Skoda Fabia vRS/Monte - Drift/Pull To The Left Issue

Evening

I've recently purchased a Skoda Fabia vRS 2013 (Estate) It suffers from the annoying Pull To The Left  :peek:

Had Wheel Alignment done yesterday 

Before

DSC00597_zpsypqsorgv.jpg

After 

DSC00596_zpserp3c2dd.jpg

Close Up - Front

DSC00599_zpsb5ffskrz.jpg

Close Up - Rear

DSC00598_zpslqab69f2.jpg

Outcome 

The car still pulls to the Left  :x

Current Setup

Standard Suspension

Dunlop 17" Tyres 205/40/17 

Car Less Than 5000 Miles 

Anyone got any suggestions ?  :sweat:

I have it booked into Skoda for a Health Check in April  :notme:

Edited by A9X SJ

Did you try moving the Front Wheels / tyres to the rear?

The Dunlop Sport Maxx are directional and can not be changed to the other side of the car.

(Some tyres at the factory are fitted on wrongly for the 'Run out Stripes' this mis-match causes an issue.)

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=165

When Skoda agree to replacing the Dunlop Sport Maxx for Pirelli Zero Nero in the same size as the Dunlops that only disguises the Pulling to the left because the Pirelli have a different amount of tread on the road, even though both makes of tyre are 205/ 40 ZR17s.

I have both Dunlops and Pirelli's that i use, but then no pulling to the left, (i put on Zero Nero in a 215/40 R17)

the Pirelli are a tougher sidewall, and a long lasting tyre, but pretty rubbish ready for traction.

(You will get lots of TC light flashes if you are heavy on the throttle in the wet, but then the Sport Maxx is not that great either.)

Lots of pulling to the Left Threads just in this section, i bumped one for you the other day.

PS,

Your vRS Estate is a 2013, and only 5,000 miles, but do you know if it is running the Standard Factory Springs, 

or Dealer Option Lowering Springs (Eibach) or some others?

post-86161-0-97650900-1459325208_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-57565700-1459325341_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-12324700-1459325648_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

I have to say I had 205/40 R17's on mine when I picked it up but the sidewalls looked very small and it pulled to the left, last week I got some 2nd hand alloys that came with winter tyres that are the same size 205/40 R17's but the side wall looks thicker and I have to say the car doesn't pull to the left anywhere near as bad and the ride is also much better, less harsh/crashy

• Like 1

Yeh GoneOffSki Thanks just researching as much as I can as it's still under Manufacture Warranty

I would assume the car has standard springs on it (Didn't realise this was a option I'll have a look to night see if I can see anything)

it was ordered Spec'ed by Skoda & not the previous owner as I asked him to confirm mileage before I bought the car

Yeh swapped the tyres over Front to Back

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has always done it and I guess I've gotten used to it.

I've had 3 sets of tyres on the front;

Continental sport contact 2

Pirelli P Zero Nero

Michelin Pilot Sport 3

Had tracking done by Skoda twice and another two times by a competent tyre fitter.

In that time I've also had Bilstein B8 shocks and H&R springs fitted.

The pull to the left hasn't changed in this time.

Edited by SuperTurbo
  • Like 3

Mine has always done it and I guess I've gotten used to it.

I've had 3 sets of tyres on the front;

Continental sport contact 2

Pirelli P Zero Nero

Michelin Pilot Sport 3

Had tracking done by Skoda twice and another two times by a competent tyre fitter.

In that time I've also had Bilstein B8 shocks and H&R springs fitted.

The pull to the left hasn't changed in this time.

Its more annoying than anything  :notme:  expensive car really shouldn't do that

I completely agree you should expect any car to at least go straight, although an expensive car it is not, I guess we all made a decision and you get what you pays for.

None the less still a great car.

• Like 1

Usually someone that buys a vRS has had a car before this and driven a bit, or buyers of the other Volkswagen Group models with the issue of Right hand drive cars pulling to the left.

So they know when it is this and not just a camber of the road thing.

You can try it on a dead flat car park or the likes.

There is a thread recently where someone mentioned Left Hand Drive Skoda on Mainland Europe Pulling to the left.

That knocked the wind out of my sails.

There are alignment issues which can be corrected for those that had Pulling to the left from new.

There are also cars that need full alignment checks doing when they have been on the road for a few years and you do not know the history.

If a professional with all the gear is checking, be sure they have the correct 'scores on the doors' for camber, caster, toe  etc.

Ones applying to the Fabia MK2 Facelift 2010 on.

The back tyres on a vRS / Monte Carlo might well go out of shape after a while and are hopeless when moved to the front.

Then some cars might have the Dealer Fit Spring Options on or some other lowering springs.

