To flush or not to flush that is the question

I flush. I do a very expensive job of it though, usually when I buy a different car.

The process:

Run a bottle of forte through for 30/40 mins

drain the oil and replace the filter

flush through with the sump plug out with a few litres of good oil

remove, clean and refit the sump

fill with new oil

run for 30/40 mins

drain oil and change filter

flush through again with another few litres of oil

fit new filter, magnetic sump plug with new washer and fill the engine with 5w30s LL3

I know it might seem like overkill but ive never had any of my engines fail on me and I tend to buy high mileage, ex lease vehicles.

• Like 1

Bummer

I'll be scrutinising the invoice/bill.  I suspect it's going to be £250+ as I have a feeling they'll try for 2 hours labour + diagnostics. There's £180 plus £100 for sealant and sensor (I supplied oil, filter, and sump pan).

I'll be scrutinising the invoice/bill.  I suspect it's going to be £250+ as I have a feeling they'll try for 2 hours labour + diagnostics. There's £180 plus £100 for sealant and sensor (I supplied oil, filter, and sump pan).

What about the sump nut?  :p

Make sure they fasten up the sump nut nice and tight..... ;)

Different Garage this time, so fingers crossed, there'll be no repeats.  

Total cost of the over tightened bolt: £400!  The invoice for fitting it has come to £261 inc sealant, and sensor (that I said NOT to fit) so I'll be having a chat about the bill when I get there...

Edited by planehazza

Still too late for a quick drain valve?

Yup, I just want to get the car back now to be honest. I want to see where they've got £261 from, as IMO it seems awfully high for an oil change, sensor replacement and sump pan fitting.  Bear in mind, that that price doesn't even include the £120 pan,  filter, or oil that I supplied myself...  If it's labour alone, how would it take 3 hours?!

I think I've got myself worked up and perhaps I over reacted a little but I'm still a little unhappy about the sensor. 2 hours labour, a new pickup pipe on top of the sensor,and the sealants etc. 261 quid.