Gearbox Oil Change Guide With Part Numbers STICKY

hypojam

After struggling to find any info on the specific type of oil used in the UP! gearbox I took the plunge rung up VW and bought me a bottle of this:

IMG_20160305_104324.jpg

img_20160305_104336.jpg

VW Part Number G 052 527 A2  -   £27.50 per Litre  (Super expensivesmiley11.gif)

I checked with the VW parts man multiple times to verify this is the specific oil for the VW UP! gearbox and he said yes. It does look and smells similar to what drained out originally.

This oil is VERY VERY thin, More like the viscosity of Automatic Transmission Fluid!

If you use a regular GL4 Gear oil in this gearbox gear shift quality will be reduced and will be much harder to shift when cold.

This VW part number does reference on some other oil manufactures websites so an alternative may be able to be found.

Quick guide out of the manual on how to change the oil:

Drain Plug. Tighten Back to 30NM
up-1530.png

Take the airbox off(just pulls up and away no bolts)

Put hand down behind engine on top of gearbox and feel for plastic blanking plug, its held in place by a torx bolt.

Remove bolt and pull plastic blanking plug out of gearbox (can be a little stuck at first)

Refill with oil (1 litre capacity)
up-1531.png

Doing this procedure didn't cure any of the classic rattling noises you get with these gearboxes. They just seem to be noisey even with exra thick oil in them which i tried before. Ive resorted back to vw oil because shift quality is awful with thicker oils.
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...