To flush or not to flush that is the question

Car has been in longlife services and has 72000 on the clock

Octavia 1.6cr

Going to service it this week, is it recommended to use an engine flush like wynnes

Other question is do you have to use a 6 sided oil housing socket to remove the oil filter housing or can you get away with using a conventional 32mm socket

I always have and no problems with the engines running smooth and quiet. I know from previous threads on here that many treat it as snake oil but I've seen some of the tar like deposits that come out in the oil after using an engine flush. Some stating that it knackers up the engine seals but again not in my experience as I've never had an leak. As yours has been regularly serviced you shouldn't have any problems but with a car that has no service history I wouldn't use it because if there has been large build ups you wouldn't want these being dislodged and blocking an oil channel.

Other question is do you have to use a 6 sided oil housing socket to remove the oil filter housing or can you get away with using a conventional 32mm socket

For the sake of a fiver, I would buy a six sided, but others may have used a standard socket.

If you intend keeping the car for a few years, then definitely invest, Imo.

Practically speaking Skoda say don't.

From my experience I say don't, I don't like the idea of adding something to the oil that could change its lubricating ability even short term.

What he said.

You can easily get away with a multipoint socket although I prefer a proper socket so limit damage or wear to the corners of the plastic.

IMO every home mechanic should have a good set of hex sockets as they are a lot better for getting off tired and corroded nuts and won't slip when your applying a lot of torque.

Going to service it this week, is it recommended to use an engine flush like wynnes

I don't know anyone who would use something like that and somehow we still drive our cars :)

Maybe it's good, maybe not but you can live without that.

Yes to proper socket and yes to flush, as long as the oil is drained by the sump plug and left to drain for a long time and no suctioned out and the mechanic doesn't start Reving the engine to help "get the flush right through the engine". Saw this done once, the engine sounded like two hammers hitting after that. The mech didn't understand how the flush worked and what it did to the oil, he also had to fork out for a new engine for the customers car.

Edited by meta55b

Personally I would never flush. The chemicals could react with old oil that may be helping to keep you engine in good order. If it was me I'd buy a cheaper oil and filter to the right spec. Run for a week then drain and refill with quality oil and filter of right spec

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last time i used flush was in 1988 on my Fiesta XR2, It was the worst thing i ever did,, Resulting in leaking sump around the gasket and somewhere round the back of the engine..   On a newish car, Maybe, On an older car with more miles on the clock,, Not a chance........ 

Edited by Doofy

Car has been in longlife services and has 72000 on the clock

Octavia 1.6cr

If you are on variable service intervals & feel the engine needs flushing then I'd revert back to fixed interval services and let the engine oil do the flushing.

• Like 2

Flush is OK if it is either low mileage or has been done regularly from new. If it is higher mileage and never been done, especially if it's not been well serviced you could be asking for trouble, dislodging built up crap.

The modern fully synthetic oils have plenty detergent etc in them. The best way to keep things clean, especially in a diesel is to change the oil regularly and give it a spirited drive now and then. I do all my vehicles every 5000 miles or less. It doesn't hurt the pocket too much if you do it yourself and you know exactly what is in it.

• Like 1

I would never flush.

The flush will remove some debris but also dislodge or weaken other more stubborn bits. These bits then gradually come loose after the oil change and cause more issues than it cured.

• Like 1

I never flush with an additive, I have in the past on a previous car and it felt like it wasn't quite the same while the flush was in the engine. But it seemed fine after changing the oil.

The only thing I do these days is after draining the oil, I glugg in a litre of the same grade oil just to flush any crap out that may be sat in the sump. The engine oil seems to stay clear for longer so not can't be a bad thing.

I never flush with an additive, I have in the past on a previous car and it felt like it wasn't quite the same while the flush was in the engine. But it seemed fine after changing the oil.

How did the engine not feel the same? You're only supposed to let it sit at a fast idle not drive the car. 

The flush will remove some debris but also dislodge or weaken other more stubborn bits. These bits then gradually come loose after the oil change and cause more issues than it cured.

