Octavia mk1build

Hey guys

I was looking at a 2005 Skoda Octavia 1.8T manual for my next car.

I want something that's a sleeper and can suprise a lot of people.

I was thinking of getting an Estate with the 4x4 system, what are the pros and cons of the 4x4 vs the fwd?

I also want it to have around 230-260 hp, what mods would I need to get that figure?

It's the 150 hp version btw.

One last thing, what should I look for when I'm examining the car?

Sorry if my English isn't quite perfect, I'm from Iceland :)

English is fine we can understand you!

Make sure to find a roundabout and make sure no noises come from the rear like grinding ect... other than that just the useual

I've owned 2 Octavia 4x4's and currently converting my current one to a tdi

Pro's

Less likely to get stuck on a muddy, Icy, snowy road

Better for towing with, E.G puling off the line and up a hill, hill starts ect. 

Independent rear suspension as apposed so a solid rear axle beam

Can go off road with it to a extent

Cons

More stuff to replace when wear kicks in

Less boot space as floor is raised on the rear

Tyre ware is more

Will edit when i think of more pros and cons but this is all i can think of on short notice

Edited by sesachc

But in the fwd version, does it have any wheelspin in 2nd if you increase the power to 250 hp?

Im sure it depends on the tires but in general is it bad?

I mostly just want the estate for the sleeper look, although the hatchback fwd is around 100kg lighter soo idk.

There is a VRS for sale for the same price as the estate i was looking at, but it looks kinda tired in the pics. Also you would think that it has seen harsher driving than the estate.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I had knackered suspension and **** tyres, when I bought the car, and had wheelspin in 3rd! :o however, some new wishbones with polybushes, new ball joints, a new track rod end, some wheel alignment, and some RSR's, and I get no wheelspin flooring it in 2nd now,even out of tight corners,  can almost put my foot down in 1st! lol..... (will never be as good as the 4x4 though...)

I also thought about the 4x4 .... but the price I got on the vRS was cheap, so had to go for it :)

Thanks for the replies guys :)

One more question, does anybody have experience with the automatic transmission in these cars?

Theres a super clean low mileage estate with the auto for 4000$ while a tired looking manual hatch for 6000$. Can it handle extra power?

I dont mind driving an auto at all, especially for a daily.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk