Lofty's Sprint Yellow Fabia vRS Mk1 - "Project Daffodil"

Lofty

Had a busy weekend, not on the car though lol! Have managed a few jobs this evening though.

Got the newly painted oil filter housing fitted with a new gasket

6E13D4FC-F4BE-48DA-ACCD-54A403A0E9DD_zps

I'm currently sorting out the oil cooler set up so that'll be fitted later.

Had to order a new plastic moulding that goes behind the cambelt as the old one broke on removal.

B0262237-4B7C-4C82-91F9-90903F66FE3B_zps

51310B75-0D8C-49D1-9D26-550EB767D0FB_zps

I dug out the new cambelt kit

383ED042-7D56-439B-9B75-FF0015043E67_zps

Fitted the water pump, put the belt on the bottom pulley and the plastic backing plate

90FCC72C-8B75-4AB5-82ED-F16A28A639C4_zps

Fitted the stud and nut conversion to replace the OE pd150 head bolts I'd run previously

02DA7FC3-DA25-4985-A3F0-9966D1EFEDEA_zps

The engine was wound over to get the pistons to TDC and measured the piston protrusion and got a max reading of 1.2mm which necessitates the fitment of the three hole 2.0 PD 8v head gasket which I'll get from TPS tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll get the head ready for fitting some time this week

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 4

Not content with the engine work going on I'm gathering the rest of the hardware round me for the underneath restoration.

Daniel aka Danham off here kindly donated me a spare rear axle beam which he had off the previous owner of his reacquainted Fabia vRS.

2F3DB188-FA06-45BF-90F5-B63168A35EAC_zps

B519FD1E-0A23-422C-8D49-52178C1A0292_zps

Intact apart from the rear brakes the plan is to strip it down to the bare beam, flap wheel all the manufacturing welding snots off it, get it shot blasted then powder coated in gloss black to match the front subframe.

End caps off to reveal the hub nuts.

90B81332-D984-47E4-B4C6-8778796BFFC8_zps

Gave me a chance to use the new Bergen multi point sockets

3508AEBD-0751-4E0E-B2A5-D87E042B3D50_zps

Hub bearings off to get to the stub axle

8BC6BB55-AF72-4206-B543-EA664A004C7D_zps

Stub axle removed and the disc backing plates with them.

9EC121FD-1372-4FD7-85E2-286164DC09C8_zps

6E4C26F9-B6E9-4E18-9973-C70134FA1DFD_zps

Removed the rear spring seats that are often rotted completely out.

9E963B0B-53C5-47EF-9FA0-61148118711F_zps

Brake pipe clips were unscrewed and then it was fetched into the garage to get the existing power flex bushes out. Easier said than done as they were stuck fast with the corrosion on the inside of the beam..

Some not very pleasant burning/melting of them finally got the buggers out..

ED98FC9F-F402-4CA6-8716-EC95A80A3FDC_zps

I'll be attacking it soon with the flap wheel in the grinder then it'll be heading over to the powdercoaters with a load of other bits.

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 1

He will blast them but the rear beams are always peppered with welding splatter from when they were first built, the blasting wouldn't get rid of that so I'll flap wheel it all over to get rid of those before it goes in, I want it back flawless if at all possible

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lofty said:

Yeah they supposedly offer a stronger clamping force than just headbolts alone so will hopefully handle the boost better

I remembered after I posted that you'll be running quite high boost once its done

14 hours ago, Lofty said:

Another few hours tonight doing small time consuming fiddly jobs. 

Fitted the new genuine thermostat, gasket and bolts.

IMG_1436.JPG

New injector loom

IMG_1437.JPG

Fitted the cam and crank sensors, fitted the new water pipe across the front of the block and got the tandem pump fittings ready also

IMG_1453.JPG

IMG_1455.JPG

The oil cooler and oil pressure switch/turbo oil feed pipe are next up for fitting, then I can turn my attention to the back of the block and dry fit the tubular manifold, turbo etc so I can sort out an aeroquip oil drain return pipe

I come to this thread for OCD satisfaction

So good.

Phil, mixture of Zinc plated and painted. 

When i I restored the 306 GTI6 I used all Zinc plates ones, but they don't last too long in the exposed areas, hence the painted finish on some just to finish it off better and give them more protection than untreated ones. 

Plus us I like it lol

• Like 3

Five minutes outside tonight saw me clean up the water pipe fitting where the coolant temp sensor lives.

IMG_1462.JPG

this was how it looked. Now it seems like false economy to me not to replace the sensors and seals as I go as the rest of it is brand new, so I picked up from TPS today.. new CTS, seal for CTS, new plastic circlip and the o ring for the water housing.

IMG_1465.JPG

And all fitted up.

IMG_1467.JPG

more tomorrow hopefully 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duck said:

What clutch are you going to be using? I guess you will be quiet easily over 400lbs torque.

p.s. enjoying the build :cool:

Not got round to clutch thoughts yet, it'll probably be a SMF solution, and general consensus is that the quietest one, i.e. The heaviest one is the Valeo, what friction plate and pressure plate I mate with that.. who knows.

I have had the gearbox back from the rebuild, had to have the inner case machined from the inside so he could fit a bearing into the case to support the end of the main shaft and stop any future issues, a number of new bearings and all new seals. The Peloquin limited slip diff was in perfect condition which was a relief 

• Like 1