Citigo Suspension

AdrianEJS

Hi, 

I've just bought myself a 2013 Skoda Citigo Ambition GreenTec, a red one and i love it. It has right over 40k KM on the counter and it is in quite good condition, but i have some questions regarding the suspension on the car. 

Daily i work as a Pizza delivery and there i drive a 2013 VW Up Groove edition with 60k km on the counter, quite the same car in many points, but the main difference, except equipment is the suspension. On the UP i drive at work the suspension is quite good. It handles speedbumps and holes in the road great and i feel comfortable when i drive the car on challenging roads(and yeah, here in Norway they love speedbumps, and you are good if you can't find holes in the road). 

And then it's my Citigo.... The suspension compared to the Up is quite hard and harsh, holes in the road and speedbumps is not a great experience at speeds from 20 kp/h and up, the whole car is shaking pretty bad, and my spine feels like it's shrinking after a drive at some bad roads, no kidding. Im sure most of you guys here have driven a bit to fast over a speedbump and felt the car hit your but and back pretty hard, yes, this is how my citigo is at every bump in the road and speedbump, as long as i dont break down to around 15 kp/h. Compared to the UP i drive at work, i can take the same speedbump and drive that car over it at around 40-50 kp/h and still feel comfortable. 

So my question here is, what is the main difference between these two cars, and what can i do to make my Citigo's suspension like the UP? 

I've read that the GreenTec model are lowered and the tires are low-profile tires, can this have something to do with it? 

Please help me out here, i love my Citigo, but i hate my suspension. 

Regards Adrian 

Hi and welcome. I also have a greentech with the lowered suspension and mine currently has just over 12k on the clock. Since new it has been a little crashy over bumps and ruts and pulling out of the driveway the front suspension sounds like it tops out. I guess the slight lowering does make a difference compared to the Up! I do not find it excessively harsh though. 

Years ago I had a Peugeot 106 which was light years ahead of anything else for speedbumps. I would not dream of driving the Citigo over the bumps as quickly as I did with that car..... but French cars did always seem more softly sprung then. 

Edited by listensqueak

Hit the nail on the head, if yours is Greentech it will be 15mm lower and a little more firmer, remember the 15mm lowering springs used on the greentech are also used on the Sport/Monte Carlo model, you also I suspect have 16" wheels? May be wrong though, the Up! which you drive at work, is it a base model? Or the model up, the equivalent of a Citigo SE, if so that'll have 14" wheels and higher suspension over the greentech, there's not a whole lot that can be done, other than getting a smaller wheel size and changing the suspension to that of the SE model springs, however this will come with side effects I'm sure, poorer mpg etc

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Years ago I had a Peugeot 106 which was light years ahead of anything else for speedbumps. I would not dream of driving the Citigo over the bumps as quickly as I did with that car..... but French cars did always seem more softly sprung then. 

I've had a 205 and a 309 and will definitly agree, especially the 309, £400 and it kept passing mots, so obviously i didnt care too much about it, very quick over speed bumps.

Sorry to hear you are not happy, Adrian. As indicated above, there are standard springs and shorter springs which give a 15mm lower ride which is firmer. GreenTech and Sport/Monte Carlo models have the shorter springs (BlueMotion Tech or Sport pack on the Up). The lower ride is good for handling and offers a small aerodynamic advantage for fuel economy. I don't see why you can't change the springs but it won't be cheap. As mentioned above, the other factor is the wheels. The Citigo/Up/Mii come with 14'', 15'' or 16'' wheels. The bigger the wheels the harder the ride will be because they come with lower profile tyres to fit. You can tell by looking for the numbers on the side of the tyres, e.g. 165/70 R 14 is 14'' and 185/55 R 15 is 15''. Do you have a set of 14'' wheels for your winter tyres? The taller sidewalls on the 14'' tyres will give a softer ride. The Up might have bigger wheels but the standard springs? But both factors will affect ride comfort. 

This was one of the main reasons why when ticking the boxes of our Citigo Elegance ASG we passed on the 'sports suspension' option.

On the more comfortable settings the car is fantastic to dive over the rubbish UK roads we seem to have these days

What we decided to do was upgrade to the 15" alloys so it looked more sporty but the suspension height is unnoticeable compared to sports or greetech.

On winter tyres 14" the ride is even more comfy.

This was one of the main reasons why when ticking the boxes of our Citigo Elegance ASG we passed on the 'sports suspension' option.

On the more comfortable settings the car is fantastic to dive over the rubbish UK roads we seem to have these days

What we decided to do was upgrade to the 15" alloys so it looked more sporty but the suspension height is unnoticeable compared to sports or greetech.

On winter tyres 14" the ride is even more comfy.

Gotta agree with this. Citigo on standard suspension and 14" wheels has an amazingly relaxed ride over UK roads.  The rear suspension isn't very sophisticated but it's a very comfy relaxed package on the whole.

• Like 2

I have an Elegance GreenTech with "lowered suspension" and 175/65R14 tyres. I would describe the suspension as pleasantly compliant, it is not at all harsh.

It does necessarily not follow that the 15mm lower springs are firmer than the normal springs. They may be wound with relatively thinner wire.

