Spare Tyre

When I bought my car it came with a can of shaving foam in case of a flat tyre. I replaced that a year ago with a proper spare from Skoda (the one on a steel rim) but what I am not sure about is the tyre pressure - will it be the same as the other tyres or as it is a different size is it different?

Any ideas

Thanks

Martin

205/55-16 up to 53 PSI it says on the side wall of my spare, so 3 bar or about 40 PSI is o.k. for the boot.

The value on the sidewall is the maximum pressure the tyre manufacturer allows the tyre to run at. It bears no relation at all to what the vehicle manufacturer specifies for the tyre in a particular vehicle application.

• Like 2

I have one of these spares.  Here is the text of the email Skoda UK sent me:

Thank you for your email dated 6 November 2012, regarding the spare wheel for your ŠKODA Superb.

I have discussed your enquiry with our Technical Support Team, and can confirm the following information:

- The spare tyre pressure is 2.4 bar and not 4.2.

- The space savers wheel can be used on the vehicle to tow at 50 mph for 50 miles. This is for temporary use to drive the
vehicle to your nearest tyre repair centre.

I hope this information is to your satisfaction; however, should you require our assistance in the future, please call ŠKODA UK
Customer Services on 08457 745 745 and we will be more than happy to help you.

Thank you once again for contacting us.

The spare tyre in a Superb is not a space saver in the strict use of skinny tyre with a naff top speed and limited distance. The spare is a 205/55-16 94V, so space saving as it is 2 cm narrower than the standard, but it a proper tyre that can run at normal motorway speeds, top speed on unrestricted german motorway even and it can run any distance. It has the same circumference as the 225/18-40.

You should be aware that you are running 2 different tyres - 205 and 225 - on one axle though.

Regarding Gazdok's post. The tyres can only be run at motorway speeds if they sre fitted on all 4 wheels. The wheel as suplied by Skoda has a sticker on it limiting it to 50 mph.I have had to use mine after a visit to a pothole!

• Like 1

Gadzok, what you have said directly conflicts wth Skoda UKs advice given to me in response to the specific question, which I should have clarified refered to the 205/55-16 94V 'full size' spare offered by Skoda as an aftermarket accessory. I am sure their limitation is set in recognition of the different unsprung mass, tyre dynamic response, etc, arising from, as you say, running 2 different tyres - 205 and 225 - on one axle.

The spare tyre in a Superb is not a space saver in the strict use of skinny tyre with a naff top speed and limited distance. The spare is a 205/55-16 94V, so space saving as it is 2 cm narrower than the standard, but it a proper tyre that can run at normal motorway speeds, top speed on unrestricted german motorway even and it can run any distance. It has the same circumference as the 225/18-40.

You should be aware that you are running 2 different tyres - 205 and 225 - on one axle though.

That only applies if you are running four of them on the car. As it's only going to be one wheel out of three it is limited to 50 mph. ;)

Apologies, LEGALLY you should only go 50 MpH or 80 KM/H when you fit the spare - 205/55-16 - as you have 2x different size wheels fitted to the same axle and legally everyone will stick to the motorway speed limit of 70 MPH....

Strictly if I had a puncture with my 205/55-16 winter tyres and had fitted the spare 205/55-16 which is a summer tyre the same regulations would apply as I have 2x different tyres fitted on the same axle. This is probably along the lines of the Skoda advice I guess.

I had a motorway puncture with my last car, a V70 AWD. The car had 225/45-17 summer tyres fitted and the spare was a 215/55-16 with M&S rubber. This happened in the summer. The car did not behave any different at any speed, during cornering, acceleration or braking and still pulled in a nice straight line.

I would not have trusted a skinny space saver with a "M" speed rating (about 80 MPH).

If you are running 205/55-16 tyres anyway the yellow speed restriction on the steel rim does not apply to you at all.

Does the steel rim need to be the same width and offset as the alloys for this to be true?

Put it at 34 PSI and check it every few months

Usually there is a problems with this - people see the four wheels and inflate them if needed but they completely forget about one in the boot so some people recommend to inflate it more - just in case.

Apologies, LEGALLY you should only go 50 MpH or 80 KM/H when you fit the spare - 205/55-16 - as you have 2x different size wheels fitted to the same axle and legally everyone will stick to the motorway speed limit of 70 MPH....

