First tests of the Yeti II now online

A few years ago I took a driving assessment offered by my insurance company somewhat similar to an advanced driving test, with the intention of reducing my premiums (Scheme since discontinued!). My assessor was an IAM examiner.

I was appalled when he told me that I was using the handbrake wrongly because each time I applied it, I pressed in the release button as I lifted the lever and only let go of the button to engage the ratchet when the brake was on, rather than just pulling up the lever clicking through all the ratchets.

I told him that I disagreed with him as my mechanical sympathy wouldn't let me let it click all the way through it's travel. He was adamant that I was wrong, which just goes to show that "experts" are not always right!

Yep, few years ago we had a "professional" driving instructor come to our workplace to teach us how to drive more economically. 

His car was a Fiesta diesel which we drove as normal then repeated the same route but following his guidance. I was quite impressed that I was able to increase my mpg by 10 in an urban area but totally not impressed by having to drive over speed bumps much faster than my mechanical sympathy would allow and likewise labouring the engine in too high a gear.

Given that we used our own cars for work none of us adopted any of this so-called expert guidance, so that was a complete waste of time and money as so much of that corporate training nonsense is. I couldn't wait to travel home and drive normally again, even faster than usual in fact!

I told the assessor that from a mechanical point of view I wasn't happy with his driving techniques but he wouldn't have it, being purely focussed on achieving increased mpg at the expense of everything else. I think replacement springs would soon negate any savings made via "economic" driving! :D

I don't think he was too impressed with my comment that my car was a DSG either and that I didn't have much control over the gear changes!  :notme:  

Of course for most of us, driving economically is important (well most of the time) but driving well is about balance.

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1

Seat UK have published a preliminary brochure for the Ateca (no prices yet) - it can be found under the brochure section on their website - hopefully link below will work:

https://web1.seat.co.uk/sites/default/files/Ateca-Brochure-Pre-Sales-21-3-16.pdf

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of choice engine wise - e.g. you can't get a 4WD petrol at all and 4WD will only be available in Xellence trim which has lots of 'extras' I would not want yet would have to pay for. The 2WD 150PS diesel SE mind you, is attracting me as a replacement for my Yeti. It is also a decent weight still for us caravanners - 1417 kg.

When the Yeti came out - or ANY new car for that matter - the factory slowly ramps up the engine and gearbox choices over time as the factory beds in to do this new new. They never launch every trim, engine and gearbox choice from day one. When I ordered my DSG 140 Yeti in March 2010 there was no such thing to order and I had ordered a manual. Only half way through my seven month wait did the DSG become available and was I able to change my order (thankfully).

So the guinea pigs that are foolish enough to buy a car of a brand new design within the first year of manufacture, will have less choice to start with AND be saddled with issues they will be solving for VAG. Just go to the 2009 area of the Yeti section to see how many things went wrong on the first Yetis. The A-pillar cover design was changed thanks to all those first guinea pigs doing Volkswagen's R&D work for them as one example!

So be patient. Your choice of engine and transmission MIGHT become available later AND you won't be a guinea pig.

Seat UK have published a preliminary brochure for the Ateca (no prices yet) - it can be found under the brochure section on their website - hopefully link below will work:

https://web1.seat.co.uk/sites/default/files/Ateca-Brochure-Pre-Sales-21-3-16.pdf

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of choice engine wise - e.g. you can't get a 4WD petrol at all and 4WD will only be available in Xellence trim which has lots of 'extras' I would not want yet would have to pay for. The 2WD 150PS diesel SE mind you, is attracting me as a replacement for my Yeti. It is also a decent weight still for us caravanners - 1417 kg.

I might be missing it - but I can't find which models are available with DSG gearbox?

Quite!!

And exactly why AutoExpress is the equal of The Sun!

Oink Oink Flutter Flutter.

And also why failed media studies students migrate to AutoExpress. :giggle:

Fred 

Edited by g6zru
  • Like 1

Expatman - the info you wanted is on page 12 of the brochure tucked below the sketch showing dimensions: no petrol DSG; SE model (2WD) 150PS diesel has DSG option as does the 4WD 190PS Xellence model. As Johann says, there may be more engine/gearbox options added soon after launch. At present the choice is poor.

