Rear boot wiring

chrisfr

We have suddenly developed a problem with the boat locking mechanism of the Yeti. Originally we thought is was the locking mechanism at fault but today I have found that the rear wiper and water have stopped working to, though the number plate lights are still working. 

I have traced the wiring loom back to inside the left wing of the boot and after that I presume it goes to the front of the car.. Can anybody point me in the right direction or have any thought on what it could be.. For everything to stop working I think that it is a loose connection some where.... Where does the loom end so I can check the connection??

Any help welcome before I have to pay out for a diagnostic check..

Thank you

Rear wiper and locking on separate fuses.
I would be looking at broken wires in the loom where it passes to the hatch.
Water if that is the window washer seems strange though, but the pipe could be broken too and dumping it in the boot.

What is the locking problem you have?

I've not tried on mine (tipping down outside at the mo!), but does anybody know if the wiper/washer is disabled if the tailgate is open? I'm thinking possibly that the OP's 'tailgate closed' switch is faulty....

Jim

Edited by muddyjim

Yes the wiper is disabled when the hatch is open.

Not sure about the washer.

Good call that.

If rear hatch is not completely shut the wiper and washer are disabled.

Perfect thank you everyone, that explains a lot. We have power to the number plate lights and obviously to the lock switch too due to the noise it makes when you push it, like a faulty solenoid in the lock. The computer is showing that the boot is not shut, so from what you have said the wipe system will be disabled.

The problem with the lock is that it will not shut or every stage one latch. When you press the button to open the boot is makes a strange tack,tack,tack,tack,tack,tack sound. We've got it booked it at a mechanic on Wednesday so hopefully replacing the boot latch will solve the issue. It just means the boot will not lock and it's a bit risky driving, for the moment we have an elastic holing it closed..

Thank you again and I'm glad we've found this forum.

There is something on here about that, I suspect it's like a worm drive that can be replaced in the lock pretty cheaply.

Edit: This is the thread, read from the start Here

If not seen above try here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/356063-boot-lock-busted

Edited by Urrell

Urrell beat me to it as it was my boot latch that failed in the same way you have described. As you can read I did it myself; I can't imagine a workshop taking more than half an hour to do it; I reckon I could do it in that time if I had to do it again and had the part and tools ready. The main faff is getting the boot trim off, which is best done with some slim plastic wedges to drive into the gaps to pop the first couple of clips off. Once you are going you can get the rest off quite easily.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Our 2012 Yeti with 25k miles is also showing the same issues - all of a sudden led brake light, rear wiper, rear washer and number plate lights stopped working. Boot handle not right either. Dealer thinks it's the boot wiring loom but apparently there's a national shortage of these. Another of VW's cost cutting measures perhaps - use the cheapest, nastiest wires it can find?

Edited by laurencejones
  • Like 1