The 220ps experiences, questions & answers thread

I would have chosen the 220 Tsi but wanted 4x4 so went 190 Tdi

Remap the 190 (they go to 220) and you will end up with a car quicker than the 220 TSi, has better traction and uses less fuel, win, win win.  :thumbup:

Oh and FWIW the maxidot was showing 59 mpg on the way home today!

granted that was in a 1.4 TDi (90 bhp) SE L Fabia  :D , I did giggle when I tried it in sport mode..... OH!! 

• Like 1

Remap the 190 (they go to 220) and you will end up with a car quicker than the 220 TSi, has better traction and uses less fuel, win, win win. :thumbup:

Oh and FWIW the maxidot was showing 59 mpg on the way home today!

granted that was in a 1.4 TDi (90 bhp) SE L Fabia :D , I did giggle when I tried it in sport mode..... OH!!

Haha. :) The only thing then is you're still driving a flat boring diesel and constantly listening to, as one joker on PH put it recently, two skeletons copulating in a filing cabinet. :D

All in good fun but this is the 220 thread so it's allowed. :p

• Like 1

Yep it is indeed, it's the EA888 gen 3 TSI which is the same unit in the mk3 Octavia VRS. :)

I posted in the Ask a Tech section the other day and it was confirmed that this engine does indeed have both multi point injection (MPI) and direct injection (DI). Basically the car uses direct injection to stabilise the idle and also when the car is under full load, but the rest of the time it reverts to MPI (aka port injection). The primary reason is to comply with the upcoming Euro 6c emissions regs, as DI creates a lot of particulate matter (i.e. soot) as a byproduct, and this way VAG have avoided needing to use a GPF (shudder). As a happy side effect, using the 'old fashioned' MPI whereby fuel and air mixture is drawn into the cylinders (suck-squeeze-bang-blow) means that the inlet valves once again get sprayed with petrol which helps keep them clean. This avoids the massive issues previous TSI engines have had with carbon build up on the inlet valves. It also means we get a nice quiet engine rather than the 'sewing machine' sound (aka diesel clatter) of those engines relying solely on DI. 

Thanks Derv, that's very useful info. Maybe I should move to a newer Superb............or any other VAG car with the 2.0 TSi engine.

DC

Yep it is indeed, it's the EA888 gen 3 TSI which is the same unit in the mk3 Octavia VRS. :)

I posted in the Ask a Tech section the other day and it was confirmed that this engine does indeed have both multi point injection (MPI) and direct injection (DI). Basically the car uses direct injection to stabilise the idle and also when the car is under full load, but the rest of the time it reverts to MPI (aka port injection). The primary reason is to comply with the upcoming Euro 6c emissions regs, as DI creates a lot of particulate matter (i.e. soot) as a byproduct, and this way VAG have avoided needing to use a GPF (shudder). As a happy side effect, using the 'old fashioned' MPI whereby fuel and air mixture is drawn into the cylinders (suck-squeeze-bang-blow) means that the inlet valves once again get sprayed with petrol which helps keep them clean. This avoids the massive issues previous TSI engines have had with carbon build up on the inlet valves. It also means we get a nice quiet engine rather than the 'sewing machine' sound (aka diesel clatter) of those engines relying solely on DI. 

Many thanks for the tech info ! Big Like !

Really glad that inlet valve issue was solved, it was a problem in the past 3-4 years engines

This was certainly not intended as an MPG type thread, but we've had some good mixed info already and I do think this is relevant to others so here goes:

After our recent day trip out, I happened to notice we were down to half a tank of fuel when we were nearly home. I had initially filled with VPower as I said earlier in the thread, and the acceleration and MPG was very favourable. We don't have any Tesco fuel stations near us, but there is a big one on a main road about 6 miles away which we happened to be passing at that time. As my previous car seemed to absolutely love their Momentum 99, and its high alcohol content is meant to be great for turbo cars, I popped in and topped off with 40 or so litres of the stuff.

