Engine failure

Hi

Had a major engine fault today.

Car is a 1.6 tdi (105) fabia, 43k, FSSH.

No previous issues with the car but today while driving on the motorway the engine surged after taking foot of the gas and then the engine just died.

The AA mechanic has looked at the engine and has said it'll have to go back to the dealer, but that it might have been overfilled with oil. All the services have been done by our main dealer.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar or has any advice on what position we should take with the dealer. I have a horrible feeling it's going to be expensive.

Cheers

Mark

" the engine surged after taking foot of the gas and then the engine just died."

" it might have been overfilled with oil"

I am afraid this does sound potentially expensive unless you are very lucky - you need the engine checking out. What does it sound like now if started?

Can I presume it's fitted with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) - you don't mention the year of  the car

If you have driven lots of short journeys you may have had a lot of failed DPF regenerations which will have injected lots of extra diesel into the cylinders to force an active regen. The problem is some diesel runs down the bores diluting/polluting the engine oil which causes the level to rise(You will find a X on the dipstick where the manual warns you not to let the oil level go over this) which gives the appearance of overfilling with oil. If you smell the oil on the end of the dipstick does it smell of diesel? (Although it might smell of cream crackered oil depending on what's happened)

If this happens too much too major things can happen:-

1) You can experience run-away as the engine effectively runs on the contents of the sump oil ( I am afraid it sounds like this has happened to you )

2) You can eventually experience mechanical engine failure if the % of diesel becomes too high - diesel is not a very good lubricant

Edited by bigjohn

Hi bigjohn

Thanks for the reply. On speaking to the missus she does say the dpf light has been on previously but wasn't at the time. She does do more short journeys now than when we bought the car.

I'll smell the oil and see if it does smell of diesel.

Cheers

Mark

DPF light doesn't come on necessarily during regens - usually only when it detects the DPF is starting to have problems, in your manual your supposed to go for a run at this point 

Modern diesels are not good for a life of short journeys

Does it run at all now ?

Edited by bigjohn

My 1.6tdi has died on me twice. The first time I was towed back to the dealer and left it there on a Saturday evening. On the monday it started fine and the dealer could not find a problem. The second time I managed to pull over and tried to start it, scratched my head and thought for 15 minutes. Then I tried again but this time I pumped the throttle. It eventually caught and started. it seemed to be starved of fuel.

The first time it died I did not try pumping the throttle, neither did the RAC man.

Hi

Thanks for the replies guys. Skoda have had a look and basically said the engine is dead. Apparently "a pipe" has come loose and gone through the engine. Their words not mine.

Because it was 100 miles over the service interval they've said it's not covered by any manufacturer guarantee. So I'm now looking for a buyer for a engineless fabia.

Mark

Who says it is not covered by the manufacturers warranty, Skoda UK / CZ?

100 Miles over what Service Interval, is that a Fixed Service of 9,400 miles, or maybe 10,000 miles if fixed., 

or is your Service Interval a Variable Servicing one since the car has in Long Life Oil.

Who Serviced it up to now.

The Warranty speaks of Service Guidelines. 

You need to deal with a Skoda UK Customer Services Manager at Skoda HQ, and find out what the diagnosis was.

Proper explanation for the failure of a Full Main Dealer Serviced car that has covered only 43,000 miles.

?

When was your car first Registered?

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks for the replies guys. Skoda have had a look and basically said the engine is dead. Apparently "a pipe" has come loose and gone through the engine. Their words not mine.

Because it was 100 miles over the service interval they've said it's not covered by any manufacturer guarantee. So I'm now looking for a buyer for a engineless fabia.

Mark

Firstly the explanation is ridiculous and you are being fobbed off by the dealer. A decent examination would probably show this is a manufacturing defect that would not have been prevented by a service 100 miles earlier, therefore you are covered by law by sales of goods act. The dealer should be making the case for you to Skoda UK, if they do not you should ask for a written technical report from them and contact Skoda Uk directly yourself.

Skoda uk cannot walk away from you, you have the law on your side.

• Like 1

The 100 mile thing is utterly ridiculous - are they saying their engines are so fragile that they break if the car rolls a fraction past the scheduled mileage? They allow leeway on time - must be serviced within so many days of the schedule.

Edited by Brian69

What Xman and Brian69 said  +1

Go to Skoda and kick them around a bit in a polite and firm manner. The Dealer is being ultra pedantic, and should be ashamed of their follow up service (or lack of)

^^^ Absolutely.

A Dealership (Technician) at sometime setting a car suitable for Variable Servicing (Oil Filter Changes) to 'Fixed Servicing' on the Service Indicator does not then make the car have to have Oil & Filter changes at 9,400 miles if the correct Long Life Oil was used at the Service.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

• 2 weeks later...

i thought there was a leeway of upto 1000 miles or 1 month (which ever came first) of the service interval, all to allow for holidays, busy periods at dealers etc

as gonoffski said they are guidelines not hard limits (unless the dealers are trying to scare up more service work),

all it will serve is make a customer think twice before buying another VAG group vehicle if things like this are used to try and get out of a valid warranty claim

I would also ask more details of the "pipe" which is supposed to have gone through the engine? as I can't think off hand of anything on the inlet side of the engine where a pipe can come loose and be ingested by the engine

something doesn't sound right

As stated above id question this pipe as I can't seem to think of a pipe that fits into a hole, usually the pipe fits over a hole and secured in place by some form of clip.