April 1996 - the Skoda Octavia Launch - 20 years on

ColinD

And so many of them still going strong!!!

Yup,

My 2001 1.4 16v 120k miles - still great, except for a trapped seat belt ding  bodywork is rust-free 

• 4 weeks later...

I had a Mk 1 Octavia, and I've had 3 Mk 2 Octavias, my father still has his Mk2 as well - he's had it since new in 2005.

Great cars, and I am even more enamoured with my Superb.

My '51 plate vRS has just clicked over 160,000 miles. Bought five years ago with 70k on the clock for £2,500 - there must be a reason that I've kept her for so long.

By far the cheapest and oldest car I've ever bought in 25 years of motoring, but by far the best....and I've owned a Porsche 911 too!

It's just an amazing all-rounder, I am getting worried about the age and mileage now because I don't want to part with her!

• 2 years later...
On 17/05/2016 at 01:49, Ray Luxury-Yacht said:

My '51 plate vRS has just clicked over 160,000 miles. Bought five years ago with 70k on the clock for £2,500 - there must be a reason that I've kept her for so long.

By far the cheapest and oldest car I've ever bought in 25 years of motoring, but by far the best....and I've owned a Porsche 911 too!

It's just an amazing all-rounder, I am getting worried about the age and mileage now because I don't want to part with her!

That is exactly what I said about my first Octavia estate bought in 2005 at 3 years old for £3.5K with a stratospheric mileage and what I am saying again about the low mileage 2006 MK2 estate I have just bought for £750 which I expect to last me even longer than its predecessor, I was sad to part with the last one, I actually scrapped it, I took her to 325000 miles with all sorts of abuse and masive overloading especially towing but she would have gone on for another 10 years, it was the right thing to do though because her successor is so much better in so many ways yet so familiar, same colour, many people have noticed the change of number plate but not the change of car!

How can a car be so old, be so good and so cheap? The last I can understand but the first 2 take some reprogramming of what we have become used to.