Which engines / age vehicles aren't affected by oil pump drive failure?

jimbof

I'm plotting my escape from MK1 Superb (170K on the clock, done 130K of that in a little over 4 years).  I'd quite like a MK2 Estate.  The oil pump drive does scare me - father-in-law has recently suffered a £2K bill for remedial work after it failed on his 2008 MK2 2L diesel.  

I really clock up the miles, so don't want it hanging over me, and really don't want to main dealer service on the hope of some contribution should the worst happen.

Can't find any definitive info - if it is out there, can anyone point me to it?  Cheers!  Am only interested in diesel vehicles.

Edited by jimbof

I'm plotting my escape from MK1 Superb (170K on the clock, done 130K of that in a little over 4 years).  I'd quite like a MK2 Estate.  The oil pump drive does scare me - father-in-law has recently suffered a £2K bill for remedial work after it failed on his 2008 MK2 2L diesel.  

I really clock up the miles, so don't want it hanging over me, and really don't want to main dealer service on the hope of some contribution should the worst happen.

Can't find any definitive info - if it is out there, can anyone point me to it?  Cheers!  Am only interested in diesel vehicles.

I thought it was the 2.0 PD  fitted with the "balance module" as the module and oil pump shared the same drive train that suffered the failures

They were mainly fitted into the North/South orientation 2.0 PD Audis/Skoda Superb I/Passats

It does seem to have also crept into some transverse Passats and Skoda Superb II 2.0 pd 's though

Edited by bigjohn

Which engines / age vehicles aren't affected by oil pump drive failure?

I think oil pump drive failure will affect any engine....

:nerd:

Well, if you're being pedantic, then the question is "Which engines / age vehicles aren't affected by what might be considered to be premature oil pump drive failure?"

Eventually everything on anything will fail.  The 2.0PD 140 engine in MK1 Superb is well known for killing itself well before 100K due to this.  My father in law's Mk2 has just needed over £2k of work at less than 100K due to what I believe to be the same issue.  I'm trying to work out if his is the isolated incident, or whether there is a whole class of MK2 Superb which it is best to avoid...

• Sad 1

The old Ford V6 had a hex shaft that failed and oil pressure was lost, also the PSA 1.9td engine Hdi im told

Yup - had this happen to me on a Ford Zephyr 2.5 V6 - hex shaft from the base of the distributor that fed the oil pump was made of putty. It seized the engine but in simpler days only the crank was damaged.

Lovely car in its day but fuel economy would be an issue these days - around town you struggled to get double figures mpg - ouch. When filling up you had to make sure engine was turned off to stop gaining on them :angel:

Lightning struck twice and happened again on a pinto engined Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia auto - same thing hex shaft between distributor and oil pump - managed to stop quicker this time and engine survived (only just - wasn't the same after). If only I still had this car!!!

Edited by bigjohn

I think there has been a thread on here before and I'm sure the conclusion was that it had affected some CR engines. I think they improved the hex shaft at some point but obviously continued to make the same engine with the same engine code so its very difficult to tell whether a car will be more likely to have an issue.

If you are aware of the problem and are smart enough to kill the engine immediately if you get the low oil pressure light (if it is safe to do so) I think there's a good chance you could save the engine

I spend most of the time on dual carriageway at 70 - I reckon you're probably done for if that kind of thing happens then.

I found a few threads, one of which seemed to have some useful information (77mm hex key on CBBB) and then descended into a lot of people saying "move along, nothing to see here"...

I guess the best thing to do would be to check the part number of the hex key for a prospective car purchase (ETKA?) and leave it if it has the 77mm key.

I spend most of the time on dual carriageway at 70 - I reckon you're probably done for if that kind of thing happens then.

Way back when it was a close call with my Capri 2.0 at about 70mph. When I realised my oil pressure had hit the deck I struggled to turn the engine off at speed. Even when I managed to turn the engine off without engaging the steering lock (at speed!) I discovered the headlights were turned off with ignition off and then when ignition turned on - the engine restarted through the torque converter / auto box

• Like 1

It was only the 2.0 ltr diesel on the mk1 with the engine code BSS that was affected on the skodas, Not heard of any cr engines having this issue as the oil pump failure was caused by the drive rod wearing and not transmitting the drive to the oil pump, the cr engines are driven by a small timing belt that comes from the crank down to the oil pump, Most of the mk2 superbs are cr engines apart from some of the 140 which where pd engine cars but even these arnt affected. hope this helps.

• Like 1

It was only the 2.0 ltr diesel on the mk1 with the engine code BSS that was affected on the skodas, Not heard of any cr engines having this issue as the oil pump failure was caused by the drive rod wearing and not transmitting the drive to the oil pump, the cr engines are driven by a small timing belt that comes from the crank down to the oil pump, Most of the mk2 superbs are cr engines apart from some of the 140 which where pd engine cars but even these arnt affected. hope this helps.

When you say belt, do you mean chain?  A belt wouldn't do very well inside the engine.

I thought the newer models still used the balance shaft but a bigger and more substantial size. Skoda going back to the chain driven oil pump would be admitting they made a **** up and that's unlikely  :D

Edited by SuperbTWM

Are you saying that there is no balancer shaft module with a hex drive to the oil pump in MK2 Superb?  Or that they don't fail in the same way?

I only have the engine data from Passat B6 from last time I was in ERWIN, but it looks like to me like a few of the engine codes in Superb have balancer shaft modules, which have the hex bar delivering the final drive to the oil pump?

post-78853-0-83345500-1455916013_thumb.png

As I said, the whole reason for my question is that my father in law just had a very expensive bill for work after a failed oil pump...

Are you saying that there is no balancer shaft module with a hex drive to the oil pump in MK2 Superb?  Or that they don't fail in the same way?

I only have the engine data from Passat B6 from last time I was in ERWIN, but it looks like to me like a few of the engine codes in Superb have balancer shaft modules, which have the hex bar delivering the final drive to the oil pump?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-02-19 at 21.02.54.png

As I said, the whole reason for my question is that my father in law just had a very expensive bill for work after a failed oil pump...

I think all the Superb II 2.0 CR engines have a balance shaft yes, and I would bet that most of them if not all have the revised design but I don't think anybody can say for sure. I'm only guessing from previous information I have read which also could be wrong. You would probably be safe with the facelift model.

I haven't idea what you are talking about but I know a lovely mk2 fl l&k estate for sale ;)

Shameless!  Nice car, little out of my price range.  Really looking in the sub-10K bracket...

• Like 1

Turns out car in question is an early MK2 Superb DSG with BMP engine code; this engine code was brought up previously here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/201929-owners-of-20-ltr-common-rail/?p=2395984

This engine does have 77mm hex drive, and if my father-in-law's experience is anything to go by, they can go bang quite spectacularly, even with low miles and perfect main dealer service history.