140 bhp or the 170bhp

Hi just after some advice had a mark 1 1.9tdi superb for 4 years and ended up with 280k miles on it. Unfortunately some muppet hit it and wrote it off. I'm currently driving a 1.6 superb estate greenline on hire from the Taxi company I work for. Imy now in a dilemma to which model superb to go for as we all love that bit extra poke !! I'm thinking of the 170 bhp over the 140 unit. What are peoples advice in reliability over this ?

I looked at a VW site about tuning 2.0CR and what you can get out of them..

On unmodified engines it showed the power curve of the 140 against the 170 and there was hardly any  difference until it reached about 4000 rpm..
I don't go above 4000  :angel: 

So I test drove a 140 against a 170 back to back and guess what I found no difference at all  that I could tell .

So plumped for a 140  4x4 DSG  as could not get hold of a 170 in the spec I wanted 

Even with 4 passengers  and cases it pulls likes a train.... :devil: .

Taxy_G will be along shortly he has the same car you are driving the now but has "tweaked" it and is well happy :D

Edited by DEL80Y

In my case it was a choice of cloth interior, lower power and the less reliable 7spd DSG OR the leather, 170hp and 6spd DSG and about 15-20% more cost.

I went for the 170.

If I'd gone for the 140 I'm sure I would have wanted more power. Drive them both and the choice should become clearer.

Yeh I've got the 1.6 Greenline Elegance, did want the 2.0 140 elegance however couldn't find one in budget. Avoid 1.6 unless your going to map it.

I used to have a 2.0 140 Passat, sure it was a PD engine, 2009 and yeh the 140 does the job perfectly IMO.

G

The CR140 produces 140 bhp @ 4200 rpm and 320 Nm from 1750-2500 rpm.

The CR170 produces 170 bhp @ 4200 rpm and 350 Nm from 1750-2500 rpm.

For the manual transmission, the difference in 0-100 km/h times is about 1.3 s. DSG is a bit slower on either engine. 4x4 is slower, especially on the 140.

If you go for a DSG, make sure it's been serviced _religiously_. Transmission fluid change every 40000 miles/60000 km.

Remember, the figures quoted in the literature are the peak values. A diesel engine will only use as much fuel as it needs to meet the load imposed on it. In part load driving in the real world, you'll see minimal difference between the 140 and the 170.

I have a 170 and love it - I don't think I'd have enjoyed the 140 so much. That's in the context of my previous car having been modified to 139 bhp/328 Nm and being a good 100-150 kg lighter than the Superb. I'd have noticed the lack of performance.

• Like 1

Can't see any reliability issues assuming you're thinking of the common rail 140 which would be the case from early 2011 on. If it's an early 140 it will be a PD engine (all 170s are CR). 140 is perfectly fine even fully loaded and the only time you really need the 170 is for serious overtaking and I imagine that's not an issue if you're doing taxi work. Fuel consumption is quite similar too. I'd take a bit of extra spec with the 140 if it was me and I was forced between the two (and I drive a 170)!

Also, do a quick search on here as the 140/170 debate has been covered on a few threads over the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When buying my 140 I sampled both, albeit the 170 was dsg. The 170 did not feel much quicker on road than the 140. Its interesting that both engines seem to produce more power, out of the box, than manufacturers figures suggest. The 140 is more like 150 and the 170 is about 180 bhp. The 170 does pull a bit harder at lower revs, the 140 needs 2250 rpm to make 100 bhp where the 170 is making 100 bhp at 2000 rpm. The 140 is making 130 bhp at 3000 rpm and the 170 is at 150 bhp at the same 3000 rpm.  

Ive had a 2010 140 and a 2015 170 (both CR manual).  The 140 was perfectly fine and could motor on nicely, there is a noticeable difference with the 170 - especially in the higher revs.  Fuel consumption was very similar with both engines. 

• Like 1

I've had 2 CR170s and it's a cracking engine. Pulls hard to the redline and was very reliable in both cars. The first one went well over 100,000 miles with no major issues. The second one did around 67,000 miles when I traded it in for a mk3. The only problem it had was a duff Oxygen sensor that was replaced under warranty. 

They were both 2WD manuals so I can't speak for the DSG or 4x4 cars. 

• Like 1

My 170 4x4 has been the best car I've ever owned. Never missed a beat. Brilliant in snow with winter tyres.

Waiting for a S3 to arrive but the S2 will be missed.

• Like 1

I would go for the 170 as one of the posters above says you will get more grunt from that when you remap it, than from the 140. I'm sure it's closed to 220bhp when mapped.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I would go for the 170 as one of the posters above says you will get more grunt from that when you remap it, than from the 140. I'm sure it's closed to 220bhp when mapped.

Not without hardware mods. The turbo is quite small on these, so that places an upper limit on what it can do. About 200 bhp seems to be the limit for the CR170.

Not without hardware mods. The turbo is quite small on these, so that places an upper limit on what it can do. About 200 bhp seems to be the limit for the CR170.

Yep you're correct, it's 205bhp and not 220 as I said previously.

Edited by JamboDave

im in the dilemma do I  get a se 140 dsg (64plate 7/13)18500miles or do I go for the 170 manual se L 64 plate (10/14) 16301miles and £500 cheaper :think:  both estates and which one is going to be more economical ????????? help !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. I just bought a DSG Superb this week - it is a petrol though but it is so relaxing to drive

How's your new car fuel consumption looking?

Loving going back to petrol myself  due to the "silence" on my commute

Edited by bigjohn

38.5 over the 450 mile trip home and around town I'm managing low 30's. Very happy considering the size and power. Went to Cardiff this afternoon think I had 35mpg and whilst I don't have a lead foot I'm no slow coach.

I do a lot of miles so I want the economy and reliability of a manual, there's too much talk of problems on dsg boxes , you'll see similar complaints on the Ford forums on their power shift box. I'm sure it'll be the same for all manufacturers who have auto boxes

• Like 1