superb mk1 front suspension

Three days after I picked up my 56-plate superb V6 automatic, I'm not sure whether it's a 'project' or a 'car'.

Maybe I am slightly exaggerating, but I don't trust the dealer, so I had it checked in a VGA garage. 

In fact, on the same day of collection, driver-side window's regulator was gone (according to the garage).

This morning, they produced a long list and a fat invoice.

The window: 266 quid (I had cheaper quote somewhere else)

brake pads: can't remember exactly how much, but looks more acceptable than the rest (worn thin -- which is understandable)

front suspension: 2 drop links, 2 lower arms (shockers moving side to side -- how convincing is that?)

All inclusive: 1181 quid

I guess I'll start from the brake pads, and leave the rest for later, of course in a different garage. 

What would you do? Cheers!

The cost of fixing these will depend very much on whether you are doing it, or a worksop.

Window regulator...if it's the cable that is broken there is an excellent thread showing how to repair it here   http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/212345-window-repair-skoda-superb/

Nackuk replaces the cable (search "passat window regulator" on ebay for the parts) and it's around £12, but it is slightly less fiddly to replace the cables and runners for about £17, or easiest of all is the whole regulator panel with runners and cables for about £35.  All these options show in that ebay search.

Brake pads on www.carparts4less.co.uk are between £30 and £40 for the front set and £15 to £20 for the rears. 

Suspension arms and drop links:  There are many cheap (£120 ish) sets available which have mixed reviews, from "no problem, they lasted four years or more", to "they started knocking again within a year".  Good names to look for are Febi, Lemforder, Meyle.  A whole set of about a dozen components can be good value and it might be wise to change the whole lot, but if it's just two lower arms and the two drop links then it's probably most sensible to just replace those parts.

These cars can be run relatively cheaply if you do the work yourself, or find a friendly and knowledgeable workshop.  Most of the problems and their solutions are well documented on the forums.

Just noticed it's a 2.5 Auto...that introduces a few more possible problems!

• Like 1

Thanks a lot! I wish I could do it myself. 

I've read that step-by-step repair, amasing stuff. 

I don't understand how bad it can get if I don't replace the arms and links... does that affect the tracking? or handling?

It feels some garage cherry-pick problems, and you are not there to see it yourself.

The cost of fixing these will depend very much on whether you are doing it, or a worksop.

Window regulator...if it's the cable that is broken there is an excellent thread showing how to repair it here   http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/212345-window-repair-skoda-superb/

Nackuk replaces the cable (search "passat window regulator" on ebay for the parts) and it's around £12, but it is slightly less fiddly to replace the cables and runners for about £17, or easiest of all is the whole regulator panel with runners and cables for about £35.  All these options show in that ebay search.

Brake pads on www.carparts4less.co.uk are between £30 and £40 for the front set and £15 to £20 for the rears. 

Suspension arms and drop links:  There are many cheap (£120 ish) sets available which have mixed reviews, from "no problem, they lasted four years or more", to "they started knocking again within a year".  Good names to look for are Febi, Lemforder, Meyle.  A whole set of about a dozen components can be good value and it might be wise to change the whole lot, but if it's just two lower arms and the two drop links then it's probably most sensible to just replace those parts.

These cars can be run relatively cheaply if you do the work yourself, or find a friendly and knowledgeable workshop.  Most of the problems and their solutions are well documented on the forums.

Just noticed it's a 2.5 Auto...that introduces a few more possible problems!

• Like 1

If you've only just bought the car then the selling garage is responsible for these repairs, unless they were disclosed at the time of sale? 

No these aren't disclosed. 

These issues were flagged up in the MOT before the recent one, suggesting they aren't regarded as failure or advisory in the most recent one.

So I'm not sure whether the recent MOT was too lenient or the garage was too harsh. 

It could be the case where the dealer fixed the suspension to the standard that get the MOT passed, but it wasn't done properly.

If you've only just bought the car then the selling garage is responsible for these repairs, unless they were disclosed at the time of sale? 

Who did the mot? Same as the selling garage.

Good question!

It seems that the window regulator is something that has to be done.

If the brake pads really are low, then it's best to replace them.

If the suspension arms pass the MOT and are not knocking, then leave them for the time being.  Is there irregular wear on the front tyres?

Edited by Tdi1.9

To Danny57 and Tdi1.9, 

Good question - I need to have a look at the MOT certificate. They said they sent cars to a garage that does MOT (well, unless that's registered under the dealer's name as well).

I won't touch the window and suspension until my bank account is replenished, and until I get to see how bad the suspension really is.

The tyres look pretty new to me, but the front ones are different makes. Braking seems reasonably responsive when I exited A1. I don't hear any knocking at the moment (touch wood).

I am still impressed by the solid build quality and smooth/quiet ride. I guess I just have to be patient and accept that there got to be wear-and-tear problems and I shall address them one at a time.

drop link pair is only 30 pounds and takes 20 mins to change, you don't even have to raise the car up.  As long as the pinch bolts are not stuck any front suspension work is almost a piece of cake on these cars.  Do the work and enjoy the nice motor.  Mine is also a 2.5 auto and not many cars can match it for smoothness and quietness on a long cruise, unless you spend a lot lot lot more money.

• Like 1

I completely agree with you - nothing else (well, the parking aid isn't working, and I have to fix the electric window) disappoints me.

But I'm not even sure what needs replacing any more. 

If excessive movement of the multilink suspension is due to worn bushes, why replacing the droplink and arms? Is this just how garages rip us off or those parts need replacing after a certain mileage?

drop link pair is only 30 pounds and takes 20 mins to change, you don't even have to raise the car up.  As long as the pinch bolts are not stuck any front suspension work is almost a piece of cake on these cars.  Do the work and enjoy the nice motor.  Mine is also a 2.5 auto and not many cars can match it for smoothness and quietness on a long cruise, unless you spend a lot lot lot more money.

Yes, it helps, thanks a lot! 

i have fixed window regulator today, successfully. Within 3h. and it cost me 14€.
I have used this:

$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-PASSAT-3B-FENSTERHEBER-REPARATURSATZ-KOMPLETT-MITNEHMER-VORNE-LINKS-/151613610694?hash=item234ce01ac6:g:Ub8AAOSwzOxUVXWo

if it helps...