dilemma on choosing se 140 DSG or se L 170 MANUAL

good evening all this is my only second post here, im in a right dilemma on choosing just what car I should go for here is my choice ........................ superb cr se 140 dsg estate (64 plate 7/13) 18500miles............ or superb cr se luxurious 170 manual estate (64 plate 10/14) 16107miles.............. ive never driven a skoda let alone a auto box dsg and I'll be using this car as a family car and wont be pulling a caravan or anything so the question is what would be more economically to have out of these cars. the se 140 dsg is £500 more expensive than the other one? am I going to get more luxury extras!! with the 170 than the 140.. im booked in for a viewing/testdrive on Monday for the dsg.ive spoken to the salesman in the other dealership about about the se L 170 but unfortunately I wont be able to test drive that until the following Saturday due to plans I have plus working away from home  but I can put a deposit on it though to take the sale sign down until I test drive it...... your feedback will be much appreciated thank guys bob 

For the Superb 2, there was S, SE, Elegance and L&K models

Tthe SE-L is the Elegance equivalent for the Superb 3 - so I'm not sure what that 64 plate 170 is model wise?

Engines don't bring anything else kit wise to the car beyond what that model already has

• Like 2

Keep in mind that I am in Ireland and not the UK - but here, the engine size and/or gearbox specification has no effect on the luxuries you get.

The options and goodies that are fitted depend on 3 factors :

(1) The "start level" trim level ordered (Active, Ambition, Elegance or L&K in Ireland) and

(2) Any options added, that were not on the selected trim list already, when the car was ordered (metallic paint? Sunroof?) and

(3) The manufacturing year of the car (usually more toys are added as time moves on, especially in the final year, though not always).

So, is summary, my MY 2015, "Elegance",  manual 1.6 diesel has a very luxurious spec, Columbus Satnav, beige leather, park assist, bi-xenons etc etc. It could be sat beside a MY 2015 "Ambition"  DSG with a 2.0 / 170HP diesel that has none of those options. 

If both the cars you are looking at are "cr se" then you need to know two things: What Skoda added as standard to the "CR SE" on the younger car? And for both cars - what the previous owner may have added to that spec.

As for which you should buy - on paper, I'd buy the younger, cheaper, 170 car because I've had both transmission types in the past and like both. 

In real life - try them both out and then decide! So much also depends on how the PO treated it before you got near it....

Edited by TheRobinK
  • Like 1