I generally agree with Johan's reasoned arguments but on this occasion the lack of engine/gearbox choice is not replicated on German and French configurators - see links below. They have the full range of engine/gearbox/4WD choice available from launch and they have prices! They only seem to have omitted the 1 litre petrol engine.

http://konfigurator.seat.de/seat-cc/desktop-desktop-007_DEFAULT-de-normal.view?msk=1#carline German configurator.

http://configurateur.seat.fr/seat-cc/desktop-desktop-004_DEFAULT-fr-normal.view?msk=1#carline French configurator.

It seems to me that Seat UK have been very conservative at least at this initial stage and why no prices?

Edited by rkenny

Expatman - the info you wanted is on page 12 of the brochure tucked below the sketch showing dimensions: no petrol DSG; SE model (2WD) 150PS diesel has DSG option as does the 4WD 190PS Xellence model. As Johann says, there may be more engine/gearbox options added soon after launch. At present the choice is poor.

Thanks, I see it now. I am thinking the new Yeti will be a clone of the Ateca, but by the time of it's launch (2018?) more engine/gearbox combinations. I don't really need a bigger Yeti so may well take advantage of run-out offers prior to the launch of the new model to buy another 'old' Yeti to replace my 2012 version. Depends what else is on the market at the time but as a cautious old-timer I won't buy a new car in it's first 18 months of life; let the first adopters sort out the teething problems!

I generally agree with Johan's reasoned arguments but on this occasion the lack of engine/gearbox choice is not replicated on German and French configurators - see links below. They have the full range of engine/gearbox/4WD choice available from launch and they have prices! They only seem to have omitted the 1 litre petrol engine.

http://konfigurator.seat.de/seat-cc/desktop-desktop-007_DEFAULT-de-normal.view?msk=1#carline German configurator.

http://configurateur.seat.fr/seat-cc/desktop-desktop-004_DEFAULT-fr-normal.view?msk=1#carline French configurator.

It seems to me that Seat UK have been very conservative at least at this initial stage and why no prices?

Interesting. Then it is a Seat UK thing to limit the range (and the parts they need to carry).

I would like to suggest we could start a new sub-section to the Yeti forum - perhaps call it Yeti II Speculation? The Ateca after all is being built on a Skoda production line! It might be helpful to have one place to go to to monitor progress with a car that most of us might see as being close to what Yeti II will be like - and that is not due for another 2 years.

Just a thought.

I would like to suggest we could start a new sub-section to the Yeti forum - perhaps call it Yeti II Speculation? The Ateca after all is being built on a Skoda production line! It might be helpful to have one place to go to to monitor progress with a car that most of us might see as being close to what Yeti II will be like - and that is not due for another 2 years.

Just a thought.

There is already a Kodiaq section to the forum so ask the admins to create something like that for the Yeti II - they did the same some time before the new Octy came out and the new Superb. But I think it is perhaps a bit too early for that for the Yeti II.

I It looks like the new Yeti has taken some features from the Ateca - mostly sculpted sides and rear.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/yeti/91163/new-skoda-yeti-suv-to-get-sharper-looks-and-more-space

“The new look kept us in intense discussions as we have a real fanbase for the current Yeti,”

I'd love to have been a fly on wall in the conversations during the early design stages. Starting with a hugely successful car, well respected by most journalists and public alike and someone says "OK, let's completely change it."

Skoda had a great opportunity to build a classic, perhaps not to the same level of success, but along the lines of the Golf.

The formula is evolution not revolution.

What a shame.

I agree that a great opportunity has been missed here.

More understandable if Skoda were a standalone manufacturer but when there are other members of the VAG producing similar vehicles, most notably SEAT, then it is a shame.

Obviously the most senior management, rather than taking a global/overall view of their SUV products seem to be just allowing the brands within VAG to compete against each other rather than complement each other. I accept that for some models e.g. Audi there are some types of cars only manufactured by them i.e. TT and high-performance, but they are much smaller sellers than the cars and SUVs that are competing against each other within VAG. Well to some extent as a similar Audi is much more expensive than a Skoda, but there can be quite an overlap in prices. 

