First tests of the Yeti II now online

Apologies regarding 'the lack of petrol engines'. I should have read the article Johann posted in which it said the 1.4 TSi engine will be offered later.

The reason I posted the Tiguan prices was to show how silly they are. And it doesn't even have a 190hp diesel at all (yet)! So the equivalent engine (once it arrives in the Tiguan) will cost EVEN MORE. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Further to post #70 above, I contacted Skoda UK to ask if it was a mistake that Adaptive Cruise Control is not available with manual gearbox models. They replied quickly, which was good. Unfortunately they confirmed ACC will only be an option with DSG models at launch. This seems silly since ACC is available on all SE, FR models in the Leon range. I really would like ACC on my next car but want a manual gearbox. Looks like the Ateca won't be that car! At least with the Golf SV, Adaptive Cruise Control is standard on SE and GT models. I'm now leaning towards the SV for my next car in March next year. As others have said, it is probably a good idea anyway to allow time to iron out early production issues with a new model.

"Confidential sales briefing" memo seen today says Yeti Mk2 is expected to be available for "UK pre-order" in Q2 2018, with UK deliveries commencing late Q3 2018.

Plenty of time for that to change of course.

Enquired of Seat customer service as to availability of DSG on petrol versions of the new Seat Ateca. Quick reply from Seat customer service saying "their Product Marketing Team have confirmed there are no plans to introduce a DSG automated transmission with the petrol engined Ateca. However should there be sufficient demand in the UK market, this decision may be reviewed in the future." 

So that rules the Ateca out for me. 

That doesn't make any sense does it and may like you rule out many potential owners. Especially if there is a significant swing back towards petrol.

Many Yeti 1.2 owners opt for DSG because as well as offering relaxed driving that engine benefits from the numerous ratios and regular gear changes that DSG provides.

If, on other engines, it's the 7 speed DSG, I wouldn't want to be using a 7 speed manual! And if as likely, it's a 6 speed manual, it's not going to perform as well.

Edited by VAGCF

Makes no sense at all and Seat Customer Service rep almost said as much! You would have thought that with all VAG's problems with "Dieselgate" they would be eager to meet customer demands. The Yeti 1.2Tsi DSG has been, and still is, very popular and the lack of a petrol DSG will certainly inhibit sales of the Ateca.

Now looking at the Renault Kadjar which has just added a petrol "DSG" to the range.

Further to post #70 above, I contacted Skoda UK to ask if it was a mistake that Adaptive Cruise Control is not available with manual gearbox models. They replied quickly, which was good. Unfortunately they confirmed ACC will only be an option with DSG models at launch. This seems silly since ACC is available on all SE, FR models in the Leon range. I really would like ACC on my next car but want a manual gearbox. Looks like the Ateca won't be that car! At least with the Golf SV, Adaptive Cruise Control is standard on SE and GT models. I'm now leaning towards the SV for my next car in March next year. As others have said, it is probably a good idea anyway to allow time to iron out early production issues with a new model.

ACC is standard on the octavia SEL too. Works well with the manual gearbox.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I had a look at the Seat configurators in France and Germany and compiled the comparison below:

Engine/gearbox/options availability

UK

S 1.0 TSi petrol 6 speed manual;

1.6 TDi diesel 6 speed manual

SE 1.0 TSi petrol 6 speed manual; 1.4 TSi petrol 6 speed manual

1.6 TDi 6 speed manual; 2.0 TDi 6 speed manual; 2.0 TDi DSG auto

X'L. 1.4 TSi 6 speed manual

2.0 TDi 6 speed manual; 2.0 TDi DSG auto; 2.0 TDi 6 speed manual 4Drive - all 150PS

2.0 TDi 190PS DSG auto 4Drive

France

Reference1.0 TSi petrol 6 speed manual;

Style 1.4 TSi 6 speed manual; 1.4 TSi DSG7 auto; 1.4 TSi 6 speed manual 4Drive

1.6 TDi 6 sp man; 2.0 TDi 6 sp man; 2.0 TDi DSG7 auto; 2.0 TDi 6 sp man 4Drive

Xellence 1.4 TSi 6 speed manual: 1.4 TSi DSG7 auto; 1.4 TSi 6 speed manual 4Drive

2.0 TDi 6 speed manual; 2.0 TDi DSG7 auto; 2.0 TDi 6 sp man 4Drive;

2.0 TDi 190PS DSG7 auto 4Drive

Germany

Ref'ce. 1.0 TSi petrol 6 speed manual;

Style 1.0 TSi petrol 6 speed manual

1.4 TSi 6 speed manual; 1.4 TSi DSG7 auto; 1.4 TSi 6 speed manual 4Drive

1.4 TSi DSG7 auto 4Drive

1.6 TDi 6 sp man; 2.0 TDi 6 sp man; 2.0 TDi DSG7 auto; 2.0 TDi 6 sp man 4Drive

Xellence 1.4 TSi 6 speed manual: 1.4 TSi DSG7 auto; 1.4 TSi 6 speed manual 4Drive;

1.4 TSi DSG7 auto 4Drive

2.0 TDi 6 speed manual; 2.0 TDi DSG7 auto; 2.0 TDi 6 sp man 4Drive;

2.0 TDi 190PS DSG7 auto 4Drive

The much restricted choice means fewer sales I'm sure. The choice in Germany is as it should be!

My own particular gripe is the lack of ACC availability in manual cars. In France and Germany ACC is generally available for only €200 or so.

I would love to know how Seat in the UK come to these decisions. I know Skoda UK also come in for similar lack of choice e.g. lack of choice in petrol engines. Is it because we are RHD? - tho' can't see why that would make a difference.

