Tyre repair or not?

Tyre is two months old.

Continental Sport Contact 2.

Puncture caused by a screw in the gap between the treads.

I noticed it this morning and it was flat so I have not driven it knowingly when flat.

I read the info about tyre repairs and because it is with the tread area it can be repaired, subject to inspection.

Seen quotes for repairs at £25 online.

A new tyre from Blackcircles would cost £50.

How good are the repairs?

Never had a problem with a repair job, my local will fix a fixable puncture for £12. Recently I had an 'unfixable' puncture in the sidewall and tyre got sent away to have a remoulded section for £30 I think it was.

Why are you looking online for repairs? Take it to a local tyre place for diagnosis or possible cheaper repair first.

• Like 1

Plug and patch in the thread :thumbup:

Side wall is a new tyre. I dunno about that remoulding??

Yeah the chap did explain it to me although it was a while ago. Apparently there's only a few places that have adequate facilities and certification to do such a job to the required standard, hence the need to send it away. Figured it was worth a shot compared to the cost of a new tyre at the time. I assume even that still depends on where and how bad it is, nothing could save my last tyre after hitting a large stone that couldn't be avoided, blew 2 holes in the ******

Wave a tenner at them and theyll fix it

That's what it cost me.

Phoned a couple of tyre places and quoted £16 and £17 something. Phone a newly started garage and £10. No balancing as they replaced the tyre in the same place on the rim, a mark on the tyre by the valve

• Like 1

No balancing as they replaced the tyre in the same place on the rim, a mark on the tyre by the valve

Read that as "couldn't be bothered balancing it"

Marking the tyre and rim instead of balancing and expecting it to be correct is absolute garbage. Does the new weight with a patch and plug not get taken into account?

That's what it cost me.

Phoned a couple of tyre places and quoted £16 and £17 something. Phone a newly started garage and £10. No balancing as they replaced the tyre in the same place on the rim, a mark on the tyre by the valve

Bizarre, course it needs balancing. Glad you got your puncture fixed though.

Got it checked at a tyre place.

10 grammes out and they said it is ok as it is as the steering wheel start to vibrate when the wheel is out of balance by 30 grammes.

So guessing the puncture bung weighs 10gr.

They would have lifted the car on its sill with a trolley jack had I not stopped them.

Previous man tried the same till I stopped him as well. They can see it's bent so why continue?

When I point out the correct place they said, "It's the chassis," so is the sill.

I am going to start a sill preservation society.

What is best to limit corrosion? Jenolite and then paint or underseal of some type?

Edited by jackg

Well at least they checked it, which is the least they should have done in the first place. My local are sticklers for balancing and alignment thankfully, at least you know it's done properly. Shout going out to Huw Lewis (not of 80s fame) tyres in Lampeter. Million miles away from most on here I know but there you go. They always price match my tyres too, had a pair of Hankook EVO 2 fitted for 150 the other week.