Lift pump Non Return Valve

Hi I have a starting problem as many other SDI / TDI owners seem to have reported where after a few hours stood the engine cranks several times before starting due to air in the fuel lines due to fuel bleeding back into the tank.

I have replaced the clips on the low pressure fuel hoses with jubilee clips as well as changed the fuel filter and the return valve (incl o-rings) but this didn't work.

I took the lift pump out to check the NRV and it has failed and fuel leaks out of the bottom of it. I bought another sender unit off ebay but it also has a bad NRV!

has anyone ever fixed the NRV on a lift pump? am I barking up the wrong tree?

I'm not familiar with the set-up on the SDI. Do you have some pictures of the sender unit? I've had experience with similar issues that have been due to air ingress. Does the car have a tandem pump on the side of the head like the TDI does?

Edited by SuperbTWM

Hello again. The leak is actually on on the the gaskets on the injector pump. Can see it's we just where the high pressure lines come. The injector head I think.

Worth doing a DIY on it I have seen a gasket set for 15£ online. But I know I need vagcom to check fuel dose after refitting.

Anyone done this?

Didn't realise it was the older injection pump engine. Have you checked the hoses on the fuel filter as well. These can give problems with air in the fuel lines as well causing hard starting.

all fuel lines are ok.

i spotted the leak on the injector head so i need to change the injector head seal:

(7 parts)

got it in the garage on friday to get a quote

cleaned the pump the night before taking to the garage to make it really easy to spot a leak.

mechanic said he couldn't see and leaks and began checkin diagnostics as a matter of course.

he found that my injection pump timing was set incorrectly. likely from when the cam belt was changed.

sorted £20

starts on first crank every time

Edited by JosiahM

• 1 month later...

problem refurfaced after a couple of weeks.

i took out fuel sender and cleaned it (there was a lot of residue inside it)

in the process this fully bled the fuel lines.

since then the problem has completely gone away.