Cold start issue

Hi guys hoping you can help

My octy vrs has developed a cold start issue where first start, she starts fine then after. Few seconds coughs and splutters and almost conks out. If I give it a little revs the problem clears up almost straight away. I have no codes coming up for it.

Any help appreciates

interesting!!! I have just developed the same problem, thought it might be something to with the secondary air thing as its been noisey for a bit, and if I start in from cold and leave it for about 30 secs on idle it doesnt seem to do it and drives fine.  Very interested in peoples thoughts this

I had my secondary air pump taken out over a year ago, I've read it could be the cold air sensors behind the throttle body or strangely the rocker cover gasket leaking although I can't see how the later would effect this.

It doesn't seem to do this every time either

• 4 weeks later...

My mk1 has had the same problem recently, if I pull away before the initial start revs have dropped, I can be kangarooing down the street. Works fine if left to warm up for a minute. Plugs, leads and coils changed. Premium petrol used. All made no difference. Not as bad on warmer mornings. Air intake or sensors perhaps?

Any help/ advice appreciated.

Festa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wanted to update the problem. Starting issues got worse, vrs started to rev on its own, lots more kangarooing in all weathers/ temperatures. The orange engine light on dashboard permanently on.

I just replaced mass air flow unit (£25 delivered), job took about 15 minutes, car started 1st time, idles evenly, no kangarooing, no light on dashboard.

Looks like my guess was correct :)

Many people on here have reported issues with cheap MAF sensors, so if you have problems with the new one then I'd recommend replacing it with a genuine Bosch one.