Are all throttle pedals the same?

My throttle pedal is sticking slightly and giving high idle untill I pull the pedal up and it drops again.

I've got access to a Fabia I'm going to strip all the parts I want (free before scrapping) so have took the headlights, Window seals, rear demister switch and a few other bits but not sure if the throttle pedal will be the same as its a 1.4 petrol and mines a 1.9 tdi vrs.

Any idea if they are interchangeable then?

I would guess that they're the same since the throttle pedal is just an input device for the ECU and isn't related to what engine the ECU is actually controlling. There's no engineering reason for them to be different. But it's a guess.

• Like 1

That's a common fault - you need a new throttle peddle position sensor. Idles just about the 1k mark until you put your foot under the pedal, lift it a little then it drops to about 900rpm?

Mine's does the same but i haven't got around to sorting it yet.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, good to know then since there's plenty about.

That's exactly right Kevin, mines 1,200 & 1,000 though.

I attempted to fix it yesterday and if anything it's worse.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I stripped it down and cleaned it all with electrical contact spray and like I say, it's made it worse really :D

I don't know what the fault is as the pedal always returns fully closed, the Spring is very strong and goes to fully open / fully closed very smoothly

Spring can be seen here

image.jpg

Also, I'm pretty sure you can adjust the idle or maximum throttle position by adjusting some screws on the cover, I've tried to pick them but they look naff really.

Housing twisted so holes are on the left

image.jpg

image.jpg

Housing twisted so holes are on the right.

When removed the bolt holes were central.

The wiper contacts on the white plastic bit, are they two linked pairs, inner and outer (looks like it, but can't quite see from that angle)?

If you tweak the housing round, presumably you have to VCDS re-adapt the (engine?) ECU to the new situation?

The wiper contacts on the white plastic bit, are they two linked pairs, inner and outer (looks like it, but can't quite see from that angle)?

If you tweak the housing round, presumably you have to VCDS re-adapt the (engine?) ECU to the new situation?

Yes that's right, two linked paires.

I don't think vcds will be needed, it would just pick the sensor up being in a different potion.

If you are stripping bits off, I might have to send you a pm with some bits (and some money for postage ;))

Just send me a pm with what you wanted and I'll see, I might not get a chance to check messages etc, probably get a phone call saying "come get the bits you want" :D

Yes that's right, two linked paires.

I don't think vcds will be needed, it would just pick the sensor up being in a different potion.

Yeah, I can't spot anything about adapting the throttle pedal if replaced/adjusted but I have found that Measuring Block 62 in Engine module will show you what the two pots are reading. Will probably have a play later on the Polo to see what I can see. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm they are different then.

I bought a pedal from a low mileage 2007 1.2 12v Fabia.

Well the 1.2 pedal wouldn't respond on my vrs, just gave a fault code and wouldn't do anything.

I stripped them both down and put the vrs plug onto the 1.2 pedal and tried that, success! The throttle pedal works like new again. At least it wasn't a complete waste of money :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by hutchysrs50
  • Like 1