Day 2 of VRS ownership, experts wanted!

Hi everyone,

I was planning to post and say hello at some point but didn't think it would be this soon!

I picked up a lovely red mk1 octavia vrs estate yesterday, had a lovely day of driving it.

I went to start it this morning and NOTHING. I get the dash lights coming on etc but when I turn to start it doesn't make a sound.

I put a meter across the battery and its reading 12.44 volts.

Had a quick look at the battery conncetions/fuses on top of the battery and all appeared to be fine.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Adam

• Like 1

Do the dash lights dim when trying to start it? You could give the starter a hit with a hammer or block of wood as it could be a stuck starter motor. Also do you have a voltage reading on the battery when being cranked? Oh and welcome. :)

Edited by Guest

Dash lights don't dim.

Tried tapping with a mallet but no joy.

Not sure of voltage when cranked, will get a helper and let you know...

Does this sound like typical starter motor failure?

Adam

Does sound like a starter failure, but then it could be a wiring problem too. They do have a habit of melting the fuse box on top of the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panic over, it was the small connector leading to the starter (the metal retaining bit to the clip has been lost)

It just needed plugging back in!!

Thanks

Adam

• Like 4

Panic over, it was the small connector leading to the starter (the metal retaining bit to the clip has been lost)

It just needed plugging back in!!

Thanks

Adam

mine did this randoml;y today, 2nd time its done it since I bought it.... gonna get under to look at the the starter tomorow!

Nice Lancia too

hell yeah :) love old lancias :) I had a thema turbo :) same engine as the integrale :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Yeah the Lancia is now tucked up for the foreseeable future.

Bit of work done on the Octavia, had the cambelt, waterpump and tensioner (VAG parts) done yesterday as well as the oil and filter. Really enjoying driving it! Never thought I'd say that as someone who has only ever driven 80s hot hatchbacks!

Adam

• Like 1

Had a small hiccup yesterday, car completely died on me at the lights and wouldn't start again. Managed to get it jump started and it was pulling 8V on idle which I thought was defo alternator failure. A bit more digging around and it turned out it was the classic alternator cable to the fusebox! Was really hot and looked tired.

Got it replaced with a new VAG one today and all is well again!

Oh and yes, went to Shark and got a stage 1!

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

• Like 2

I've always wanted a red vrs estate. Can't really justify spending the money to replace my perfectly good (old) hatch though just to get a slightly bigger load space. 

The estates seem to command a very high price compared to hatchbacks as well.