Unfortunately the S3 really doesn't seem to like it. I've actually been left wondering whether it was a dodgy or stale batch of fuel things are so poor in comparison. :o The car feels a little more sluggish, occasionally it is literally hesitant when asked to accelerate from low revs, and MPG has taken a nosedive. I'm seeing 15mpg on very short local runs (previously 25mpg) and on longer runs out I was seeing 32 to 34mpg on VPower but now with 2/3 of a tank of M99 I can't seem to break 28mpg. Nothing else has changed (similar weather, same daily errands/runs, same driving style) but the car just isn't the same. I've only done 99 miles and used a quarter of a tank, with a projected 320 miles remaining. That's a huge difference! The VPower tank gave me 350 miles to half a tank with around 300 miles of range predicted remaining. Wow.

I'll be running this batch off asap and brimming back up with the proper stuff I think. If MPG hikes again I'll know where my bread's buttered and will stick to Shell in future. It's surely too coincidental that I add M99 and the MPG and power is down by a huge margin (not just one or two MPG either!). I did some sums and the VPower easily works out cheaper (by a couple of pounds a week) even accounting for it being 6ppl dearer than M99 and 11ppl dearer than 95 RON if that economy holds true. So my advice: Stick to VPower and you'll save money overall. And no, I don't work for Shell (but if they want to give me free fuel for saying it my email is.... :D).

Edited to clarify:

The gauge showed I'd used just over half a tank, i.e. just under half left. The tank actually took about 40 litres, so almost 2/3 of a full tank. My overall MPG 'since refuelling' was 32/33 on VPower but is now 29/30 on the M99 mix after four days usage. Based on prices of £1.059 for M99 and £1.119 for VPower and with the 2mpg difference between fuels, I'll save about £2 a week using VPower over M99.

Edited by Derv

This was certainly not intended as an MPG type thread, but we've had some good mixed info already and I do think this is relevant to others so here goes:

After our recent day trip out, I happened to notice we were down to half a tank of fuel when we were nearly home. I had initially filled with VPower as I said earlier in the thread, and the acceleration and MPG was very favourable. We don't have any Tesco fuel stations near us, but there is a big one on a main road about 6 miles away which we happened to be passing at that time. As my previous car seemed to absolutely love their Momentum 99, and its high alcohol content is meant to be great for turbo cars, I popped in and topped off with 40 or so litres of the stuff.

Unfortunately the S3 really doesn't seem to like it. I've actually been left wondering whether it was a dodgy or stale batch of fuel things are so poor in comparison. :o The car feels a little more sluggish, occasionally it is literally hesitant when asked to accelerate from low revs, and MPG has taken a nosedive. I'm seeing 15mpg on very short local runs (previously 25mpg) and on longer runs out I was seeing 32 to 34mpg on VPower but now with 2/3 of a tank of M99 I can't seem to break 28mpg. Nothing else has changed (similar weather, same daily errands/runs, same driving style) but the car just isn't the same. I've only done 99 miles and used a quarter of a tank, with a projected 320 miles remaining. That's a huge difference! The VPower tank gave me 350 miles to half a tank with around 300 miles of range predicted remaining. Wow.

I'll be running this batch off asap and brimming back up with the proper stuff I think. If MPG hikes again I'll know where my bread's buttered and will stick to Shell in future. It's surely too coincidental that I add M99 and the MPG and power is down by a huge margin (not just one or two MPG either!). I did some sums and the VPower easily works out cheaper (by a couple of pounds a week) even accounting for it being 6ppl dearer than M99 and 11ppl dearer than 95 RON if that economy holds true. So my advice: Stick to VPower and you'll save money overall. And no, I don't work for Shell (but if they want to give me free fuel for saying it my email is.... :D).

Edited to clarify:

The gauge showed I'd used just over half a tank, i.e. just under half left. The tank actually took about 40 litres, so almost 2/3 of a full tank. My overall MPG 'since refuelling' was 32/33 on VPower but is now 29/30 on the M99 mix after four days usage. Based on prices of £1.059 for M99 and £1.119 for VPower and with the 2mpg difference between fuels, I'll save about £2 a week using VPower over M99.

Thanks for that Derv, I was going to use M99 as I pass a Tesco's when leaving work.  Will stick to Esso 97 then which is what I am running now and it is offering 600miles for a tank, mid to high 30's for MPG which I am happy with and it feels fine when driving.  Don't have a Shell near by so cannot try that one.

