New 2016 Yeti can't make hands free call

No19

I think the moral to the story is that some sales staff are more knowledgeable than others. I don't imagine many plain lie about this sort of stuff, but some would rather guess than check thinking that to do so would make them look bad. Clearly great if they are right, but making them look stupid if wrong. In their defence, car specs are so complex and changeable these days, there is a lot to absorb across the range, but that's no excuse for not checking.

Bottom line, if a particular feature is important to you or a 'deal breaker' ask the specific question and get it in writing. Easiest way is to drop the question into an e-mail possibly stating it's important to you once you have it in writing you can then press for amends to be made if the car turns up without it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

No19, did they charge you extra for this..... "I have had smart link fitted"

I paid extra for the smart link to be fitted. Android Auto works fine, however only available on phones with Android 5 and above, something the sales person did not know or point out at time of sale, I was aware and an excuse to upgrade my phone. What I cant get to work is mirror link via smart link, but this is due to phone compatibility issues, apparently very few phone manufacturers support this, but again sales person did not advise at time of ordering or ask what type of phone I use, perhaps down to me, should have done my homework more before ordering.

Fully agree with post 27, particularly when you are trying to marry phone technology with car technology. If in doubt get it in writing.

Also agree that for £20 voice control should be included on a £20K car!

Just a thought - is voice control something that could be enabled via VCDS? As the microphone & all the connection stuff must be present to allow 'normal' in car calling & the steering wheel button is fitted too, it would appear that there's no hardware missing.

No19, did they charge you extra for this..... "I have had smart link fitted"

Ive got to pay £130 this Friday for an 'Activation Code" !!!!!

Also agree that for £20 voice control should be included on a £20K car!

I have an L&K which was slightly (much) more than £20k but still had to pay £25 for heated washer jets even though a heated screen is standard.

I do however have voice activation which will probably never ever get used.

Ive got to pay £130 this Friday for an 'Activation Code" !!!!!

If you do I would be interested to know if it then works. From older threads on  here it seemed that "Activation" did not work unless Smartlink had been factory fitted?

If you do I would be interested to know if it then works. From older threads on  here it seemed that "Activation" did not work unless Smartlink had been factory fitted?

Surely if it's 'factory fitted' it will be already activated.

My head unit has the icon but it's greyed out with advice to contact the dealer for an activation code.

I'm going tomorrow afternoon and will let you know.

I also think it's really unreasonable to not supply voice activation across the range in if you are going to make a thing about your cars having Bluetooth as standard.

If you have Smartlink and Apple there's a button on the touchscreen to activate Siri, who you can boss about.

Re Bluetooth/Smartlink, from reading the manual if you stick your phone in the Smartlink usb thing it takes over the Bluetooth connection, and you need to use Smartlink to make calls.

Just ordered 2nd Yeti, hence the over enthusiastic reading of new manuals.

Apologies in advance if I'm on the wrong track here.

I can "voice send" texts from my Nexus 6P via OK Google. I pick up our new Yeti SE with Smartlink on Monday. Via android auto, I'm expecting to do the same via OK Google and Smartlink, whatever buttons are on the steering wheel.

Am I in for disappointment?

Thanks for all the comments. I did pay to have smart link fitted and would have paid extra for the voice control too if I had known it didn't come with the car - as promised. Will be asking the dealership tomorrow I can have it installed. Glad the puzzle is solved as spent a couple of chilly hours on the drive Monday night trying to get it voice control to work.

Really cross !!!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments. I did pay to have smart link fitted and would have paid extra for the voice control too if I had known it didn't come with the car - as promised. Will be asking the dealership tomorrow I can have it installed. Glad the puzzle is solved as spent a couple of chilly hours on the drive Monday night trying to get it voice control to work.

Really cross !!!!!!

Voice control via OK Google (Android Auto) or Siri (Apple Carplay) not an option for you? 

• 5 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting this thread.

My 2015 Skoda Yeti (Outdoor Se Business Tdi 150 4WD) is coming up to being 1 year old, so will be due its first service soonish. I'm keen to get voice control & Apple CarPlay working, as just now I'm limited to the standard bluetooth/USB connection which requires using the screen or MFD to make calls etc.

If I ask my dealer to activate SmartLink (at whatever that costs):

(a) Is that possible?

(B) Will that give me voice control? Or do I need to ask for that separately?

Yes when you pay to have the Smartlink software installed it will enable you to use the speech button on the steering wheel. When I press mine Siri asks what I want etc.

Edited by No19

If I ask my dealer to activate SmartLink (at whatever that costs):

(a) Is that possible?

( B) Will that give me voice control? Or do I need to ask for that separately?

If the car was built post May 2015 it can be activated.

If the car was built post May 2015 it can be activated.

I think the dealer will charge you £150 as indicated in a previous post to do this.