The 220ps experiences, questions & answers thread

@Rainmaker: thanks a lot for your review and thoughts on the 220 TSI.

I am just a few months shy of ordering a TSI220 and already excited by this, specially after reading such reviews (really a rare bird, as most everybody does TDI these days)

Best regards

You won't regret it Norian. It's a great workhorse of an engine and can be frugal or a hooligan, depending on your mood. I am currently seeing 40 to 42mpg pottering around today, for example a hospital visit (routine pregnancy checks for my wife) and a trip through town then back home. All our previous TDIs only ever managed 38 to 44mpg even on a very careful long run, so really we've lost nothing by switching to TSI but gained a lot of fun. I don't understand the British obsession with diesel engines for passenger cars. Even factoring in 'cheap' VED ('car tax') for diesels, petrol usually wins out unless you're doing over 20k to 25k miles a year. Even then it's down to how much you're willing to pay for the extra refinement and fun. 

It's rare that I see an interesting petrol car on my travels, though you do get the odd Porche, AMG Mercedes or BMW M car. Usually it's the Polish and other Eastern European visitors who default to petrol - most times their Mondeo, BMW 3 series or whatever is a higher end petrol variant. The rest of Europe seems to have no problem with petrol power, but as usual the UK has to be awkward. :p It's a massive, practical and fun car for the money. Provided you're not expecting it to be a sports saloon you'll like it.

• Like 2

Ordering my new car

Just about to order my new car, which will be:

Superb estate L&K 2.0TSI DSG (obviously) in petrol blue with the following additional toys

black leather

Reversing camera

Heated washer nozzles

smart light assist

Travel assist

​Variable boot floor

MFSW with paddles

Temporary spare wheel

Cant wait to get it, but it will probably be about 3-4 months.

Great thread!

Pilkers

• Like 1

Ordering my new car

Just about to order my new car, which will be:

Superb estate L&K 2.0TSI DSG (obviously) in petrol blue with the following additional toys

black leather

Reversing camera

Heated washer nozzles

smart light assist

Travel assist

​Variable boot floor

MFSW with paddles

Temporary spare wheel

Cant wait to get it, but it will probably be about 3-4 months.

Great thread!

Pilkers

Nice spec mate, you'll love it! Keep us updated.

This is my 65th present to myself.  There are just the 2 of us (me and SWMBO) and 2 old retrievers.  But don't be misled, there is a boy racer waiting to be reborn!

• Like 2

Haha... Some of the best drivers ever are from your generation and the one before, there's no doubt about that. Tom Wisdom, Sterling Moss, the list goes on.

You'll get the colour Maxidot as standard on L&K iirc, so that's one thing off my must haves ticked. DCC may be worth a shout but the standard spring suspension is quite good and will be much cheaper to maintain out of warranty if you're keeping it longer term.

Is heated front screen standard on L&K? That's worth adding if not, but do test a demonstrator with it first. I never noticed it but for some they could never "unsee" the coppery film in the glass which distracted them to madness in daily driving. :D Sorry not to be more definitive but mine is SE-L Executive and I'm out atm so I'm on my phone. Bit tricker to look up specs etc on the move!

No Problem, I appreciate your help!

Yes I have all of that with L&K (including DCC).  Some things with L&K, I did not want, but when I specced up a SE-L executive with all the goodies I wanted, it was more expensive than the specced up L&K!  So as this is my mid life crisis (I wish), I want to get the car I want with all the goodies.  Hence the high spec

No need to reply if you are busy, but thanks for the thread as information about the 220 is very scarce, and I like to do my homework before spending my money.

Regards

Pilkers

Yes I have all of that with L&K (including DCC).  Some things with L&K, I did not want, but when I specced up a SE-L executive with all the goodies I wanted, it was more expensive than the specced up L&K!  So as this is my mid life crisis (I wish), I want to get the car I want with all the goodies.  Hence the high spec

No need to reply if you are busy, but thanks for the thread as information about the 220 is very scarce, and I like to do my homework before spending my money.

Regards

Pilkers

You're more than welcome, and it's no bother. The summary for the 220 is that it's essentially a fairly solid engine, good fun and frugal, but:

* Definitely benefits from high octane fuel (preferably 99 RON, so Tesco M99 or Shell V-Power). Much more low down torque and high end power, as well as better MPG.

* Coolant warms up nice and quickly due to closed loop design and the water pump not running until it's at temp, but it won't give decent economy until the oil is up to temp (a few short miles). 

* This generation of TSI shouldn't see carbonised heads and inlet valves, as VAG have introduced dual fuel injection (port/MPI as well as direct injection). This way the intake valves get regularly sprayed with petrol, so they shouldn't coke like the previous TSI engines. 

If there's anything you're not sure on or want to ask, just fire away and I or one of the other owners will be happy to chat. :thumbup:

• Like 3

Thanks for the excellent summary and the offer of help. I have had a test drive of a 190 diesel DSG version as no one has a 2.0 TSI demonstrator.  Disappointing, but understandable.  Even the diesel was quiet and quite lively.

I have read through the topic and see that there is some excellent information as you summarised.  My car when it gets delivered will embark on a 400 mile journey to its home in Northern Scotland as its first outing.  plenty of opportunity to have a good look at it.  I cant wait.

Its going to be a looooonnnnggggggggg wait!