Thanks for that Derv, I was going to use M99 as I pass a Tesco's when leaving work.  Will stick to Esso 97 then which is what I am running now and it is offering 600miles for a tank, mid to high 30's for MPG which I am happy with and it feels fine when driving.  Don't have a Shell near by so cannot try that one.

I have to be honest and say that this morning the predicted range has gone up again to 400 miles (after already having done over 100). It still doesn't feel at all keen to accelerate though and I feel like I'm giving a lot more throttle for less results (half throttle for slow acceleration). It actually feels like Eco Mode but the car is in D. If Esso is working for you mate I'd stick to that and swerve the M99 just in case. :thumbup: If it doesn't fix itself by the time it's part way into the next tank of full fat VPower I'll be taking a trip to the dealers just in case.

I have to be honest and say that this morning the predicted range has gone up again to 400 miles (after already having done over 100). It still doesn't feel at all keen to accelerate though and I feel like I'm giving a lot more throttle for less results (half throttle for slow acceleration). It actually feels like Eco Mode but the car is in D. If Esso is working for you mate I'd stick to that and swerve the M99 just in case. :thumbup: If it doesn't fix itself by the time it's part way into the next tank of full fat VPower I'll be taking a trip to the dealers just in case.

I think I will, I had heard a lot of good things about Tesco M99 so was willing to go back and try.  Moved away from Tesco with the old Mondeo as it hated the 95, rough running and average MPG - moved to Esso and the engine sounded so much smoother and the MPG went up by about 4/5MPG.  Still get Clubcard points at Esso so will stick with them as not had a bad tank of fuel from them in the 3 years I have used them.

Now if only I could find a way of stopping it sounding blowy like a blown exhaust when it is cold or is that the case with new engines.  Have to say it warms up very quickly compared to my old car but then I think you can measure the free space in the engine compartment in millimetres it looks that tight.

Great car, great engine and now looks and shines great after being professionally detailed over the past couple of days.

• Like 1

I think I will, I had heard a lot of good things about Tesco M99 so was willing to go back and try.  Moved away from Tesco with the old Mondeo as it hated the 95, rough running and average MPG - moved to Esso and the engine sounded so much smoother and the MPG went up by about 4/5MPG.  Still get Clubcard points at Esso so will stick with them as not had a bad tank of fuel from them in the 3 years I have used them.

Now if only I could find a way of stopping it sounding blowy like a blown exhaust when it is cold or is that the case with new engines.  Have to say it warms up very quickly compared to my old car but then I think you can measure the free space in the engine compartment in millimetres it looks that tight.

Great car, great engine and now looks and shines great after being professionally detailed over the past couple of days.

Pics? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Back on the V-Power now and we're well and truly back in the 30s. We pottered a few miles to the garden centre this morning (oh the high life), mostly 40mph A roads with a lot of traffic and lights. By the time we got there we had 38.5mpg showing. That's 10mpg better than the Tesco stuff gave on similar runs all last week. *shrug* The engine is loosening up nicely now, almost 1,000 miles and accelerating and pulling beautifully. I took a few hundred mile jaunt out through Chorley into the Yorkshire Dales and up to the Lake District over the weekend to put some proper running-in-miles on the engine. About six hours driving all in, mostly B roads up hill and (literally) down dale. We even hit a snow storm on the way back! The S3 is no sports saloon, but once you balance the weight properly and power into the hairpins it gives a very decent account of itself. A little too cocooned and lacking in feedback for a real sporty drive, but extremely satisfying nonetheless. Wafty. :wub:

• Like 1

Back on the V-Power now and we're well and truly back in the 30s. We pottered a few miles to the garden centre this morning (oh the high life), mostly 40mph A roads with a lot of traffic and lights. By the time we got there we had 38.5mpg showing. That's 10mpg better than the Tesco stuff gave on similar runs all last week. *shrug* The engine is loosening up nicely now, almost 1,000 miles and accelerating and pulling beautifully. I took a few hundred mile jaunt out through Chorley into the Yorkshire Dales and up to the Lake District over the weekend to put some proper running-in-miles on the engine. About six hours driving all in, mostly B roads up hill and (literally) down dale. We even hit a snow storm on the way back! The S3 is no sports saloon, but once you balance the weight properly and power into the hairpins it gives a very decent account of itself. A little too cocooned and lacking in feedback for a real sporty drive, but extremely satisfying nonetheless. Wafty. :wub:

I like wafty, it's the way I roll.

