VRS 4x4 Ownership

Always amazed at the amount of room in the boot, it's huge in comparison to the golf 

Its interesting as the oct is often compared and stated as basically the golf, but i opted for the oct VRS as more interesting a company car to a passat (mk7) as thought these were more akin in terms of boot space. 

I had been wondering if the Golf R could replace our lease scout in a year or so, but will see how the VRS 4x4 goes down. Glad you're liking it :-)

Edited by Exeterj

will be getting a remap though, always had remaps on previous cars and never encountered any problems to date.

Honestly try DTUK box - such a good bit of kit. I've always had remaps but I'm so impressed with their new box.

will be getting a remap though, always had remaps on previous cars and never encountered any problems to date.

Honestly try DTUK box - such a good bit of kit. I've always had remaps but I'm so impressed with their new box.

Thanks for the advice, I have read about the DTUK box and it states a high torque output of up to 500Nm's; that's brilliant.  One to defo look into.

Thanks for the advice, I have read about the DTUK box and it states a high torque output of up to 500Nm's; that's brilliant. One to defo look into.

Means you've got nothing to worry about it when it comes to warranty either and takes less than 10 minutes to fit :thumbup:

CRD 3 DTUK box ordered and will be fitting over the weekend; settings as recommended by DTUK will be 2-1.  

• Like 1

CRD 3 DTUK box ordered and will be fitting over the weekend; settings as recommended by DTUK will be 2-1.

Depends how you like the power - I've changed mine around from 2 to 3 as I can't decide what I like best. Program 2 is very linear, almost petrol like in delivery, whereas 3 is very low down huge heaps of torque and actually makes the car feel better, especially on the motorway. Currently running 3+2 and it's great! Otherwise I use 2+2.

Very impressed with the CRD3 though - great bit of kit!

Would order a 4x4 if they did one in petrol.  Understand diesels are good, just prefer the way a petrol drives

Shame the 280 4x4 they have on the Superb isn't available as an Octy vRS

Edited by ahar
  • Like 1

Picked up my octavia 4x4 vrs on the first too. I have to say very impressed with it so far. Loads of grunt but no tramping or wheel spinning when giving it some beans.

I would be very disappointed if it spun up the wheels easily after paying the extra for the 4x4. I have just seen a Russian Test Drive video on YouTube with a 245bhp Revo 1.8 TSI 4x4 which the owner had tarted up with some VRS gear and that might be the way to go for the petrol heads. As for the tuning boxes, my friend cracked his Alfa Brera engine block using one, probably with high output settings.

I would be very disappointed if it spun up the wheels easily after paying the extra for the 4x4. I have just seen a Russian Test Drive video on YouTube with a 245bhp Revo 1.8 TSI 4x4 which the owner had tarted up with some VRS gear and that might be the way to go for the petrol heads. As for the tuning boxes, my friend cracked his Alfa Brera engine block using one, probably with high output settings.

I would love a link to that video :)

Looking forward to my 4x4 VRS, so relieved to read your comments about the traction. I was worried there could be a lag of the power shifting from front to rear

I'm four days in to ownership of my vRS 230 - it's not run in yet so i'm taking it easy but already you can feel that the car puts the power down much better than the previous "open" diff.  I think the clever diff will be a better option personally, unless you live somewhere when you have permanent mud/snow etc.

With winter tyres and snow chains a 2wd vRS isn't going to get stuck anywhere.. diff gives you the traction so i'm not sure i'd go 4wd even if it was available for the petrol vRS...

I think the 4x4 comes with the clever diff as well. I'll be putting winter wheels and tyres on mine once I've sold my current ones off of the mkii vrs. I might well stick a DTUK tuning box on as well. Then it will catch out a few people.

• Like 1

Seriously tempted by a vRS 4x4, just had a quote from New Car Discount with 19% discount including options, that's almost £6k saving!

Edited by Matt Pez
  • Like 1

Just short of 1000 miles done now, with a trip from North Kent coast to North Yorkshire over the weekend and a couple of commuting trips earlier in the week.  Loving the car, so much more than I thought I would, especially after trading in the Golf R for it.  Now I know some of you guys will already have experienced some of the gadgets on the car, but one thing I love is the lane assist; what a trick bit of kit, it really works and actual keeps you in between the lines.

Gutsy engine, smooth delivery of power and better economy than I expected currently averaging 47mpg; that is very good considering its new, carrying an extra 85kg with the AWD and I wasn't hanging about up and down the A1 :devil: .  I have read some of the motor magazine reviews, and they say the suspension is not great; I would have to disagree, its firm and exactly what you need for a sportier set up, not crashing over the bumps.  It feels planted and quite nimble for the size of the car, in particularly around the North Yorkshire B roads, so again more than happy with the way it drives and feels on the road.

Build quality is comparable to the other VAG group cars, clean lines, quality interior, comfortable; great set of seats.

Typically the DTUK tuning box was delivered over the weekend, however, all I have is the Royal Mail 'Your parcel is available to collect from your local parcel centre' card.  Will be getting that after work tomorrow and will let you all know how I get on with it.  

Early days, but so far so good and I would certainly recommend the VRS 4x4, and although I will miss the power of the Golf R, I'm loving the fuel economy  :D

• Like 1

Depends how you like the power - I've changed mine around from 2 to 3 as I can't decide what I like best. Program 2 is very linear, almost petrol like in delivery, whereas 3 is very low down huge heaps of torque and actually makes the car feel better, especially on the motorway. Currently running 3+2 and it's great! Otherwise I use 2+2.

Very impressed with the CRD3 though - great bit of kit!

Is yours DSG or manual?  

Seriously tempted by a vRS 4x4, just had a quote from New Car Discount with 19% discount including options, that's almost £6k saving!

Try these guys, best deal I could find......http://www.new-car-deal.co.uk/ had a load of extras & got a £6776 saving making my extras cost me about £600!!! :-)