Try a MINI Cooper R50 on Sports Plus suspension and run-flat tyres and then tell me that the Citigo suspension is harsh. ;)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi I’ve just bought a 2019 sel and the suspension is very bouncy 

my daughter has a 2013 groove up and the suspension is perfect 

what can I do to improve the ride 

gknautomotive.com online spring catalogue

https://web.tecalliance.net/gkn/en/parts/cars/assigned?assemblyGroupId=100113&targetId=15989&typeNumber=15989&groups=188&brands=1&page=0#@brc/brands:Car;targetType:cars/assem:SKODA%20CITIGO%20(NF1)%201.0;targetType:cars;targetId:15989;typeNumber:15989/lnkparts:Coil%20Springs;targetType:cars;assemblyGroupId:100113;targetId:15989;typeNumber:15989;groups:188;brands:1;page:0

1S0 411 105 A

Spring Design Coil spring with constant wire diameter
Fitting Position Front Axle
Wire Diameter 11 mm
Length 310 mm
Outer diameter 135 mm
Weight 1.3 kg
Suspension for vehicles with standard suspension
Rim Size 14 Inch

6R0 411 105 J

6R0 411 105 T

Wire Diameter 11.25 mm
Length 307 mm
Outer diameter 139 mm
Weight 1.4 kg
Rim Size 15 Inch

1S0 411 105 F

Wire Diameter 11 mm
Length 290 mm
Outer diameter 138 mm
Weight 1.3 kg
Suspension for vehicles with sports suspension

1S0 511 115 AJ

Fitting Position Rear Axle
Colour Coding Green (2x), Orange (2x), Yellow
Wire Diameter 9.25 mm
Length 308 mm
Outer diameter 102 mm
Weight 0.95 kg
Rim Size 14 Inch

1S0 511 115 AK

1S0 511 115 AL

Colour Coding Green (3x), Orange (2x), Yellow
Wire Diameter 9.5 mm
Length 308 mm
Outer diameter 104 mm
Weight 1 kg
Rim Size 15 Inch

1S0 511 115 AN

Wire Diameter 9.25 mm
Length 293 mm
Outer diameter 101 mm
Weight 0.95 kg
Suspension for vehicles with sports suspension

As you can see from above, the standard suspension on Citigo cars that came out of the factory with 14" wheels had softer springs than Citigo cars that came out of the factory on standard suspension with 15" wheels.

Greenline Citigo cars came out of the factory with sports suspension.

Edited by Carlston

front axle, steering | Skoda Citigo 2016, suspension shock absorbers front

1 1S0411105 coil spring
1 paint mark
1 paint mark
white
green

Model data: PR-L01
(1) 1S0411105A coil spring
2 paint marks
1 paint mark
white
green

Model data: PR-L02
(1) 6R0411105T coil spring
2 paint marks
2 paint marks
green
blue

Model data: PR-L03
(1) 6R0411105J coil spring
2 paint marks
3 paint marks
white
blue

Model data: PR-L04
(1) 1S0411105D coil spring
3 paint marks
1 paint mark
white
green

Model data: PR-L05
(1) 1S0411105E coil spring
4 colour strokes
1 paint mark
white
green

Model data: PR-L06
(1) 1S0411105F coil spring
1 paint mark
2 paint marks
white
green

Model data: PR-L07
(1) 1S0411105G coil spring
2 paint marks
2 paint marks
white
green

Model data: PR-L08
(1) 1S0411105H coil spring
3 paint marks
2 paint marks
white
green

Model data: PR-L09

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/CIT/year/2016/drive_standart/727/hg_ug/411/subcategory/411000/part_id/2561497/lang/e

rear axle | Skoda Citigo 2016, suspension shock absorbers rear

1 1S0511115AH coil spring
1 paint mark
2 paint marks
1 paint mark
yellow
orange
green

Model data: PR-1JA+0YA
(1) 1S0511115AJ coil spring
1 paint mark
2 paint marks
2 paint marks
yellow
orange
green

Model data: PR-1JA+0YB
(1) 1S0511115AK coil spring
1 paint mark
2 paint marks
3 paint marks
yellow
orange
green

Model data: PR-1JA+0YC
(1) 1S0511115AL coil spring
1 paint mark
3 paint marks
1 paint mark
yellow
orange
green

Model data: PR-1JA+0YD
(1) 1S0511115AM coil spring
1 paint mark
2 paint marks
1 paint mark
yellow
orange
blue

Model data: PR-1JC+0YA
(1) 1S0511115AN coil spring
1 paint mark
2 paint marks
2 paint marks
yellow
orange
blue

Model data: PR-1JC+0YB
(1) 1S0511115AP coil spring
1 paint mark
2 paint marks
3 paint marks
yellow
orange
blue

Model data: PR-1JC+0YC
(1) 1S0511115AQ coil spring
1 paint mark
3 paint marks
1 paint mark
yellow
orange
blue

Model data: PR-1JC+0YD
(1) 1S0511115AF coil spring
1 paint mark
1 paint mark
3 paint marks
yellow
orange
red

Model data: PR-UB6+0YB
(1) 1S0511115AG coil spring
1 paint mark
2 paint marks
1 paint mark
yellow
orange
red

Model data: PR-UB6+0YC

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/CIT/year/2016/drive_standart/727/hg_ug/511/subcategory/511000/part_id/2561497/lang/e

Example for front springs

(1) 1S0411105A coil spring
2 paint marks
1 paint mark
white
green

Model data: PR-L02

Build code L02 means 1S0411105A front springs. 1S0511105A springs are marked with 2 white dots and 1 green dot.

Example for rear springs

(1) 1S0511115AJ coil spring
1 paint mark
2 paint marks
2 paint marks
yellow
orange
green

Model data: PR-1JA+0YB

Build codes 1JA+0YB means 1S0511115A rear springs. 1S0511115A springs are marked with 1 yellow dot, 2 orange dots, and 2 green dots.

Edited by Carlston

Good research!

My 2019 SE-L greentech (or whatever they called them that month!) Has the lowered suspension and came with 16" wheels. I'd call it firm, but I'm used to that feel on quick German cars that I've mostly had in the past. Although these are no more than 'nippy' in town, (read: a bit slow), which suits me these days, the handling is quite pleasing. I can't say it's 'bouncy' though. A bouncy car sounds like it has shot dampers to me (or changed by a previous owner).