What bulbs are fitted to the S3 & upgraded bulb recommendations

So far only reverse changed with 2x 30W 1156 S25 P21W CREE 6000K White/Yellow/Red LED Reverse Light

Very good quality at reasonable price!

Real consumption for 30w was 6w, but the brightness is really noticeable. Not thinking to change and lef/right turning light and maybe front fog lights.
Standart
036830516.jpg

Difference left changed to LED - right standart
036830519.jpg

Both changed

036830520.jpg

Edited by Samo78

Feel free to add your own upgraded bulbs for the S3 (ideally with links and photo’s showing before and after)

Front Fog lights 

H8 35W (OE are Osram)

Osram-64212-H8.jpg

I upgraded mine to 4,500K ( K = Kelvin colour temperature, OE Xenon’s headlights are between 4,300K - 4,500K)

4,500K halogen on left OE std halogen on right:

IMG_1318_zpspuduiwin.jpg

A much better colour and very close to the DRL’s, however they were pretty crap with regards to the light they emitted and were barely noticeable when they were turned on.

So I changed them for some LED’s http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/7338546343.html?orderId=72923300641797 now it is worth noting these do not dim on or off like halogens do, they are a straight on/off, despite this they are IMO brilliant!:

IMG_1476_zpsfx8i3dij.jpg

I have previously tried some CREE LED’s in our Yeti (again H8 fitment) but despite these being advertised as ‘pure white’ were too blue for my liking so they never made it into the S3 (if you like them then I still have them!)

CREE on the left and a 4,500K halogen on the right:

37429e8e-72de-499b-82de-d4f5fefff14a_zps

THE OE FOG LIGHT BULBS ARE THE IDEAL COLOUR FOR USE IN THE FOG, IF YOU DECIDE TO GO WHITER LIKE I HAVE THEN YOU WILL LOSE THE PERFORMANCE IN THE FOG - as they are now used as CH/LH and cornering lights this is something I was prepared to sacrifice.Your link is now sho

Your link is now directed to this bulb. Is that still ok before I order?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Generation-2S-LED-Car-Headlight-CREE-ETI-Flip-Chips-12V-Car-Headlight-30W-3600LM-Aluminum-H8/32280572818.html

Thanks, Phil.

Hello, I was wondering if someone has any ideas for improving the standard halogen lights. Our budget was not enough to get the LED's.

The problem is that the small corner bulbs for daytime lighting (not the H4's) are yellow and ugly.

Has anyone tried replacing them? (the manual does not even show the way of replacing, nor the bulb type) - this is only available for the H4's and turning lights.

would be of a great help!

Hello, I was wondering if someone has any ideas for improving the standard halogen lights. Our budget was not enough to get the LED's.

The problem is that the small corner bulbs for daytime lighting (not the H4's) are yellow and ugly.

Has anyone tried replacing them? (the manual does not even show the way of replacing, nor the bulb type) - this is only available for the H4's and turning lights.

would be of a great help!

There's a thread on the forum about these and how to do it.. Its hard work though..

I can't share link as on phone.

Can anybody tell me how bright interior lighting is in the superb (se-l exec). Are the bulbs Led? If not is it possible to upgrade them? If so what bulbs are required.

I pick my superb up next week, I use my car a lot at night for work and the lighting in my current mondeo is led and is spot on.

• Like 2

The bulbs are not led, so likewise not like my previous focus. I have an SE hatch, also in Sheffield. Would like to change my bulbs, not sure yet what bulbs they are. Also there's no ambiant lighting, last few cars had red led spots aimed at the dash & console.

How easy is it to swap out the boot lights for the ones from superskoda, do you need any special tools?

Also how do remove the red/white lights in the base of the doors? I think I am also going to fit the new

ones from superskoda here.

Boot lights are really easy, a ‘trim tool’ or flat bladed screw driver is all that is needed to remove the OE lights, the SS ones however are marginally longer so I found it easier to trim about 0.5mm off the hole in the carpet so they fit in easily. 

Does anyone have a guide on how to replace front interior lights with led? I am not brave enough to try it as the car is not mine and don't want to brake anything.

post-61647-0-65707600-1462369899_thumb.png

These fog replacement bulbs arrived from AliExpress.

Edited by philpix

My AliExpress fogs arrived today. Managed to fit the offside one but I simply can't get the grill off for the nearside to get access to unscrew the fog lamp. I was pulling it pretty hard, it was actually moving the car. I'm booked in to dealers for a recall next week so they can struggle with it!

