185/65R14 to 195/65R15 Big Difference?

ionfly

Hi folks, 

I stupidly bought an Octavia estate without checking insurance first (went on assumptions from similar). Bought, taxed and insured similar for less than the difference of insuring the Octavia (which I still can't work out) and am wondering if it's worth taking the old wheels off the Octavia and putting them on the new, which has close to balding tyres and no spare wheel. I know about decreased fuel economy and the loss of power that comes with bigger tyres/wheels but would a jump from 185/65R14 to 195/65R15 really going to make much of a difference, or is it worth forking out on a new set of tyres (+spare)?

Cheers,

MArk

PS: Bear in mind that I'll probably end up driving this motor for a year then PXing for another cheapo run around...

Is that something to be concerned about bearing in mind that it's more than likely going to the scrap heap provided it lasts the remainder of its MOT?

Well, that puts your speedo out far enough that you could get speeding tickets when it says you're doing legal speeds.

Back in the real world (driving the car ) your actual speedo might read the real speed as currently it is quite possibly under reading.

But that is easy to check with GPS.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Well, that puts your speedo out far enough that you could get speeding tickets when it says you're doing legal speeds.

Ah right, see what you're saying now - nice one; hadn't thought of that...