1.6 16v loosing coolant but cant find the leek

Hello, owned this car for just over 1.5 years been nothing but great goes anywhere any day of the week. But I have always had this coolant leak, some weeks I might have to top it up 3-4 times but others maybe once sometimes, Ive been under the bonnet but cant find any residue or obvious leaks when it went in for breaks I asked if they could have a look but they found nothing. Ive had a good google on it but I can only find posts on the diesel octaviaes etc. My car is a 1.6 fabia 2 tiptronic 2007. Can someone point me in the right direction getting really annoying now cheers :)

I used to very slowley loose a small amount of coolant. I found that the water resovoir needed an extra sixteen of a turn to tighten it properly. It seemed fully closed when lined up at with a mark on the housing ( parralel with the bumper) but needed a little bit more to get it steam tight.

Edited by m8t

In theory yes but I'd be really surprised on the 1.6.

Pulls like a charm looks dry around the block. I've seen hgf where just the coolant leaks out but my car gets to temp there is no white or black smoke, happy to rev, no gunk on any fluid caps. I saw on the diesels that the water pump leaks as well as a coolant flange is that also the case

I used to very slowley loose a small amount of coolant. I found that the water resovoir needed an extra sixteen of a turn to tighten it properly. It seemed fully closed when lined up at with a mark on the housing ( parralel with the bumper) but needed a little bit more to get it steam tight.

Mine goes past "parallel" it's about 10o clock

Have you tried listening after a run?  You might be able to hear a hiss of pressurised water / vapour escaping.  Easier if you have a garage or quiet environment...

What kind of mileage is on the car, and do you know when the water pump was last changed?

This might help or it may not but worth mentioning. I had an engine replacement around 6k miles ago and when I got it back I had coolant loss, not much but still noticable and still required attention. Took it back to skoda and it turned out to be a clip on the hose that goes into the back of the engine, it wasn't gripping the seal, changed the clip and sorted.

• 1 month later...

I have seen expansion bottles on other cars, that develop small, hairline cracks along the manufactured "Join" or "Seam", causing leakage. Easy and not too expensive to replace from motor factors, in fact, probably cheaper then second hand scrappy one!