Lofty's Sprint Yellow Fabia vRS Mk1 - "Project Daffodil"

Lofty

• 3 weeks later...

Lofty sorry for the slight off topic and this may sound like a daft question, but would would this stuff you are soaking your block in, remove carbon build up from a plastic inlet manifold? And also a metal egr pipe (I'm thinking specifically on my 2.0 16v tdi Octavia).

Hi ash, it wouldn't I'm afraid, if you soak an rusty bolt that's covered in grease for example, the grease prevents the solution from working. Best thing I've used on inlet manifolds is oven cleaner, leave it soaking overnight and it dissolves most of the carbon build up

• Like 1

Watching with interest as this is the same route i plan to go with spare engine. Is that head from Darkside? see youre having the same trouble with NPS as me

Rich tells me you are going back to standard exhaust on your 335D? :D

Watching with interest as this is the same route i plan to go with spare engine. Is that head from Darkside? see youre having the same trouble with NPS as me

Couple of replies over on Tdiclub saying he's alive and kicking but busy......

How long do you leave it is the question??

Rich tells me you are going back to standard exhaust on your 335D? :D

Not a noise issues you honestly cant tell the silencers are gone at idle or normal driving just a deeper tone when gunning it. Cant get the thing on my drive without it scraping badly, should of gone 2.5"! lost interest now so ill just whore the golf some more :D

• Like 1

Couple of replies over on Tdiclub saying he's alive and kicking but busy......

How long do you leave it is the question??

I dont know, i asked darkside for the specs on their cam as i believe they initially were getting their race cam from NPS but they wont give me the specs as they say it could get copied! all they will say is it is aggressive as it can be with oem lifters with pocketing pistons etc. they want £500 + vat for the cam so about 120 more than a delivered NPS one

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The benefit of buying another modified Fabia is that some of the bits that won't be required on that can find their way into the yellow one.

As I'll be aiming for 300 bhp I'm sure the standard air filter will be prob at its limit so I've robbed the Jabba cone filter in a box set up. Now like everything on the black car it's dirty!!

7140707A-EB0D-412D-BBF0-9234F010241A_zps

D1BAF233-3C1A-46E9-ABC6-AC13BAD50FC9_zps

I had removed the foam seal from the edge of the aluminium plate at this point..

Doing some research on filter sizes, the K&N RU 3550 had the same inlet size but was marginally taller, good news is it fits in the air box!!!

The plate has been etch primed then done in VHT crackle black and I've bought some new neoprene foam seal for the edges.

I'll get some pics up when it's dry and reassembled

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 2

The Nurburgring was GO!!!

IMG_6013_zpsp6dvmclk.jpg

racetracker_1022212_14918_zpsyrkd34qv.jp

IMG_6012_zpszvsrttcm.jpg

Hottest long weekend known to man, was nearly 40c the one day! Car went like stink, no issues, did 15 laps and loved every minute, holding onto and passing some (on paper) much faster cars, an epic amount of insect killing went on!

Saw 140mph in two places on the lap and the brakes were off the scale of awesome!

Did over 1500 miles in 5 days and saw it showing 152mph on the GPS in Germany as well. Very happy

The downside to such big front brakes was the standard rears looked like shirt buttons behind the 17" wheels..

Hence...

IMG_19151_zpsjas2rjmz.jpg

ECS tuning disc and bell conversion for the rear, 309mm discs, brackets, spacers and new rear pads fitted, along with a stud and nut conversion on all four hubs

IMG_19121_zpsgjl2kzmr.jpg

Much better.

Would love to know the parts you used to do this conversion. Looks like standard calliper. :)

The rears are standard calipers, the kit is an ECS setup from Awesome GTI. Everything comes in the box!

Can't find it on there :( must have stopped selling it.

The cone in a box refresh has carried on this weekend.

The alloy plate was etch primed then crackle black painted

9AB926FB-696C-4DFB-AF34-48EBD3685627_zps

2ED252D3-5595-4882-ADA4-A570C17FF87E_zps

I sourced some self adhesive neoprene seal, 15mm wide and 3mm thick, applied it to the edges and then fitted the K&N cone filter, sealed it with a smear of black RTV.

CC4EE7A9-DBE4-4D47-BE5E-FDA12420B97A_zps

4D7203AC-55C7-4D53-BCEA-C03392A301D1_zps

D4314CE4-89AF-4FF9-B786-C9C5FA9B1461_zps

I have sourced a new gearbox for the rebuild, it's a short HDS box with a LSD fitted. It happens to be in the black Fabia on the drive so when the engine and box are pulled out of that, I'll be sending it off for a refresh then be prepping and restoring the outer case myself

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 1

Nice job that mate, you got a good finish with the crackle paint. There are some incredibly well looked after fabia's on this forum that's for sure!