Amundsen - GPS Speed Display?

Citigopher

Well - that's one word more than anyone else has offered! ;)

What else is there to say!

It would be useful though - I'm used to looking at my Garmin when using the wife's car.

Problem I guess with a built in is that it will give different readings to the speedo and Maxidot!

I suspect if it did display speed (which would be be very useful) it would be one Skoda instrument showing another Skoda instrument to be inaccurate causing complaints from those that do not know speedo's read about 9% fast.

The PID in our Citigo does it and as you say gives a pretty good idea of speedo error. It also reads texts to me from my Windows phone (and I can dictate them too). All things that the Amundsen II can't do :(

It also reads texts to me from my Windows phone (and I can dictate them too). All things that the Amundsen II can't do :(

It does if you've got Android :sun:

Quite. Interesting that Skoda make absolutely no mention of the fact it doesn't work with WP in the handbook. For the Citigo PID, the reverse is true if anything. That runs Windows CE under the hood and the first I knew of the text reading function was when the voice asked me if I wanted a text read to me. To quote a Certain Other Company, "It justs works". No set up required. Yet we pretty much gave up trying to get my daughters' iPhone to reliably pair with it & streaming stuff from it is a pain.

As for the Amundsen - I'm not going back to Android just for texts to function.

Edited by Citigopher

Whilst I'm pretty interested in tech I don't have a smartphone and have never paired any phone with any car I've had.

I've also never used the voice commands in any car I've had - I suppose I should make the effort!

Instead of/as well as using voice control for the sat nav/ice etc. why don't they use it for e.g. operating the wipers and dipping the headlights etc? I might be more bothered to use it then.

Whilst I'm pretty interested in tech I don't have a smartphone and have never paired any phone with any car I've had.

I've also never used the voice commands in any car I've had - I suppose I should make the effort!

Instead of/as well as using voice control for the sat nav/ice etc. why don't they use it for e.g. operating the wipers and dipping the headlights etc? I might be more bothered to use it then.

Because with any voice command system, you must first press a button on the steering wheel each time to put the system into 'listen' mode - just as easy to operate the relevant control stalk. The voice commands tend to be for more complex functions to operate manually that involve several 'button presses' and/or taking your eyes off the road.

That said, in cars I have had it, I haven't used it to its full potential as it involves learning the precise instructions the system insists upon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Falmouthboy

That's true with existing voice control but it will probably change in the future given that speech is our more often used form of communication, with manual operation as well for those that need it. Guess part (probably mainly!) part of the reason is also safety i.e. the command isn't understood due to pronunciation/accent/clarity etc. which could be a bit of a problem with some functions!

I think your last sentence sums up why I can't be bothered with it. Might have a go with it one day from a gimmick point of view.

Edited by VAGCF

With regards to using the voice controlI have a new theory of why it doesn't work for me,not my age but I think the voice processor was designed by a woman so it doesn't really listen properly to what I say!

Edited by Sad555
  • Like 2

The PID in our Citigo does it and as you say gives a pretty good idea of speedo error. It also reads texts to me from my Windows phone (and I can dictate them too). All things that the Amundsen II can't do :(

My Amundsen II reads out my text messages just fine...