There's a red L&K 220 hatch coming up for sale in Mansfield (?) soon, £28K might be too expensive, but it might make a nice alternative to a vRS 230.

Has anyone on here remapped a 220, or even put their car onto a rolling road dyno yet? 

Golf GTi & vRS owners have often reported that the official 220ps is something of an understatement, & I'm wondering if that applies to the Superb 3 too.

DC

• Like 1

I like wafty, it's the way I roll.

There's a red L&K 220 hatch coming up for sale in Mansfield (?) soon, £28K might be too expensive, but it might make a nice alternative to a vRS 230.

Has anyone on here remapped a 220, or even put their car onto a rolling road dyno yet? 

Golf GTi & vRS owners have often reported that the official 220ps is something of an understatement, & I'm wondering if that applies to the Superb 3 too.

DC

Not sure I'd map it in the warranty period. I'd definitely be interested in putting it on the dyno though, especially comparing 95 RON to 97 RON to M99 to V-Power. I too have read a lot of reports of this engine pushing closer to 245/250ps on the dyno at the wheels, but I suppose it makes sense when you think of it. VAG are essentially selling the engine as capable of 220ps on 95 RON fuel in the harshest environment it is marketed to (altitude, heat, whatever). Put it on 99 RON and in the moderate British weather and it makes sense it'll do better. Even the manual says it will give 'increased power and improved economy' on fuel higher than 95 RON. I might look into getting it tested actually...

I'm still trying to find a copy of the self study guide for this engine. I've found the 2.0T gen2 and the gen3 1.8 but nothing for the 2.0T gen3. :(

Edit: A local company do power runs (three runs, best printed out as a power/torque graph with ignition timing etc monitored). I've sent them an email to see what they suggest. It's only £50, though I don't know if that's competitive or what.

Edited by Derv

I too have read a lot of reports of this engine pushing closer to 245/250ps on the dyno at the wheels,

There are loads of dynos that over read though, you really need to take it to someone reputable after doing a bit of research on how accurate they are.

Shark are supposed to under read a bit if anything, even taking that into account my 190 produced just 171bhp!

• Like 1

Pleased you are loving yours as much as I am mine.

Now on my third tank of fuel and am still using the 97RON from Esso.  The MPG dropped a little on the last tank but then I am now using it for work and the car hates sitting in traffic so the MPG drops.  Once out of town it is on about 22MPG and then over the next 8 miles it rises nicely to about 35MPG so happy with that, the previous tank saw 515miles from full to the red and it said that 60 miles were left.  Had a drive from Lincoln up to Doncaster at the weekend and used Comfort mode for the first time and it was so smooth in ride and drive.

One thing I have done is follow Skoda's advice and upped the tyre pressures to the 3.6 Bar as Skoda recommend that for economy so will see what this next tank gives me in terms of MPG, not expecting great things but every little helps as they say.

• Like 2

Pleased you are loving yours as much as I am mine.

Now on my third tank of fuel and am still using the 97RON from Esso.  The MPG dropped a little on the last tank but then I am now using it for work and the car hates sitting in traffic so the MPG drops.  Once out of town it is on about 22MPG and then over the next 8 miles it rises nicely to about 35MPG so happy with that, the previous tank saw 515miles from full to the red and it said that 60 miles were left.  Had a drive from Lincoln up to Doncaster at the weekend and used Comfort mode for the first time and it was so smooth in ride and drive.

One thing I have done is follow Skoda's advice and upped the tyre pressures to the 3.6 Bar as Skoda recommend that for economy so will see what this next tank gives me in terms of MPG, not expecting great bethings but every little helps as they say.

3.6 bar = 52 psi, can the tyres be inflated that high? Most tyres have the maximum safe pressure moulded on the tyre wall, perhaps you should have a peek ASAP?

Or,............was 3.6 a typo ?

