60 Miles in.... First issue - Typre Pressure Error

I had a flat this evening when I came out of the office which I didn't cop for a couple of hundred yards.

The tyre pressure sensors did not pick it up at all!

I changed to the spare and headed for home.

Approximately 5km later it decides to let me know there's an issue with the offending wheel. Not impressed.

If you knew how the system works you would know it's normal.

Should it not have detected the full reduction in pressure when the wheel was flat initially? AFAIK it works off rotational speed of the wheel which would have been well off.

Edited by Sweetums

The car triggered the error a further 2 times.

Therefore, i thought it maybe that as the pressures are only been changed by 1 psi it was not enough for the system to recognise. (the BMW system used to only trigger if the psi changed by approx 9psi.)

At 75 Miles on the clock i did the following to ensure the system was fully "reset"

I reduced all 4 tyre pressures down to 30psi all round and reset the system.

Drove for 1/2 a mile and looped back to the fuel station and re did all tyres to 39psi all round and reset the system.

The car has not triggered since and i have now done a further 200 miles so therefore cancelled the appointment on Friday with Skoda.

Will update this thread if i get any further false alerts in the future.

Edited by RickTT

I had the tyre pressure issue like the one in the top gear magazine come up yesterday whilst travelling back to the UK from Germany. Stopped and checked the tyres, all were OK. Re-set the system and it hasn't appeared again. If I get more false reports I'll book it in with my dealer.

• 4 months later...

I've had this on all 3 Skoda's which had this system, and each and every time they (after a while) sorted themselves out....tho some took longer than others.

One of the things I like to try out (read 'check is working') is the ABS system. I find an empty road in an industrial estate and at 60+mph, stand on the stop pedal to see what happens. If I can, I try to find a Rd with gravelly bits which is straight or with a gentle curve as it really tests the system out. You know if the ABS works as it sounds horrible and the brake pedal vibrates.

One of my Octy 3 VRS estates had a real pressure sensor habit and was forever telling me I had a loss of pressure, with sometimes only minutes between warnings! One 90mph hard stop on an empty wide & wet back street rd (the ABS went nuts) and stopped the car straight and true proving it wirked fine.

I never had the problem after that, so might be worth a wee try before a trip to the dealers as amy sensor issues you might have should be highlighted by the ABS.

Also, you get to see how good (or bad) your brakes are. I can tell you that the S3's are good, but not a patch on the confidence inspiring Octy 3 VRS stoppers. Best brakes in an affordable car I have had the pleasure of torturing!

I would like to add, 30-50mph is fine for testing the ABS, I just like going faster and seeing their emergency powers of retardation as driving on the Autobahn regularly at 100-110mph, I need to know their powers. For a car it's size I am happy.

Edited by blahde2

• 4 months later...

Ok... Not had any of these alerts in a long time...

However today I got a warning (the error on rather saying which tyre)

Checked all pressures and they were around 5psi lower than last set, all round , which confirms they have all lost the same amount of pressure over time or the garage gauge was reading lower , but confirms no individual loss pressure .

So today I stopped.. Re did all pressures to 39 all round.. System rest ok.

40 miles later.. Further error...

Stopped and did presures.. All done all round.

System would not allow me to reset until I put more pressure in the tyres.

20 miles later... . error again..

This time turned the car off and just went through the reset again and it reset and stored the pressures ok

20161220_120534_zpsdqo5iiul.jpg

20161220_120516_zpsaca9snx4.jpg

20161220_120525_zpsybgwudbu.jpg

Edited by RickTT

Had this very same issue arise on my company Octavia today, just at the end of my journey (60miles) the "Error: Tyre Pressure Loss Indicator" warning came on, got out of car checked all wheels, all looked ok, checked pressures all around 32PSI, maybe  0.5 PSI difference on two tyres, so topped them all up to 36PSI, rest and cleared warning.

With outside temperatures fluctuating from 6Deg C to 2Deg C, just wondered how much this affects the sensitivity of the sensors ???? :)

Edited by roughrider10

Had this very same issue arise on my company Octavia today, just at the end of my journey (60miles) the "Error: Tyre Pressure Loss Indicator" warning came on, got out of car checked all wheels, all looked ok, checked pressures all around 32PSI, maybe  0.5 PSI difference on two tyres, so topped them all up to 36PSI, rest and cleared warning.

With outside temperatures fluctuating from 6Deg C to 2Deg C, just wondered how much this affects the sensitivity of the sensors ???? :)

Temp wise.. my route today ranged from 10'c to 1.5'c over the moors..