Regards

Pilkers

Let me know if you want any specifics answering, have a L&K 220 Hatch.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of a bump, but how are we all getting on with our 220s? I never like hijacking the 280 thread (unless it's general petrol chat) but here's a few bits from me: 

The car...

Great update thanks for that Rainmaker.

Will definitely start using the Tesco Momentum 99 or Shell V-Power from now on.

• Like 1

Well one of the main reasons we brought the car took place last week and that was a 650 mile drive from Rotterdam through Germany and into the Austrian Zillertal.

For the past three years we have had a Ford Mondeo (05 Plate) which was a 1.8 with in theory 115hp (think most had left the building when it came to this trip).  On arrival it always used to be the case of leaver yourself out of the car as you were stiff, tired and ached after the drive despite regular stops (every 2 hours roughly).  This year was a case of get out and whilst yes we were tired have spent 14 hours (with stops) driving down but instead of crawling into the apartment and collapsing in bed we dropped the overnight bags off and went into town for a beer at the festival that had closed most of the main road through the alpine town.

Driving on the motorways was far more enjoyable as you knew there was power sat waiting should it be needed and it was at times, it was certainly enjoyable to be able to pull out and put the foot down as it is often a case of having to force yourself out into the overtaking lane as traffic never lets you out.  

Have also used it on a few journeys which were nothing to write home about, but today was a case of get in after being in 30 degrees all day and put the air con on full.  Within minutes it was a nice pleasant temperature.

One thing we have noticed is it is getting a lot of looks, people stop and give it a second look even those that do not hear it coming up behind them on roads etc and fail to walk to the side of the road.  One German lady walked past and was heard talking to the group she was in and commented that it was an Audi!!!!

• Like 3

best i got is 10.6l/100km,  600km with one tank.average is 13.5l/100km

I got 4x4  280ps combi

70 to 80% i am in city traffic stop and go, once in a while when i go on highway car can do 3.5 to 5.5l/100km  consumption but my foot is taking over cruise control regularly for some fun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my 220TSI DSG L&K estate this morning, took it out over motorways and back roads -- what a great car, prefer it to the E300 hybrid I just got rid of, or the 520d my colleague has. Smooth, very quiet, seamless gear changes, goes like stink, well equipped, well built, helpful dealer -- what more could you ask for? Engine and DSG in particular are a *much* better pairing than the 190TDi I test drove, petrol blue with black leather looks good too...

• Like 1

Picked up my 220TSI DSG L&K estate this morning, took it out over motorways and back roads -- what a great car, prefer it to the E300 hybrid I just got rid of, or the 520d my colleague has. Smooth, very quiet, seamless gear changes, goes like stink, well equipped, well built, helpful dealer -- what more could you ask for? Engine and DSG in particular are a *much* better pairing than the 190TDi I test drove, petrol blue with black leather looks good too...

Congrats and welcome to the 'club'. It's a lovely steer, isn't it? Usual banter aside, I have nothing in particular against the diesels per se; but I do agree that the DSG mates so much nicer with a larger petrol engine. Enjoy it mate, and poke into the running in TSI engines thread if you haven't already. :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ordered a fully tricked out (sans moonroof) magnetic brown L&K hatch, now waiting for build week confirmation. Original estimate was "delivery within 22 weeks" but I was told that it might be much quicker. My only concern is that many owners here phrased criticism over road noise. On the - admittedly short - test drive in a 190 diesel I have not found it noisy at all, though that car was not equipped with the adjustable suspension. Should something go wrong I might end up replacing the P7s... The dealer told me that the oem tyres are non-runflat, which (runflats) I hate anyways. Can anyone confirm this?

• Like 2

Ordered a fully tricked out (sans moonroof) magnetic brown L&K hatch, now waiting for build week confirmation. Original estimate was "delivery within 22 weeks" but I was told that it might be much quicker. My only concern is that many owners here phrased criticism over road noise. On the - admittedly short - test drive in a 190 diesel I have not found it noisy at all, though that car was not equipped with the adjustable suspension. Should something go wrong I might end up replacing the P7s... The dealer told me that the oem tyres are non-runflat, which (runflats) I hate anyways. Can anyone confirm this?

The factory tyres are definitely not run flats. The P7 isn't the quietest tyre but not the worst either. Something like a Eagle F1 or Michelin-something would be rather quieter again though. I didn't find the P7s an issue but when I changed the front axle to Primacy 3 tyres I was pleasantly surprised how quiet they were.

Morning,

Anyone measured the brake discs on the 220 TSI ? I am curios if they are larger that "the regular" discs other Superb use. 

I'm guessing 312mm diameter or 340mm diameter like the VRS Octy 3 ? 

Preamble: I hope that putting in a direct link to an online parts store is not against forum rules. If so then mods pls correct me.

According to buycarparts.co.uk, the answer is yes: http://www.buycarparts.co.uk/brake-discs/skoda/superb-3v3/113308

From your link both 312mm and 340mm for front comes up for the 220 TSi  same thing happens for 280 TSI,  i am sure my 280 TSI front is 340mm from factory.

Rear they list 300mm , i cant measure exact on mine but sure they are a bit smaller than fronts. 

Minimum 17" wheels can be used is true according to manual, i didnt have a choice as they offered 19" only for our market. 

@Nazmi, correct, from the link it shown that both 312 and 340 are fitted, but looking into the MFRs there, TRW (which are known for being the OEM supplier) are 340mm. So, unless someone measures their discs  :clap: , than it's only a guess at this time