Dashboard flickering lights

Hi,

Has anyone else experienced flickering lights on the dashboard dials?  By this, I mean when driving at night-time, some parts of the rev display not lighting up - e.g. the needle/pointer or round the numbers... and also the speedometer?  Sometimes the 100-140 section is lit, sometimes not... and sometimes all of the numbers, and sometimes not! 

Very infuriating bug that my Vinnie has developed over the past 10 days or so!   

It's not always the same section that is 'lights off' ...   and sometimes it flickers and flashes which is very distracting when driving!

Any idea of a possible cause for this ?

Any idea of a possible fix for this ?

Thanks!

It helps if you're signature has comprehensive indication of age of vehicle etc ........sounds like a faulty contact ....hopefully not corrosion from moisture ingestion.

sounds like a faulty contact ....hopefully not corrosion from moisture ingestion.

That's my thought too - a faulty contact to the whole unit as the lights on/off isn't the same every time I start up the engine... and indeed swap around when driving along too.   Very odd. 

Always off, my brain understands that as 'bulb not worky' ...

Flashing - loose connection for the LED bulb/ soldering in a particular area... got that...

Random all over the shop - odd :) 

Faulty contact makes sense though.  Thanks!

Hi - is this better?

Still Yeti 170..... To me not enough specific vehicle related info ....... for minor electrical issues, things like exposure to weather and age etc are particularly relevant .

Looks like a technician need to look at it .....flickering is hopefully just a loose connection.

Moisture and rough roads(?) are potentially an issue also.

Other threads have covered binnacle light failures - there is the possibility to get it refurbished to save replacing (as a dealer will advise). If you can find the thread it will say where. If the car is under a warranty I would get it in quickly before it expires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Other threads have covered binnacle light failures - there is the possibility to get it refurbished to save replacing (as a dealer will advise). If you can find the thread it will say where. If the car is under a warranty I would get it in quickly before it expires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. I saw those and they appeared to be the same fault but always in the same place whereas mine confused me as it appears randomly all over the dials :) 

I've seen the repair company - http://www.cartronix.co.uk/ - and will call them next week

I wish the car was under a warranty ...  :(   I've spent so much money on it over the past 2 to 3 months it is ridiculous.    If I ever bought another, I would take out an extended warranty as everything appears to be so hard to get to, the labour costs involved in replacing items are horrendously high.   

I wish the car was under a warranty ...  :(   I've spent so much money on it over the past 2 to 3 months it is ridiculous.    If I ever bought another, I would take out an extended warranty as everything appears to be so hard to get to, the labour costs involved in replacing items are horrendously high.

Just make sure you read the fine print of any 'extended warranty' you might consider.

Just make sure you read the fine print of any 'extended warranty' you might consider.

Fair comment!    Or in the future part-ex it against a new one before the original warranty runs out maybe ... LOL

And increasingly so. :sweat:

BCG - you're not having much luck are you.

No! lol.   Massive bills over the past 2 to 3 months.   Almost £2,500 ... not including this latest issue! 

• 2 weeks later...

Helo. I don't know if you were able to find the reason of your dashboard flickering lights, but it happened to me recently and it was caused by water which ran into the fuse box by a little hole I had under bonnet. So I had it welded and painted and that was the solution, of course after checking that the fuse boxed was undamaged.

Helo. I don't know if you were able to find the reason of your dashboard flickering lights, but it happened to me recently and it was caused by water which ran into the fuse box by a little hole I had under bonnet. So I had it welded and painted and that was the solution, of course after checking that the fuse boxed was undamaged.

The fuse box in a Yeti is in a totally different position to the one in your Felicia.

Edited by Llanigraham

Ok, but water will cause same behavior no matter fuse box location. Water was causing some short. After having it dry, problem solved.

Thanks for the "heads up".  I will take a look and see if there are any holes for water to get in before taking it to the Portsmouth company to repair it

Ok, but water will cause same behavior no matter fuse box location. Water was causing some short. After having it dry, problem solved.

Water in a fuse box can cause many problems but it's almost certainly nothing to do with the OP issue.

It's most likely to be a bad joint on the PCB inside the instrument cluster, probably around the LED driver or even the specific LED's that are flickering. It's becoming quite common on this era of cluster I'm afraid and is nothing to do with water ingress, just bad/cheaply made clusters :)

• Like 3

just bad/cheaply made clusters :)

Shame the fix isn't cheap LOL.  I wouldn't mind a cheap fix (for once) for something going wrong on the Yeti ! :notme:

• 1 year later...
On 05/05/2016 at 15:58, blackcatgirl said:

Shame the fix isn't cheap LOL.  I wouldn't mind a cheap fix (for once) for something going wrong on the Yeti ! :notme:

I know it's an old topic but my 2011 Yeti just started to do the same flickering in the bottom left corner sometimes in the bottom right or both. Could you fix it? What was the problem?