However the difference in temp between resets would of not been that great..

I had this when getting the car and it took around 4 or 5 cycles before it didnt trigger again..

Made the 60 mile return journey with no further warning, and have to say this is the first time i have had it occur on the Octavia, had it 18 months now with just under 30k on the clock.

Had the same system on my Leon a few years ago and it only came on when i actually had a puncture, never experienced any nuisance / false alarms, correct me if i'm wrong but the systems we have do not monitor actual tyre pressure, does it, I believe it looks at wheel rotation / speed ???, is this correct.

Can anyone recall changing lanes or overtaking just as this triggered?  I had the same issue on an Octavia vRS, Passat CC and still do get it on my Leon.  I figured out it was occurring when I'd change lanes and catch a road stud or catseye.  Maybe the ABS sensors are very sensitive on the VAG cars? 

When I first got my car I had this problem and had to reset the system several times (I do not think you have to change the pressure to reset, why would you?)

It finally settled down.

When I changed to winter tyres in November the warning came on after a few miles, was expecting this, reset the system and it was ok after that.

I did a front tyre on a kerb a couple of weeks ago and had to use one of the summer tyres for a week, the system reported an error, I reset it and it was fine.

Then had to do the same again when I refitted the winter wheel and has been ok since

The system uses rotation as a measure for checking the pressure, could it be that when tyres are new the radius changes quite a lot over the first 1000 miles or so and this makes the system report errors, once the tyres are run in they change size much more slowly as they wear..

Not sure if this is the cause but it could be.

• Like 1

Philsmith's answer looks right to me for new tires: they expand slightly during initial break-in, resulting in small changes of circumference and rotation speed - the warning goes off...

Had the same problem after putting on my winter wheels. Had to reset three times since November.

I've re-checked all pressures and done a confirm.

If the problem occurs again do we all agree it is a system fault that needs a visit to the dealer?

I have never had one faulty alarm om the TPMS system - bit I thought I had one two weeks ago. It said "Check tire pressure right front" or something like. 10 minutes later I was in the emergency lane with a flat tire. So it really does work!

Error flagged up again today...   got a little work around though for the moment...

Go into the menu to reset the pressures, (if you hit set it wont allow you to do so until you turn the car off...

Therefore at the next set of traffic lights, turned the car off for 2 seconds and restarted.. i was then able to re-SET the pressures on the infotainment.

Another 15 miles driven and no alert yet...

Will get it booked in if it continues..

Yea, I got to the point when I said to myself, if it happens again it's going in to be looked at, ...............it never happened again!

Probably had to reset it five or six times in the first 1000 miles though.

Edited by philsmith
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I damaged the n/s/f tyre just before Christmas and had to put a new tyre on.

The tyre pressure indicator then showed a fault with the n/s/f twice in the next 500 miles and had to be reset.

DId a further 200 miles at the weekend and it has not happened again, I think my theory about new tyres may be correct

• Like 1

I damaged the n/s/f tyre just before Christmas and had to put a new tyre on.

The tyre pressure indicator then showed a fault with the n/s/f twice in the next 500 miles and had to be reset.

DId a further 200 miles at the weekend and it has not happened again, I think my theory about new tyres may be correct

I support your theory - not NEW tyres but simply changing tyres. It occurred once in November 2015 shortly after I put brand new winter tyres on, same wheel size. In November 2016 shortly after putting the same slightly worn winter tyres on I had a run of about 10 errors within one week. Like RickTT I kept resetting and it eventually settled. Unlike Superb170 I never had this in 4 years with my Superb II and I was switching between 18" and 16".

I've shrugged it off as an irritation and not a major issue.

• Like 1

Made the 60 mile return journey with no further warning, and have to say this is the first time i have had it occur on the Octavia, had it 18 months now with just under 30k on the clock.

Had the same system on my Leon a few years ago and it only came on when i actually had a puncture, never experienced any nuisance / false alarms, correct me if i'm wrong but the systems we have do not monitor actual tyre pressure, does it, I believe it looks at wheel rotation / speed ???, is this correct.

Hi RoughRider, yes, that is correct - the car compares the rotational speed of the wheels via the ABS sensors. I understand that there is a slight delay built-in to the system so that cornering or momentary losses of traction do not give false alarms.

For info...

I've had this problem with my Audi since taking delivery of it last September.

Had about 8 spurious warnings.

Its been back to the dealer once but the `fix` wasn't successful.

Talking to the techy that worked on it last time, he believes its the ABS sensors that are at fault.

Its going back in on Monday to have the sensors looked at.