Fitting LED fog lamps to VRS

Such

Right, as requested, I will attempt to put up a guide to the above modification.

I bought the led fog lamps, plugs and repair wire from my local TPS. I managed to get a better price than the skoda ebay store.

I'll list the parts here so they are in one place:

Fabia LED fog lamps: 5J0941067; 5J0941068

Electric plug for above lamps: 1J0973723

Repair wire: 000979133EA

The additional wiring with resistors i got from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230861443876?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

post-48024-0-16213500-1456582655_thumb.jpg

I managed to get the red and black wires out of the plug - took ages and then they did not fit into the lamp plug, so in the end I revisited TPS for the repair wire. TIP use the repair wire as the pins fit the intended plug and saves a lot of faffing around!

post-48024-0-83110700-1456582673_thumb.jpg

Repair wire and plug. The pins on the end clip into the plug

post-48024-0-04051300-1456582682_thumb.jpg

Pins attached to plug, 

post-48024-0-15168500-1456583634_thumb.jpg

The plug has numbered pins 1,2,3 - the red wire goes to 3, the black to 2. ( i got this from another thread on here )

post-48024-0-17450200-1456582707_thumb.jpg

Finished lead with new plug

post-48024-0-07437800-1456582700_thumb.jpg

Fitting check

So you should end up with 2 of these:

post-48024-0-95910800-1456582713_thumb.jpg

That's as far as i have got, as i buggered up one plug by attempting to use the red, black wires with the pins attached, and ruined the plug. TPS did not have another, so collection on Tuesday!

So that's the wiring sorted, I'll continue next week, hope it works after all this!

Edited by Such
  • Like 1

Just an FYI, on a 2012 car you probably don't need the resistors. I'm pretty sure the BCM can have the warning coded out for fogs with the right tools ;-)

Have you tried fitting the led units to the car yet?

Looking forward to the next update!

• Like 1

Didn't know I could have done without resistors.

I'm sure a chap on here had a 2012 and got the error?

I have access to VCDS, is that sufficient to code out any errors?

Is it worth removing the resistors then, or keeping them in.

Have not tried fitting units yet, my son is currently occupying drive fitting new intercooler on his Ibiza.

VCDS can't do the coding needing I'm afraid, only ODIS-e or VCP are able to flip the right bits in the EEPROM. I've got a BCM as part of my bench test and despite it having no bulbs attached it only shows bulb out warnings for main and dipped beams. All other warnings have been coded out :)

Probably worth leaving the resistors until you're able to find someone local with the right kit and have the LED units fitted!

Right, new plug collected and the other lead made up.

Removed the fog light trim - there is a hole which you put your finger in and just pull it out.

post-48024-0-92805700-1457288007_thumb.jpg

Just 3 screws holding the unit

post-48024-0-64185200-1457288014_thumb.jpg

Fog light removed, connector shown

post-48024-0-49355400-1457288024_thumb.jpg

New connector fitted - NOTE: The new female connector (2pin) which attaches to the existing plug may need to be inserted so the tab is NOT under the locking mechanism as, in my case, the wires were the wrong way around, and the lights did not work.

post-48024-0-88016000-1457288031_thumb.jpg

Fitted and working after adjustment to female plug to existing connector. The new units are an exact replacement.

post-48024-0-96553800-1457288038_thumb.jpg

All working with cornering function retained. NO BULB ERRORS (so far!)

I have left the resistors in the bumper void -  does get hot really quick. not sure if this will melt the bottom of the bumper? I could not see a straight forward way of attaching to something metal, despite removing one of the headlights?

I may remove and wrap the resistor in some heat resistant neoprene material, if there is a bumper melting risk.

So, all done for now, does not take that long around an hour going slow after a long night out!

Next job a good wash!

Edited by Such

• 3 months later...

Been wondering about this for the 2010 Scout and coding fogs to function as DRLs. This way I'd have the DRLs the same as was an option on the later Scouts. What I don't know though is whether the car would be ok for an MoT if it should have fogs but they've been replaced with the DRLs. The fog light switch would still work but the light pattern would obviously be different. Anyone know if that matters for the MoT.

Been wondering about this for the 2010 Scout and coding fogs to function as DRLs. This way I'd have the DRLs the same as was an option on the later Scouts. What I don't know though is whether the car would be ok for an MoT if it should have fogs but they've been replaced with the DRLs. The fog light switch would still work but the light pattern would obviously be different. Anyone know if that matters for the MoT.

But aren't the Fabia LEDs also used as foglights on the Fabia? So in theory you are swapping a fog light with a fog light. I guess the DRL function just dimms them down a bit? 

My understanding is that the DRLs replace the fog lights. That was certainly the case with the Octy Scout. You could have one or the other. The LEDs are for DRLs not fogs. Because they serve different functions the light from them is also very different, hence my query.

My understanding is that the DRLs replace the fog lights. That was certainly the case with the Octy Scout. You could have one or the other. The LEDs are for DRLs not fogs. Because they serve different functions the light from them is also very different, hence my query.

Not sure I understand what you are getting at. But the units from Fabia serve both functions (fog + drl) on the Fabia. So why not on the Scout? Is it a coding issue? The units themselves are built to do both.. as far as uncle internet is concerned :)

For usage for both fog and DRL the light will need to be marked as such. If I remember correctly, that means it'll need to be ECE/EEC marked with RL (running light) and either B or F3 (front fog, F3 having better performance than B).

However, for a UK MOT the front fog lights aren't checked so I be surprised if it failed an MOT.

Thanks for that Langers2k.

Reverse - I don't know about the Fabia but on the Octy it was definitely a case of having the DRLs at the expense of the fogs. With DRLs the fog light switch functionality was removed.

Thanks for that Langers2k.

Reverse - I don't know about the Fabia but on the Octy it was definitely a case of having the DRLs at the expense of the fogs. With DRLs the fog light switch functionality was removed.

Yeah, I know. But that is a "hack" right? I guess we are talking about a pre-facelift Octavia RS that didn't come with a DRL option? Or was that actually offered by the factory to replace fogs with DRL?

Sorry reverse, I'm referring specifically to the face lift Octy Scout from 2011 m/y on. A factory option was to have DRLs rather than the fogs.

Sorry reverse, I'm referring specifically to the face lift Octy Scout from 2011 m/y on. A factory option was to have DRLs rather than the fogs.

I see. I was not aware that the Scout didn't come with the LED drls, same as the RS version. I thought they were similar. Then it makes sense. But like I said, the interwebs claims Fabia units have both functions. Perhaps it is possible to code it like that for the Scour/pre-facelift. Tho, it would require some funky switch magic as well.

• 1 month later...