• Like 1

Seat UK got back to me with answers to some questions I had. For the caravanners among us, the nosewieght of the Ateca will be 80kg. They have 'had a re-think' about ACC - it will now also be available on manual gearbox cars.

An obvious omission, as silver1011 says, is a petrol 4x4. It is available because other countries have the option - so maybe in time here as well.

I have found Seat UK very responsive and helpful I must say.

Edited by rkenny

Seat UK got back to me with answers to some questions I had. For the caravanners among us, the nosewieght of the Ateca will be 80kg. They have 'had a re-think' about ACC - it will now also be available on manual gearbox cars.

An obvious omission, as silver1011 says, is a petrol 4x4. It is available because other countries have the option - so maybe in time here as well.

I have found Seat UK very responsive and helpful I must say.

It's going to be interesting to see what offers, if any, Seat have when the advanced order book is opened in early May.

• 2 weeks later...

Broker configurators now appearing for the Ateca - really surprising discounts available. Broadspeed has discounts ranging from £3000 to £5000. Hopefully it is not a mistake!

That would be quite a high discount for a new car introduction but nice work if you can get it. The brokers are certainly driving the new care prices down but I'm not sure what they does for the second hand car market and part exchange deals?

That would be quite a high discount for a new car introduction but nice work if you can get it. The brokers are certainly driving the new care prices down but I'm not sure what they does for the second hand car market and part exchange deals?

Obviously this will reduce the trade in prices , BUT this is going to happen whether you pay full RRP or get a cracking broker deal, so for me its a no brainer.

Within weeks of the MKIII Superb going on sale, the broker I used to purchase my Octy Scout was offering a minimum of £4.5k off. I think it went as high as £5,300 for the L&K.

When looking to purchase my Scout back in 2010 I was informed by numerous Skoda salesmen there was no need to offer discount on it as they almost sold themselves.

The £4.5k discount I got from the broker proved otherwise!

Edited by Guest

You begin to wonder what the 'real' price of a new car is?  The dealers who accept the brokers deal must still be making money even if it's based more on a higher volume of cars passing through the business with less margin?

You begin to wonder what the 'real' price of a new car is?  The dealers who accept the brokers deal must still be making money even if it's based more on a higher volume of cars passing through the business with less margin?

There is the invoice price to the manufacturer, let's call this 10% less

Might be less if there is special finance or a dealer deposit contribution.

But the dealer also gets various rebates which mean they could sell at an invoice loss, but still make money.

1) commissions on any financial or insurance products (luckily the regulators now allow you to ask what they get as part of transparent pricing, but I doubt many volunteer this info unless formally asked)

2) promotions if manufacturer wants to shift certain models, or old stock, this is why dealers often buy cars for pre reg in a colour or spec that no-one else actually wanted, so still unsold, and is basically the unloved runt of the make.

3) volume targets rebate. If sell X sold per month or quarter then given a fixed sum. This can be a 5 figure number. As an example (and don't have to be a genius to work out) if you get £50k for selling 50 cars, effectively getting reduction of £1000 per car. Assuming this is stepped with volume, a fleet dealer shifting 500 cars probably getting multiple times this.

The real price is not the theoretical invoice price, but the price less the credits and rebates.

Agreed that about sums it up having just ordered my third Yeti with a substantial dealer discount and the best PX for my current car that I'd been offered.

Interestingly I've been interested in the Seat Ateca but decided to let it get into the world before taking it further, however, the forum I'd joined is saying that the brokers are already offering between £4-5k of a new price.

+1

When brokers can offer 20%+ of a new factory ordered L&K with your own added options there is obviously a substantial discount / rebate for them over the dealer who buys a handful of cars.

+1

When brokers can offer 20%+ of a new factory ordered L&K with your own added options there is obviously a substantial discount / rebate for them over the dealer who buys a handful of cars.

Brokers usually buy via dealers on a fleet sale agreement (whats a fleet? usually a minimum of 3 cars over a 12 month period) and the broker typically works for 1-2% of dealers fleet buy price (not bad for doing very little save point your inquiry at the dealer, no showroom, no stock, few staff.)

So the price your getting is usually "fleet" and a percentage of any bonnet bonus or other sales incentive that's current at the time of order.

However be assured, you will never get anyone to sell you a car that they don't make money from, so if you are pushing a dealer to match a broker (CarFile, DTD etc) dont ever feel sorry and the worst they can say is NO ... and that never killed anyone.

Plenty of dealers will say YES, but make sure your talking oranges and oranges and  be sure of your facts/figures, esp if using a PCP deal re, rebates or contributions which are usually manufacturer funded and shouldn't form any part of the price your trying to negotiate, they get added after the price is set.

Edited by TruckbusUK

Brokers usually buy via dealers on a fleet sale agreement (whats a fleet? usually a minimum of 3 cars over a 12 month period) and the broker typically works for 1-2% of dealers fleet buy price (not bad for doing very little save point your inquiry at the dealer, no showroom, no stock, few staff.)

I bought my Yeti via DtD and it was all done via a back office person in the dealer's fleet department. So I never had the touchy feely experience from the main showroom. Did it bother me? Not one bit since I've already test driven the Yeti by the time I pressed the final button on the DtD website. First time I laid eyes on the actual dealership was when I went to collect my car seven months after ordering. :)

I bought my Yeti via DtD and it was all done via a back office person in the dealer's fleet department. So I never had the touchy feely experience from the main showroom. Did it bother me? Not one bit since I've already test driven the Yeti by the time I pressed the final button on the DtD website. First time I laid eyes on the actual dealership was when I went to collect my car seven months after ordering. :)

When we bought the Yeti via Carwow it was no different to a customer who walked in from the street... apart from the discount had already been agreed before we got there, I really wanted to use Carwow (and Allams) again for my Superb L&K purchase, but they could not get anywhere near the NCD offer I was given.