What makes you think it's pulling do you constantly have to correct the steering or are you letting go of the steering and then noticing it drifts to the left?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've recently had a MK6 Gold & Scirocco no issue

It's when you let go of the steering wheel it drifts to the left 

I used to work for Skoda. We had a few in with this issue. Always a Vrs. Always noticed when the steering wheel was used with no hands. Usually worse with Dunlop sp sport maxx tyre's. 205 40 17 iirc . The 4 wheel alignement was setup not by me as most Skoda dealer's do not have the equipment but by our Volkswagen branch using the Hunter set up or beise bath. Anyway every one we done was no better after 4 new tyre's (usually Pirelli)& the alignment. We also told by Vag technical under no terms were we allowed to road test the vehicle using "no hand's". Obviously I did and agree with what you are saying. Anyway I wouldn't invest much of your own cash in making it steer straight with no hand's on the wheel driving. They pretty all seem to suffer with this in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If you look at the many 'Monte Carlo pulling to the left thread'  you will see those and vRS that had issues.

Many Dealership employees put the blame on Dunlop Sport Maxx 205/40 r 17.  or the Continental tyres,

once stumped and unable to resolve the issue Skoda UK approved fitting Pirelli Zero Nero tyres in 205/40 R 17.

Not actually addressing the alignment fault, it is just less noticeable.

It was and is the Volkswagen Group way.

Obviously they kept fitting Dunlop & Continental tyres at the factory, and the cars leaving the factory properly aligned had no Pulling to the left issues, or the ones with Tyres fitted correctly for the Run Out as a pair.

2,900 Mk2 vRS in the UK, maybe 1/3rd or more had Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres from the factory, 

they did not all Pull to the Left,  if they did why did Skoda UK not have Skoda CZ stop fitting Dunlops.

Then cars with Continentals on did it as well.

Over 6,000 Monte Carlos in the UK, many will have Dunlop Sport Maxx fitted and yet do not Pull to the Left.

Training required someplace for employees that say, 'they all do that'.  Because if they do, PUT IN A REPORT TO SKODA UK.  It is unsafe, 

IF EMPLOYEES ARE NOT TO ROAD TEST CARS, WHY ARE CUSTOMERS ALLOWED OUT ON THE ROAD WITH THEM?

** On a road test you do not need to drive no hands, just hold the steering wheel lightly and be in control of the vehicle.**

You will know easily enough if there is an issue, an issue that is not acceptable.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Have a laugh at me, no problem there.

But maybe help then, how many Skoda Mk2 vRS did you see in with pulling to the left while you were at a Skoda Dealership?

& another thing,

How many vRS did you see in for oil consumption tests in your time, and how many engines replaced?

• Like 1

No but Fully Trained Mechanics that say 'they all do that' or 'they pretty much are all suffer with this'

are the issue in the Motor Trade, then the Service Desk says it, and the sales person.

So do you think 'just one of those things'.     Put up with it.

?

Where are you working now, in an Independent where things get diagnosed properly and repaired?

Yet another pull to the left thread

Few days back my 9yr old was playing test drive unlimited 2 on Xbox

OT but bear with me

Shouts to me "hey dad this Audi R8 pulls to the left"

"Like my Monte?" I replied

A pause,then he countered with "well it is vw group"

See,they really do all do that sir!

• Like 2

It's more annoying when you think the Car prob retailed around 18k new on the forecourt & the thing pulls to the left from day one  :thumbdown:

Although your not meant to let go of the steering wheel  :devil:  

I'm no expert but you have less caster on the front left than the front right, which should give you a tendency to wander left. It even says that on the wheel alignment.

My car pulls a bit left as well, but I haven't had an alignment done since new....and 40000kms.  

Edited by alloyvee

Just had 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 3's fitted to mine and the tracking sorted afterwards.  The steer ahead was well off, as was the camber on the front left.  Now that it's been corrected it just sits in a perfect straight line, whereas before it would drift to the left if I took my hands (slightly) off the wheel. 

• Like 1

I'm no expert but you have less caster on the front left than the front right, which should give you a tendency to wander left. It even says that on the wheel alignment.

My car pulls a bit left as well, but I haven't had an alignment done since new....and 40000kms.  

But I'm unable to adjust the Caster

Unless anyone knows other wise ?

I was talking to the bloke from super pro last year at car show.

We got on about the cars pulling to the left etc etc

The answer was that all car manufacturers make the cars for left hand drive so everything is set up for left hand drive. Then we bring them to the uk and are right hand drive but there still set up for left hand drive with the suspension, bushes etc etc

Now superpro do a poly bush wishbone kit 5j 10+ with one side caster offset to compensate and the wheels in a straight line.

Ant

• Like 2