Interesting analogy with the powers coming to Manchester for spending/budget responsibilities?

Edited by VAGCF

I It looks like the new Yeti has taken some features from the Ateca - mostly sculpted sides and rear.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/yeti/91163/new-skoda-yeti-suv-to-get-sharper-looks-and-more-space

“The new look kept us in intense discussions as we have a real fanbase for the current Yeti,”

I'd love to have been a fly on wall in the conversations during the early design stages. Starting with a hugely successful car, well respected by most journalists and public alike and someone says "OK, let's completely change it."

Skoda had a great opportunity to build a classic, perhaps not to the same level of success, but along the lines of the Golf.

The formula is evolution not revolution.

What a shame.

But that isn't a photograph of the car!!

That is only AE's photoshop rendition of what they THINK it will look like!

• Like 1

But that isn't a photograph of the car!!

That is only AE's photoshop rendition of what they THINK it will look like!

And has been proved MANY times, AE really has no idea about these things with them having the worst speculative renders of future cars this side of a child doing it in kindergarten.

I'd pay VERY little attention to that AE render.

• Like 1

Yes, 2WD suits most folks requirements.

If I'd had the choice I'd have gone for a 2.0 150PS diesel with a 6 speed manual rather than the 110PS with a 5 speed. Power's OK but would be better with a 6 speed gear box. I get caught too often between ratios and it would be even more economical with an extra cog.

• Like 1

Seat UK have released prices:

Full price and specifications list

Version CO2 g/km BIK On-the-road price (inc. VAT)

S 1.0 TSI 115 Ecomotive 123 21% £17,990

S 1.6 TDI 115 Ecomotive 112 22% £20,175

SE 1.0 TSI 115 Ecomotive 123 21% £19,590

SE 1.4 TSI 150 EcoTSI 125 22% £21,015

SE 1.6 TDI 115 Ecomotive 112 22% £21,900

SE 2.0 TDI 150 114 22% £22,930

SE 2.0 TDI 150 DSG-auto 116 23% £24,275

XCELLENCE 1.4 TSI 150 125 22% £23,905

XCELLENCE 2.0 TDI 150 114 22% £25,815

XCELLENCE 2.0 TDI DSG150 116 23% £27,165

XCELLENCE 2.0 TDI 150 4Drive128 25% £27,425

XCELLENCE 2.0 TDI 190 DSG-auto 4Drive 131 26% £29,990

These seem reasonable prices at first glance. Must have a look at current Yeti prices and compare. There really are some glaring omissions - e.g. a 4WD non-DSG diesel in SE trim. The 150PS petrol SE model looks very good value at £21000.

Edited by rkenny

At least they have the 1.4 TSI in lower spec than the current Yeti.

The closest to mine I guess is the XCELLENCE TDI 150 which is considerably more expensive.

A better comparison is the Yeti SE L 2.0 TDI 150 4x4 at £24620 retail v the XCELLENCE 2.0 TDI 150 4Drive at £27425.

Perhaps the Yeti version will be more competitive?

Edited by VAGCF

Full price list now available on Seat UK website:

https://web1.seat.co.uk/sites/defaul...ist-042016.pdf

No ACC possible with manual gearbox? Also no folding front passenger seat available, something which I have found very useful on my last 2 cars.

Hmm,  sorry, link not working for me :wonder:

Thanks Johann - don't you think these prices a bit high? The Ateca SE 2WD 150PS diesel is just under £23000 and the Tiguan 2WD SE with the same engine costs £27280. The Seat is slightly smaller and I haven't compared the specs yet but over £4000 difference is hard to justify - or maybe I'm missing something?

Two points that intrigue me - why, given that nearly all the Tiguan engines have Adblue, are the CO2 values still way more than the Ateca which does without the Adblue?; and it amazes me that there is only one petrol engine to choose from. Given the dieselgate scandal you'd think petrol would have a greater prominence.