What bulbs are fitted to the S3 & upgraded bulb recommendations

Door Warning lights

As std they come with W5W filament bulbs (even with the specced LED package)

Fitted replacement LED’s in the door, I considered the Superskoda replacement light units, but @ €80 for a set of 4, I couldn’t justify spending that on them, so I found these on AliExpress @ just £4.14 (posted) for a set of 4 it was worth a punt, once fitted I was more than happy with the results:

IMG_2410_zpsy5rmryq4.jpg

IMG_2420_zpszfz9ivcw.jpg

IMG_2421_zps6hrn6gea.jpg

These use 4 red LED’s to shine through the red part of the lens and 3 white LED’s to shine through the bottom clear part of the lens.

4X-White-Red-Led-Door-Step-Courtesy-Ligh

• Like 1

I received these from aliexpress, they were really crap so I thought it had something to do with the cap limiting the flood of light:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-360-degrees-100W-2000LM-1156-S25-P21W-BA15S-LED-Backup-Light-Car-Reverse-Bulb-Lamp/32775136384.html

OK, I switched back to stock bulb on the left hand side (seen from behind).

Maybe not so visible in these photos...:

post-144978-0-82906600-1485018203_thumb.jpgpost-144978-0-97531900-1485018204_thumb.jpg

...but take a look at this video, and especially at the end where I reversed up against my garage door.

As you can see, the stock bulb gives a light that is definitely stronger than the red glow from the rear running lights, however on the right side (driver side for you in UK, passenger side for us on the mainland...) the LED light is not much brighter than the red light and in sum it just becomes a red/white/pink light.

I will order the LEDs recommended by @Gizmo68 and try to do a three-way comparison!

I followed Gizmo68's recommendation and the following pictures show the difference with the reversing lights. I installed the 80W 1156 S25 P21W BA15S CREE bulbs. I also swapped the indicator lights for philips PY21W LED but to be honest I notice fcek all difference with it.

post-143383-0-77570000-1485044617_thumb.jpg

post-143383-0-11706500-1485044696_thumb.jpg

Edited by BennyS3

Door Warning lights

As std they come with W5W filament bulbs (even with the specced LED package)

Fitted replacement LED’s in the door, I considered the Superskoda replacement light units, but @ €80 for a set of 4, I couldn’t justify spending that on them, so I found these on AliExpress @ just £4.14 (posted) for a set of 4 it was worth a punt, once fitted I was more than happy with the results:

They are no longer available from this seller.

If anyone finds these lights from other sellers on ali pls let me know, I've searched a bit without luck.

Rear Turn Signals

stock(Philips 12496NA/LLPY21W12V [E2] 2F7 FRANCE 5M02) Incandescent

replaced by

Ali's noname (Kaizen-GT 1156PY 48* 3014 SMD 12v 6.2W)

-> https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-Kaizen%25252dGT-1156PY-48*-3014-SMD-12v.html

BAU15S-7507-PY21W-1156PY-48pcs3014_SMD_LED-Amber-Yellow-Error-Free.jpg

170125_6w12v_48x3014SMD_LED_BAU15s_1.png

170125_6w12v_48x3014SMD_LED_BAU15s_2.png

170125_6w12v_48x3014SMD_LED_BAU15s_3.png

Edited by MartiniB

• 2 weeks later...

FYI powerbulbs have 20% off everything at the moment! I've just ordered a pair of LED rear indicator bulbs for my new S3, got them for £43.99

:)

Edit: use the code NEWBULB at checkout for discount

Edited by drewellis
  • Like 2

There are so many w5w bulbs on ebay I have no idea what to pick to install in my sportline glove box. Can anyone recommend, also can I use these anywhere else (already ordered boot lights from Super skoda). Not sure on standard bulb type in reg plate lights etc.