Strictly if I had a puncture with my 205/55-16 winter tyres and had fitted the spare 205/55-16 which is a summer tyre the same regulations would apply as I have 2x different tyres fitted on the same axle. This is probably along the lines of the Skoda advice I guess.

I had a motorway puncture with my last car, a V70 AWD. The car had 225/45-17 summer tyres fitted and the spare was a 215/55-16 with M&S rubber. This happened in the summer. The car did not behave any different at any speed, during cornering, acceleration or braking and still pulled in a nice straight line.

I would not have trusted a skinny space saver with a "M" speed rating (about 80 MPH).

Close. In the UK, the law requires you to have the same size tyre across the axle and fitted the right way around if it is sided/directional. Sadly, mixing speed/load ratings, compounds or one being directional/asymmetric is not relevant and perfectly allowable by law. You can have an asymmetric summer at 1.6mm on the same axle as a directional winter at 9mm on the same axle and thats perfectly legal here. Though utterly stupid. The law only makes an exception for a temporary spare tyre as long as it is marked up as such. You would technically be limited to 50MPH with a 205/55R16 spare with the same size winters only because of the sticker on the wheel, which it is also an offence to remove or hide. This gets even more stupid for cars where that size is normal fitment anyway.

I think this is merely Skoda and other manufacturers covering themselves because although Skoda may have supplied the spare wheel and tyre they have no control over what the other wheels on the car are. They may have been changed by the owner e.g. to winter tyres like me. Seems to me, if you have a 205/55 R16 94V rated spare on a steel rim then if you have the identical tyre on alloy rims on the car, switching it over will make no difference to ride, feel or speed you can drive at. Of course if you have winter tyres on, get a puncture and put the spare on, which is not a winter tyre, then any benefit of winter tyres will be impacted to some degree. If you check the rolling dia. of a 225/40 R18 92Y fitted as standard on a Superb with a 205/55 R16 94V it is negligible therefore there is an argument that says you can put the spare on with no or minimal impact but as I said, the 50mph limit sticker is probably backside covering by Skoda and others.

only if ordered from new, £85 in my case, space saver is the norm

The 205/55-16 is what Skoda refer to as a space saver whether you order it from new or not.

Mine came without a spare so I ordered one from the local Skoda spares department, it is 205/55-16 on a steel wheel.

Close. In the UK, the law requires you to have the same size tyre across the axle and fitted the right way around if it is sided/directional. Sadly, mixing speed/load ratings, compounds or one being directional/asymmetric is not relevant and perfectly allowable by law. You can have an asymmetric summer at 1.6mm on the same axle as a directional winter at 9mm on the same axle and thats perfectly legal here. Though utterly stupid. The law only makes an exception for a temporary spare tyre as long as it is marked up as such. You would technically be limited to 50MPH with a 205/55R16 spare with the same size winters only because of the sticker on the wheel, which it is also an offence to remove or hide. This gets even more stupid for cars where that size is normal fitment anyway.

In Ireland, you'll fail the NCT (equivalent of the MOT) if you mix tyre specifications. You can't mix sizes, construction (cross-ply/radial) or seasonal spec (summer/all-season/winter) on the same axle. There's no restriction on tread pattern other than that the tyre must be correctly fitted if it is asymmetric or directional. It's a reasonable assumption that this is derived from the law on tyre use here.

There are other countries that I know require the same tyre model on both sides to pass. I think what we have here is ludicrous.

I did miss construction off that list as you can't really get anything other than radials now anyway. Compound isn't recognised at all.

The 205/55-16 is what Skoda refer to as a space saver whether you order it from new or not.

Mine came without a spare so I ordered one from the local Skoda spares department, it is 205/55-16 on a steel wheel.

Absolutely right - when I took delivery of my car I spent 25 minutes at the dealer arguing and getting this checked. I saw the spare wasn't a "space saver" in the strict sense (it wasn't like a bicycle tyre on steroids), It appeared to be a full size tyre but it didn't match the tyres on the car. I thought it should match but they proved what I had was what Skoda does. 

FYI: (Factory supplied) spare on my (Elegance trim) car is a Continental Sport Contact 2, 205/55 R16 on a steel wheel.

The (Factory supplied) road wheels are Pirelli Cinturato P7 Ecoimpact, 225/45 R17

I asked about the spare pressure and as per a post above, was also told 34 lbs or 2.4 bar.