Gizmo68, the fitting instructions that came with the bulbs I didn't really get it. It looked like it was saying to take off the plastic connector from the bulb, then remove the little white rubber washer from the bulb, then fit some odd thing over the bulb (probably from car fog assembly) then put back plastic connector (and washer? this wasn't clear!) but basically it seemed to just fit into the housing with a push and twist - nothing needing to be removed from the bulb assembly. How did you get on with yours?

Yep mine arrives today too l4wrence.

I haven't got a car to put them in but any fitting advice would be much appreciated.

Feel free to add your own upgraded bulbs for the S3 (ideally with links and photo’s showing before and after)

Front Fog lights 

H8 35W (OE are Osram)

Osram-64212-H8.jpg

I upgraded mine to 4,500K ( K = Kelvin colour temperature, OE Xenon’s headlights are between 4,300K - 4,500K)

4,500K halogen on left OE std halogen on right:

IMG_1318_zpspuduiwin.jpg

A much better colour and very close to the DRL’s, however they were pretty crap with regards to the light they emitted and were barely noticeable when they were turned on.

So I changed them for some LED’s http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/7338546343.html?orderId=72923300641797 now it is worth noting these do not dim on or off like halogens do, they are a straight on/off, despite this they are IMO brilliant!:

IMG_1476_zpsfx8i3dij.jpg

I have previously tried some CREE LED’s in our Yeti (again H8 fitment) but despite these being advertised as ‘pure white’ were too blue for my liking so they never made it into the S3 (if you like them then I still have them!)

CREE on the left and a 4,500K halogen on the right:

37429e8e-72de-499b-82de-d4f5fefff14a_zps

THE OE FOG LIGHT BULBS ARE THE IDEAL COLOUR FOR USE IN THE FOG, IF YOU DECIDE TO GO WHITER LIKE I HAVE THEN YOU WILL LOSE THE PERFORMANCE IN THE FOG - as they are now used as CH/LH and cornering lights this is something I was prepared to sacrifice.

If you've still got those LED fogs ill have them off you for my Yeti :)

Gizmo68, the fitting instructions that came with the bulbs I didn't really get it. It looked like it was saying to take off the plastic connector from the bulb, then remove the little white rubber washer from the bulb, then fit some odd thing over the bulb (probably from car fog assembly) then put back plastic connector (and washer? this wasn't clear!) but basically it seemed to just fit into the housing with a push and twist - nothing needing to be removed from the bulb assembly. How did you get on with yours?

I think the instructions are for a different fitting to the H8’s, like you I fitted them without removing anything.

For fitting they really are straight forward, just be aware that the N/S cable will touch the washer bottle, my grills ‘just’ pulled off.

If you've still got those LED fogs ill have them off you for my Yeti :)

No problem I will pop them in the post as soon as I can.

• Like 1

I haven't, but have found that the led replacement w5w's I bought were a bit too long, and when pushing into the holder, pushed the contacts out of place and were a pain to get working. This is the ambient floor lighting, so ended up leaving standard bulbs in for now.

Does the new Passat have standard led versions for both footwell & roof lights?

Agplant100 the business line of superb ( at least here) is equipped with led for footwell and roof. Not quite sure for the UK spec but at least L&K must have them as standard. I think it's wiser if you can ask local dealer for spare led bulbs.

If it's needed I can make a picture of one fitted in my mk3.

• Like 1

Will have to look for led interior ones then. Just a shame the mix of led & standard bulbs. Like when you open the car door, led on mirror and yellow light in bottom of door.

The AliExpress LED fogs don't fit in a 280 because the nearside has an intercooler that is in the way. PM me if anyone wants to buy them off me.

Need to find shorter fog LEDs for 280 with similar colour and light output to the AliExpress ones Gizmo posted that are reasonably priced. Anyone got any suggestions? Preferably by someone who has upgraded 280 fogs and can confirm they fit.

Anyone have any thoughts on the lights in the link below as a suitable fog light replacement in a 280? I still need to ckeck there is 2" gap available so it wont hit the intercooler but it looks similar in spec to the AliExpress 2S ETI Flip Chip bulbs (which are too deep at 65mm for 280PS passenger side fitment). It says it's canbus ready but OE fogs are 35W, these are 40W. Should that cause any problems?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H11-H8-H9-Car-Conversion-Cree-Led-Headlight-Kit-3600LM-White-6000K-/152083483603?hash=item2368e1cbd3