Thanks in advance.

eBay is a bit of a minefield with LED's, but the bits to look out for are:

LED type 5050 (one of the brightest)

W5W / T10 / 501 - the fitment

Colour - pure white (around 4,300 to 5,000k)

something like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-LED-4-SMD-T10-W5W-501-168-5050-Car-Side-Tail-Backup-Light-Pure-White-12V-/301915153554?hash=item464b8ba492:g:BkkAAOSwnHZYgCYr

On the other Škoda models the rear numberplate lights are now either W5W fitment or LED. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gizmo68 said:

eBay is a bit of a minefield with LED's, but the bits to look out for are:

LED type 5050 (one of the brightest)

W5W / T10 / 501 - the fitment

Colour - pure white (around 4,300 to 5,000k)

something like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-LED-4-SMD-T10-W5W-501-168-5050-Car-Side-Tail-Backup-Light-Pure-White-12V-/301915153554?hash=item464b8ba492:g:BkkAAOSwnHZYgCYr

On the other Škoda models the rear numberplate lights are now either W5W fitment or LED. 

Thanks, at that price I've bought 3 to give them a go. Thanks for the heads up!

On 19/01/2017 at 14:32, penguin17 said:

So far so good.

LED Cree front fog and rear indicators have arrived from autobulbsdirect.co.uk and 4 W5W Canbus friendly LED's from an Amazon seller have arrived today.  Can't wait to get them fitted...

....I just need a car now.  :(

A lot of the Ali links aren't valid any more and I'm struggling to find any LED bulbs that I'm confident in - particularly for the foglights. I'm keen for them to match the white of the Xenons. Can you recommend the ones you got from Autobulbs and provide links please?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

A lot of the Ali links aren't valid any more and I'm struggling to find any LED bulbs that I'm confident in - particularly for the foglights. I'm keen for them to match the white of the Xenons. Can you recommend the ones you got from Autobulbs and provide links please?

Thanks!

Search:

Generation 2S LED Car Headlight CREE ETI Flip Chips 12V Car Headlight 30W 3600LM” or variations of that on Aliexpress 

I am also interested in this .I am looking for door leds gizmo bought and fog lights .I have tried searching for what you suggested but done of them seem to be h8 for the fogs .And having no joy with with finding leds for door . I thank people who post the help on here to help idiots like myself .

9 hours ago, Gizmo68 said:

Search:

Generation 2S LED Car Headlight CREE ETI Flip Chips 12V Car Headlight 30W 3600LM” or variations of that on Aliexpress 

Thanks - this looks like it may be the only H8 one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Generation-2S-H1-Led-Headlight-Bulbs-30W-led-ETI-Chips-Headlights-3600LM-All-In-One-Car/32371253777.html

Does that look right?

Could someone that has done this with led's etc do a list of bulb model numbers etc.

although I get mine in march I am already starting to buy bulbs, I am about to order the boot led's which I think look so much better. And I think the glove compartment take same bulb so might buy 2 sets.

but a while list of all possible upgrades would be good :-)

7 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

Looks spot on, FWIW the H1 / H7 / H8 fitment rings all slot over the LED’s, so it may be worth asking other sellers if they include the H8 fitting rings.

2 hours ago, flogdnaloop said:

Could someone that has done this with led's etc do a list of bulb model numbers etc.

although I get mine in march I am already starting to buy bulbs, I am about to order the boot led's which I think look so much better. And I think the glove compartment take same bulb so might buy 2 sets.

but a while list of all possible upgrades would be good :-)

If you look at page 1 then all the bulbs are listed with what fitment they are.

• Like 2

Got the following fitted now: The PY21 phillips rear indicators, osram rear reversing lights, and superskoda boots LEDs. They really are a drastic improvement in my eyes. Thanks for the recommendations Gizmo... Just waiting for the LEDs for the glove box now.

On 13/02/2017 at 20:07, lksuperb said:

Any links for the door leds you bought Gizmo .

Not as cheap but these look to be the same:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Red-Car-Led-Door-Light-for-VW-B6-Passat-B7-Golf-6-7-GTI-Jetta-MK5-6-/151890956795?hash=item235d6811fb:g:~q4AAOSwf-VWT~yD

Just now, Mon55 said:

Yes they look identical to mine (out of stock again now though)

1 minute ago, Gizmo68 said:

Are you fitting LED’s into the OE light?

If so then yes they use the same bulbs

Thanks Gizmo68, yeh want to do LED's all round. still would love a list of all the upgrades possible with LED's i intend to do the lot lol.

boot, glove box, reverse, indicator (not sure if this one is worth it), fog light.

what others can i do??

i have the led plus package ordered with it, so guess interior light and under seat lights are LED's??