Change of tyres for Michelin Cross Climate.

K100RS

Where does that information come from?  I'm not saying it's not genuine, just interested in where one could go to get it other than Briskoda (an insurance company could reasonably decline to accept information that doesn't have a verifiable official source).

The owner's manual says "The approved tyres and rim sizes for your vehicle are listed in the vehicle's technical documentation (the so called COC document)".  Is that part of the documentation pack that comes with the car?  Can't say that I recall seeing it.

Ah, after a quick Google it appears that to get the COC document for your vehicle you have to e-mail VW group with the chassis number.  See here:

If you are importing a vehicle under 10-years old from another EU country, you'll need a European Certificate of Conformity (COC) for the DVLA. The COC is an official document issued to all vehicles built to be sold and registered within the EU. The certificate confirms the vehicle has been tested and meets EU Type Approval standards. This official document is recognised by all relevant authorities.

To order your certificate, please email your request to [email protected], stating your full chassis number. You will be contacted via email when your documents are available and being posted to you.

What is a Certificate of Conformity (COC)
This is an official document issued for all vehicles built to be sold and registered within the European Union. It confirms the vehicle has been tested and meets EU Type Approval Standards. The Certificate of Conformity is unique to each vehicle and contains various technical specifications of the vehicle at the time of manufacture.

I'd have thought that should shut up a stroppy insurance company.  Then again, some insurance companies manage to give the impression that they make the rules up as they go along...

(A final, slightly mischievous thought: can they actually issue a COC for a EURO 5 diesel Yeti just now, given that it won't have had the NOx emissions 'cheat device' fix applied and therefore doesn't "conform"?!)

Where does that information come from?

Look in the Skoda Yeti Owners Manual that came with the car, it's been copied from there!

Edited by Urrell

So the V and W speed ratings referred to earlier and what some models come with are well above what Skoda require for the cars?

If so that makes sense because the tyres are manufactured to suit a range of different cars many of which have top speeds well above those of the Yeti models. The loading is more important than the top speed.

So armed with the info. from the handbook and the tyres recommended on the Michelin web-site I think any insurance company would find it difficult to say that the tyres don't meet the required specification. 

And in the unlikely situation where the insurance onbudsman good involved in a case I think they would throw out any refusal to pay out by an insurance company.

Edited by VAGCF

Look in the Skoda Yeti Owners Manual that came with the car, it's been copied from there!

It's definitely not in the manual that came with my 2010 Yeti!

The text I quoted above referencing the COC was all I could find in the 2015 edition of the owner's manual available online.  Could you please clarify which edition of the manual you are referring to, and which page?

As the 1.8 TSI is mentioned it seems to be from an earlier publication.

If it's not available in a current one that's a pity as it provides additional ammunition.

The Type Approval for the wheels is as was when the Yeti was first EU Type Approved, there is no change with a Face Lift.

It's definitely not in the manual that came with my 2010 Yeti!

Could you please clarify which edition of the manual you are referring to, and which page?

11-2014 and on pages 194-195.

It would be interesting to see what the Type Approval does say.

Wouldn't it need to be updated/renewed for the Euro 6 cars?

Edited by VAGCF

11-2014 and on pages 194-195.

Thanks for that.

Looking at the online editions from November 2012 through to the latest one from November 2015, AFAICS that's the only edition that has that table in it!  Weird.  I can understand it not being there until November 2014 - the manual does seem to be more of a "work in progress" rather than being updated as and when things on the car actually change - but I can't for the life of me work out why they would then remove useful information like that from subsequent editions.  Funny people.

Edited by ejstubbs

Strange, mine is a January 2015 so that is the manual for mine.
I did not realise it would be the only one with that information in, it would make it a lot easier for owners to choose a tyre size and rating if it was in all.

VAGCF, 

EU Testing for Emissions is needed on the Euro 6 Engines / Vehicles.

Type approval on the Yeti as in the Vehicles, Original & Facelift & components is like has happened with the Fabia, 

they were type approved for the Launch, you have the Fabia,(mk1),  Fabia Mk2, Mk2 Facelift, All New 2014 Fabia with a chassis incorporating blah blah blah.

None need Factory Fitted DRL's standard because the EU Type Approval was before February 2011.

'All new is not always 'all new', just components used across the VW Group Brands often.

• Like 1

I work on the basis that if it's listed on door shut/fuel flap it's an approved figment, if it isn't listed, it's probably not a good idea. It's size, profile and load rating that really matter. Speed rating is only an issue if you fit a tyre with a speed rating lower than the cars top speed so V and W are both fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Falmouthboy

Right! Made second phone call to insurance company,told them not being able to get Skoda approved type in print but explained the speed of up to 149 with 'V' rated tyre. Short 'hold' whilst checked with underwriter then ' all OK we've noted the change on your policy - no charge' no problem!

Thanks, as usual, for BRISKODA helpful guys.

It's available online here.  To get the edition with the wheel & tyre specs in it, select "Since 2014/11" from the drop-down list labelled "Your car production period:".  Click the "Download Manual" icon and you'll have a copy of your very own.

(I suspect there might be copyright reasons why the forum mods might not be happy about a full copy of SKoda's manual being filed on their site.  If they don't have a problem with it then: well volunteered.)

Bit the bullet and put a set of the Cross Climate Michelins on.

First impressions are that they are quiet, a good midway compromise between Pirelli Rossos and winter Nokians for small bump absorbency, haven't tested their other properties yet, time will tell.

Please note that the manual with the tyre info in is currently available to view or download from the second pinned thread on the Yeti Technical section.

Full marks to BlackCircles and ATS Newmarket, great price, excellent service and the tyres seem quiet and with good ride. Will comment further as the miles rack up.