60 Miles in.... First issue - Typre Pressure Error

For info...

I've had this problem with my Audi since taking delivery of it last September.

Had about 8 spurious warnings.

Its been back to the dealer once but the `fix` wasn't successful.

Talking to the techy that worked on it last time, he believes its the ABS sensors that are at fault.

Its going back in on Monday to have the sensors looked at.

This sounds like a good suggestion for others who are seeing this error on a regular basis.

Just spoke to Citigate who say there is a report on this fault (that includes other faults) that requires resetting of some electronic stabilisation system or something. So they'll have a go at that on Monday while the car's in for the chrome strip sticking!

Must be ESC. Sounds plausible...

Edited by thewinelake

They've done a software upgrade on the ESC and (touch wood!) so far, so  good... I think it's also improved the traction control system - seems to be much smoother than it was before.

Also the trims have been refitted and glued + some window guide recall thing.

Must say, when picking my car up from the service centre (that also does VW), I thought mine was by far the prettiest car in the lot. So my enthusiasm for this car has been slightly rekindled, and I'm pretty impressed with Citygate Colindale based on showing to date.

8 hours ago, thewinelake said:

Bum... It's gone again!

Do I have to get this seen to under conditions of the lease, or can I just ignore it?

I just ignored mine and reset it till it stopped.

As above.. do the reset without changing the tyre pressures.

• 2 months later...

Finally booked car in for this error plus a few other errors

Dealer called today and advised the system have been reset and full software update.

Time will tell once car returned.

Thanks Legacy, that's interesting reading - although the article does fairly state that drivers need to be more "involved" in the various safety aspects of their vehicle. I was not aware that TPMS was actually a legal requirement.

Of course, as we know, present company excepted, there is a worrying percentage of people out there who will just keep driving until the tyre's practically down to the rim (or worse) - SWMBO included. 

• 10 months later...

Car went  into the dealer on the 29th Jan also for the repeat error of tyre pressure issues..

Since then its errored now 8 or 9 times in as many days... basically every time i drive for 15 mins or more it errors..   really starting to brass me off now..

Car getting booked in again.

On 4/7/2017 at 20:06, Legacy said:

Here's a report that suggests that TPMs that rely on rotation data are fundamentally untrustworthy:

https://www.tyresdublin.ie/articles/penny-pinching-tyre-tech-putting-lives-risk

I had rotation based TPMS on 3 cars between 2005 and 2017. During that time I had 2 TPMS warnings, both times had low pressure in one tyre each time caused by a nail. Both tyres repaired before any damage caused, for the record one was a run flat.

IMHO that can hardly be called untrustworthy.

Given the choice I would go for rotation over valves every time. No expensive valves to fail and fitting winter tyres on cheap wheels is not a problem.

All TPMS systems are useful, and am I right in thinking they’re a legal requirement in the EU now?

But they DO have problems - if you look across the Superb and Octavia forums on here there are threads galore about errors related to VW’s rotational system and I’ve posted in several of them the familiar cycle - problem, check, problem, check, problem, error correction...problem again.

I’ve spent good money on a pricey digital gauge because it drove me so mad. I shows that however many warnings TPMS throws up there is never a problem with the tyres.

Edited by MorrisOx

3000 miles on car when I collected (ex-dealer management car). Had an issue with system showing one tyre deflating slightly (0.2 bar) triggering a single wheel deflation.  Corrected this , but got an all wheel system error a few days later. Reset, however, have OBDeleven and checked for faults. This one came up and after reset using OBDeleven didn't happen again. Don't know if the two are connected. Check my tyre pressures and reset every week.  

• 1 month later...

Still continue to have these issues..

Been into the dealer today for another visit.

Reason for the issue they tell me is due to too high pressure. 38psi all round.   They have told me it has to be 32psi even though i regular have the car fully loaded.  (and the car has a range from 32 psi to 43psi rear and think upto 37psi front.  Told to adjust the pressures depending who or whats in the car as the system is sensitive. 

All documented on the vehicle inspection report video from them.

Also, as the car has conti rears and pirelli tyres on the front , this is also the reason. Told in order for them to investigate further i need 4 new tyres of the same brand.

Tell the person to put that in writing with their name, qualifications and sign it.

You can send to Skoda UK so that they can get re-training in BS.

You know they lie when their lips move.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Tell the person to put that in writing with their name, qualifications and sign it.

You can send to Skoda UK so that they can get re-training in BS.

You know they lie when their lips move.

Its on a video !

• Like 1

20 miles driven - Error has reoccurred with the pressures set as per the dealer recommendation.

All tyres are at 5mm ish tread depth.

Next step is for 4x new tyres as per their recommendation of the same brand.

As others have said I call dealer B.S. if the tyres you have are correct for the car then that's not the issue, NO WHERE  in the manual does it state all tyres have to be the same make.Have you been in touch with skoda uk ? Don't know if they have a technical services dept you can contact directly (I've done that several times with motorcycles to bypass the usual dealer BS ) good luck as this has dragged on for a long time :)

• 1 month later...

Mibe has now been error'ing for last 3 k miles every 20 or 30 miles following a reset.

Its been in the dealer a few times but still not fixed.. Its going back in again tommorow 

As mentioned earlier, I’ve only had the light come once during two years owning my old Superb (2016) - and I did have a puncture. Have the same system in out second car, a 2016 Golf. No false alarms so far. 

Either your car has a fault, or you must be doing something in the wrong order :(

18 minutes ago, GaSelle said:

As mentioned earlier, I’ve only had the light come once during two years owning my old Superb (2016) - and I did have a puncture. Have the same system in out second car, a 2016 Golf. No false alarms so far. 

Either your car has a fault, or you must be doing something in the wrong order :(

Car has a fault.. Just to make it clear as the photos on the thread have gome due to photobucket.. The error is with tps system rather than alerting on an individual tyre.

In regards to the reset process, you cant do much wrong apart from do the pressures and then press set in the infortaiment system which then stores the pressures via the rolling radius method and then driving...

The car is still in the dealer at present.... Awaitng an update..

• Like 1