resonant whine after warm up 51plate 1.8t est

Just bought a 51 plate Octavia Estate L+R. 1.8T with  90kmiles.

After driving for 10 minutes it seems to exhibit a resonant whining noise which is evident above 50 mph, and at constant speed, ( worse on smooth road surfaces).

It is evident on the overrun and slowing down,even below 40 mph, but not on acceleration. 

It occurs in gear out of gear and with clutch depressed and not depressed.

There is sometimes a very slight vibration felt in the gear lever during this whining.

I have cleaned up the front brakes, discs and pads, no change. 

I have swapped the front and back wheels around, no change.

I have given all the wheel bearings the Mot test !  No apparent play present.

I have scoured the forums for help with the problem but no one seems to have the same symptoms. The gearchange is smooth and the car goes well.

I am thinking ..wheel bearings can be bad but not show it when you check the wheels.

gearbox oil could be low and need a change.

There might be an expensive problem within the gearbox or diff!

Any help or advice gratefully received!!

Regards

McTeg

You're right, my bearing had gone and was pretty noise even in a straight line and showed no play whatsoever. Could be drive train related but I would there would be a change when clutch in or out of gear. Could be an inner joint on the driveshaft, check those for excessive play too.

Any worse on bends in either direction?

Yeah, when mine went it was noisy in a straight line mind, was a bit worse when going left but not much. If your car has only done 90k you would think drive train is unlikely. My gearbox started to suffer at that mileage but I think a remap finished it off. If gear change is smooth I wouldn't worry about the oil too much. I'm inclined to still think bearing/s as it occurs when disengaged.

It's not something daft like exhaust resonance/brackets/baffles is it?

Its too consistent a noise for exhaust baffles and not what you would call a rattle. I hope its front wheel bearings because that I can deal with easily.

Unless any more ideas are forthcoming I'll do the front wheel bearings and see what the result is.

Thanks 

No to the misses,but my 100yr old mother was in the passenger seat once holding her two hearing aids in her hands. They never seem to wear them !!!

I thought a rotational whining noise that started was some sort of suspension failure and we were miles from anywhere.

Solution was to stop the two hearing aids amplifying the sounds they were passing between them ! Like microphone feed back!

On another issue.....

The Octavia was driven by a pro mechanic I know and he came up with  wheel bearing noise.

So two new wheel bearings next week.

I'll update on the result.  

• Like 2