Fuel Pressure Regulator Vacuum Hose

Not had much time lately to tinker with the car, but I've finally got around to looking at this part.  The vacuum hose connecting the inlet manifold to the fuel regulator looks to me like it has been leaking:

Mp1sjTS.jpg

I've never caught it in the act, but the manifold and support strut are discoloured around it, as though they've been getting petrol on them.  The hose itself is super perished, and deeply worn from rubbing against the car body for years too:

kfFpic6.jpg

So I've bought some new stuff to replace it with:

p5Pjx3m.jpg

Will it make any difference to the operation of the car? Probably not, but it's good for the piece of mind :)

Will it make any difference to the operation of the car?

If any difference, that will be for the better. The only bad thing that could happen would be the hose to collapse if too thin walls. But given the fact the hose is for distributors, that shouldn't be a problem.

If any difference, that will be for the better. The only bad thing that could happen would be the hose to collapse if too thin walls. But given the fact the hose is for distributors, that shouldn't be a problem.

The tube is certainly way beefier than the old one, didn't realise it was for distributors though!

I would be concerned that the fuel regulator is failing if it has been sucking petrol through that hose.

How likely is this, and is there any way I can test it?

You would need a vacuum pump to test it properly, if you apply a vacuum and it holds then the integrity is good. To be honest, it could only be a slight weep at the moment, I'm sure you would notice if it was pulling a significant amount of petrol into the intake.

You would need a vacuum pump to test it properly, if you apply a vacuum and it holds then the integrity is good. To be honest, it could only be a slight weep at the moment, I'm sure you would notice if it was pulling a significant amount of petrol into the intake.

Thanks for the info, I don't have a vacuum pump so can't try that unfortunately.  The car seems by and large to be running fine at the moment, presumably it would be quite noticeably not if the intake manifold was full of petrol!  I will keep an eye on it though, just in case.

Alan, if there was the slightest tightness failure of the fuel regulator, you would have known it by now. Enjoy the car and stop worrying.

Alan, if there was the slightest tightness failure of the fuel regulator, you would have known it by now. Enjoy the car and stop worrying.

Thanks for the reassurance :)