That is why it is a bad idea to flush engines with an unknown past or poor service history. Flushing with a regular services and the internals are kept clean. Just looking into the rocker cover after an engine flush shows how clean it is kept.

I have no problems with those that change the oil twice a year but it's an expensive way of achieving the same thing, not to mention more environmentally damaging but then it's VAG so I suppose part of the package. 

From my experience I say don't, I don't like the idea of adding something to the oil that could change its lubricating ability even short term

You put the engine flush into a warmed up engine and leave on a fast idle. The thinning of the oil causes no less lubrication than driving with a cold engine.

• 1 month later...

Got my car in for a sump pan change right now. They mentioned the flush word. Should I be ringing them up and saying not to flush it? It has 71k and I've no idea whether or not it's been done before...

Argh.  Turns out they think  the oil sensor is on its way out. They have done a flush, but currently the car is sat with the old oil and flush additive, but they don't have a sensor in stock and can't find one locally. So now, I have to pick up the car, drive it home 7 miles, and then back again tomorrow with the flush still in the car, as they're understandably reluctant to drop all the oil twice.  I'd rather leave it there overnight so that I don't have drive it but I have no otherway of getting to/from work without spending loads on Taxis/buses... I really wish I'd just rang them up first thing and said don't do a flush...

Argh.  Turns out they think  the oil sensor is on its way out. They have done a flush, but currently the car is sat with the old oil and flush additive, but they don't have a sensor in stock and can't find one locally. So now, I have to pick up the car, drive it home 7 miles, and then back again tomorrow with the flush still in the car, as they're understandably reluctant to drop all the oil twice.  I'd rather leave it there overnight so that I don't have drive it but I have no otherway of getting to/from work without spending loads on Taxis/buses... I really wish I'd just rang them up first thing and said don't do a flush...

Do the double oil change or leave your car. You never know if you will inadvertently use the car for another journey or have to put your foot down. Flushes are not meant to be used as per driving conditions. 

Are you changing the oil level sensor due to the yellow light on the dash? I reckon they should just reset the interval to Fixed using the dash display. They might just be suggesting a new oil sensor as they don't want to reuse the old one in which case they might not be able to guarantee a seal in the sump and sensor due to the old gasket.

Edited by UdayP
  • Like 1

Argh.  Turns out they think  the oil sensor is on its way out.

So? What does it matter what they think?

Go onto fixed interval servicing and the oil sensor is not used.

Do the double oil change or leave your car. You never know if you will inadvertently use the car for another journey or have to put your foot down. Flushes are not meant to be used as per driving conditions. 

Are you changing the oil level sensor due to the yellow light on the dash? I reckon they should just reset the interval to Fixed using the dash display. They might just be suggesting a new oil sensor as they don't want to reuse the old one in which case they might not be able to guarantee a seal in the sump and sensor due to the old gasket.

Yeah I've told them to keep the car over night. They are changing it because they believe it has an intermittent fault.  From memory, the sensor does not have gasket as such; I believe it uses the same sealant that is used to seal the pan try to the engine block.

So? What does it matter what they think?

Go onto fixed interval servicing and the oil sensor is not used.

Is this sensor not responsible for measuring oil levels too? As far a I'm aware, it is not soley for longlife/variable service oil.  I'm tempted, for ease, to tell them not to change the sensor, and I'll monitor the issue.  My car is already on fixed servicing.

Yeah I've told them to keep the car over night. They are changing it because they believe it has an intermittent fault.  From memory, the sensor does not have gasket as such; I believe it uses the same sealant that is used to seal the pan try to the engine block.

Is this sensor not responsible for measuring oil levels too? As far a I'm aware, it is not soley for longlife/variable service oil.  I'm tempted, for ease, to tell them not to change the sensor, and I'll monitor the issue.  My car is already on fixed servicing.

Snap, I also thought it was for level and not just to detect 'high quality' oil and temp.

• Like 1

Don't drive the car with the engine flush in, I can't believe they said to do that.

What is the problem with the oil sensor? If it's not showing the oil temp on the maxi dot display it just needs enabling via VCDS. My dealer tried charging me £115 + fitting for that one saying it was faulty when it only needed switching on.