DC

Not sure I'd map it in the warranty period. I'd definitely be interested in putting it on the dyno though, especially comparing 95 RON to 97 RON to M99 to V-Power. I too have read a lot of reports of this engine pushing closer to 245/250ps on the dyno at the wheels, but I suppose it makes sense when you think of it. VAG are essentially selling the engine as capable of 220ps on 95 RON fuel in the harshest environment it is marketed to (altitude, heat, whatever). Put it on 99 RON and in the moderate British weather and it makes sense it'll do better. Even the manual says it will give 'increased power and improved economy' on fuel higher than 95 RON. I might look into getting it tested actually...

I'm still trying to find a copy of the self study guide for this engine. I've found the 2.0T gen2 and the gen3 1.8 but nothing for the 2.0T gen3. :(

Edit: A local company do power runs (three runs, best printed out as a power/torque graph with ignition timing etc monitored). I've sent them an email to see what they suggest. It's only £50, though I don't know if that's competitive or what.

I do understand your thoughts re the warranty. I took the risk, but I wouldn't suggest that it was a good idea. 

I'll have to ask my local tuners, (AMD) what they might charge, my Superb was tweaked at 6+k miles & it seems to be quicker & more economical at 20k+miles,

maybe it's loosened up a little & making even more power!

DC. 

• Like 1

Pentaxian will have meant 2.6 bar (38 PSI), which is the recommended 'eco' setting for the S3. The fuel filler flap lists 32 PSI (normal load), 38 PSI for moderate load and/or 'eco' (i.e. lower rolling resistance and less fuel consumption with a small decrease in handling/grip) and then a bigger number, which I can't recall off the top of my head, for fully loaded with five passengers, the dogs and a crate of concrete in the boot. :D

It'd be interesting to see what AMD charge for a dyno run if you ever get around to asking. :thumbup:

Pentaxian will have meant 2.6 bar (38 PSI), which is the recommended 'eco' setting for the S3. The fuel filler flap lists 32 PSI (normal load), 38 PSI for moderate load and/or 'eco' (i.e. lower rolling resistance and less fuel consumption with a small decrease in handling/grip) and then a bigger number, which I can't recall off the top of my head, for fully loaded with five passengers, the dogs and a crate of concrete in the boot. :D

It'd be interesting to see what AMD charge for a dyno run if you ever get around to asking. :thumbup:

They did a special £35 Sunday morning offer for Briskoda members a while back, but very few people turned up, so I don't think that they'll match that offer again.

I'll call them ASAP! 

DC

They did a special £35 Sunday morning offer for Briskoda members a while back, but very few people turned up, so I don't think that they'll match that offer again.

I'll call them ASAP! 

DC

No rush mate, I'm unfortunately not likely to run down to Essex from Liverpool just for a dyno run. It'd be interesting to see the difference if you do though. :)

I did indeed mean 2.6.  It is 2.6 in the front and 3.0 in the rear for the fully loaded setting.

• Like 1

I'll call them ASAP! 

DC

I'd  be interested in getting mine on a RR just for a laugh. Last car I had on was my Cobra and that was about 420 :-) Wonder how they manage the Haldex ...

• Like 1

I'd  be interested in getting mine on a RR just for a laugh. Last car I had on was my Cobra and that was about 420 :-) Wonder how they manage the Haldex ...

Someone on Briskoda or the Golf R forum has posted the VCDS codes needed to tell the Haldex to stay in FWD mode.

DC 

• Like 1

No rush mate, I'm unfortunately not likely to run down to Essex from Liverpool just for a dyno run. It'd be interesting to see the difference if you do though. :)

Stay in Liverpool, AMD want £60 + VAT for three dyno runs & a printout...............

DC

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A bit of a bump, but how are we all getting on with our 220s? I never like hijacking the 280 thread (unless it's general petrol chat) but here's a few bits from me: 

The car is now just over 2,600 miles or so. I've read a few times on here about VAG cars suddenly loosening up and becoming more efficient after 2,000 or 2,500 miles, and I was a bit suspicious. At least, I didn't think it likely there was a specific instruction in the ECU to lean off and start running better after an arbitrary distance. That said, we passed 2,500 last week and the car has been absolutely brilliant ever since. I hadn't even thought of the mileage until later, when I wondered why the car was suddenly so extra willing, easy to fire out of corners at full throttle, and good on fuel. Who knows? 

