the fan come on when it was only 2deg outside but put that down to poor Sierra based engineering control in Espana!

Where do you see coolant temp,  I can only see Oil temp in maxidot?

Coolant temp is an old-fashioned analogue gauge on the dashboard :-)

It's on the left hand-side at the base of the tachometer.

Edited by iriches

Coolant temp is an old-fashioned analogue gauge on the dashboard :-)

It's on the left hand-side at the base of the tachometer.

ok, doh, I thought this was oil temparature as well :P

• 1 year later...