Picked up new car yesterday...bit of a drone between 55ish - 80ish mph

Any update on this issue?

I have a 2009 Skoda superb auto deisel

I've recently bought the car an I'm getting the same problem. I went to a local garage who said its the wheel bearing or gear box so I went for the cheapest option an had the wheel bearing an hub replaced. Unfortunately this hasn't made any difference but after reading other forums a few others have said they had the wheel bearing and hub changed from the dealers or had genuine parts put in an it's fixed the problem.

Has any one else been able to resolve this issue?

As further up the thread check your tyres first, rear tyre saw tooth noise is a common issue and sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Try swapping tyres front to rear to see if the noise "changes"

Edited by bigjohn

Following this with interest. I had a new Octavia hatch in 2011 which did the same with only a few thousand miles on the clock. It turned out to be a bearing which was replaced under warranty. My 62 plate superb estate does this from 55-60mph and I'm pretty sure it's a bearing. My tyres are shot tbh, which reminds me I have to go and finish pricing a set :(

Hi All,

I have the same problem... it feels like badly balanced wheels to me... It is particularly irritating on the concrete sections of the M25 (Leatherhead ish...) It's going into the dealer this week - I will let you know! 

G.

• 2 weeks later...

My car went into the dealer to get this sorted this week. All now seems to be well - went on a bit of drive afterwards and whatever they have done seems to have sorted it... I reported it to the dealer as rear wheel balance... 

Well - it is sorted - so that's good :)

G.

Will do that today and update. Thanks

I've been to the dealers an they have advised me to change all four tyres an do wheel alignment. I've been quoted £180 for four new tyres plus wheel alignment. Seems like a good price. What do u guys think?

Well, from Ireland that doesn't sound too bad - kind of depends what tyres they are giving you though! Did they tell you?

He didn't tell me the make, just that their brand new an usable all year round

He didn't tell me the make, just that their brand new an usable all year round

99% some crappy cheap tyres on which they have high profit.

For £200ish you can have 4x Uniroyal RainSport 3 delivered.

• Like 1

I've been to the dealers an they have advised me to change all four tyres an do wheel alignment. I've been quoted £180 for four new tyres plus wheel alignment. Seems like a good price. What do u guys think?

Sounds a bit too good to be true for any kind of decent tyres.  I'd be wary unless you are comfortable with whatever brand they are

I forgot to mention that he's a very good friend of mine an has a MOT garage. Lol

And ? It depends on his definition of "good quality" tyres. Some people think Avon and cheap budget tyres are perfectly fine ...

My car was fitted with Pirelli Cinturato P7 - I HAD to replace them straight away as they were horrible - for me :)

Still have them and they are like new - if anyone is interested ;) only 3k miles done by dealer

Edited by jafo

Guys, sorry for the delay...forgot about the thread!

So the good news is the car was sorted after I had basically told them they needed to fix the issue or the car is back for a full refund.

Turns out it was the front nearside bearing, once they had swapped it the noise has gone.

Not done too bad as they had replaced all 4 tyres also.

I must say though, although car is not too bad to drive the road noise compares to my 56 plate A4 sline is far more noticable...however after reading this is maybe to be expected due to the lack of sound proofing in the superb?