I needed a new tyre on the NSF last Friday as I had picked up a screw in the shoulder of the tyre (unrepairable).  :devil:  While it's not an Aston, I was loathe to have two mismatched tyres on the same axle considering it's 220+ps with only FWD. So as it turns out now I have 2x Michelin Primacy 3 tyres on the front, and the factory Pirelli Cinturato P7s on the rear. The Michelins are night and day better than the P7s, with much more grip, less road noise, less yaw on turn in and so far I haven't been able to get the fronts to spin from a standing start or for traction control to light up. :thumbup:

With my RoSPA advanced driving test looming (overdue, actually) I headed out for some peace and quiet "practice" this evening while my wife put the kids to bed. It was a good mix of mostly twisty B roads with varying limits (40mph to NSL), as well as the odd short A road blast (to get to the next B road) and a few urban 30mph B roads at either end. I was out for an hour and 20 minutes and covered about 45 miles. I was in full 'maximum progress' attack mode, accelerating briskly to the limits and only slowing down to the limit point of corners before chasing it around hard and firing out the other side back to NSL. I used a handy little app called GPS Tracker (Android) which logged the whole route, average and min/max speeds, elevation and the route itself so I could analyse it later on Google Earth (don't you just love technology?). 

The funny thing is though, on the way out I just couldn't get the economy below 40mpg even with 'pressing on' the whole time and with all the twisty bits. My GreenScore was 100, so it seems that anticipation is key to that one, rather than just driving like a granny.

post-63706-0-06470400-1467753629_thumb.jpgpost-63706-0-78686900-1467753634_thumb.jpg

On the way back I was starting to take offence, as if my driving was a little too pedestrian. With that in mind I started burning fuel for the sake of it - accelerating between close bends, hard to the limt even when I knew I'd be shaving a lot of it back off in a few yards etc. By the time I'd done the same mileage home again (almost, I took a very slightly different route at the end) I'd managed to burn some off. :D

post-63706-0-76087500-1467753635_thumb.jpgpost-63706-0-82425800-1467753636_thumb.jpgpost-63706-0-82208400-1467753637_thumb.jpg

Oh. Well, not that much. :D

The car is now a little weathered, the interior needs a light vaccuum (hint: a microfibre cloth cleans Alcantara seats way faster and better than a Hoover!) and it's due its next full wash and wax. Well, sealant top up. The car is an asbolute pleasure to drive, and thrives on being pushed. With maximum torque at such low revs it's easy to hustle to the speed limit quickly even without exceeding 2,500 to 3,000 rpm. It's much more fun to red-line it though, however fuel consumption starts to suffer badly for not much gain (ignore if on a hoon!). I have to say I take back my hypothesis about Tesco Momentum 99 fuel earlier in the thread. I filled up with the stuff a couple of weeks ago and have been getting my best economy - and performance - to date. My wife reminded me that I used to complain last year (when I had the Mazda 6) if I filled up with petrol from the station I first used for the Superb. I have a memory like a goldfish but she assures me every time I filled up at that particular Tesco, I always moaned for the duration of the tank that the car felt down on power and was rubbish on fuel. Note to self: avoid it in future, perhaps the tanks there are compromised or something?

I can definitely recommend Tesco Momentum 99 or Shell V-Power for those wanting maximum power and economy from a TSI. The manual does say it but I'm repeating it here - it's absolutely true. Fuel over 98 RON (i.e. only the aforementioned two in the UK) trigger the ECU's high octane ignition maps and advance timing accordingly. The car will thank you for it and you'll definitely be left with a big smile on your face. :thumbup:  I'm sorely tempted to take a trip into Germany towards the end of summer, once the latest baby Rainmaker is here.

So, what have the rest of you been up to?

• Like 3

@Rainmaker: thanks a lot for your review and thoughts on the 220 TSI.

I am just a few months shy of ordering a TSI220 and already excited by this, specially after reading such reviews (really a rare bird, as most everybody does TDI these days)

Best regards

• Like 1