Oil Warning?

Just popped to Sainsburys after getting my hair cut and thought I'd grab some Castrol Edge as I was walking past it, so when I got home checked the oil... something's not right I can't even see an oil line on the marker, cleaned it and checked it again and the same thing nothing showed on the marker then it hit me that it must be extremely low because it wasn't even touching the lowest end of the scale so I put 1L in and it barely pushed it past minimum, then chucked another 1L bottle in and now it's showing a good level.

But why in the hell didn't the warning light/noise go off when it was that freaking low? I feel really bad now my poor baby's been starved of Oil... :'(

Edited by Skyl1n3

The Oil Capacity is 3.6 litres.

On a 1.4 TSI Twincharger the oil can be 1.3 litres low and no 'Low Oil Warning Light' or Message Shows,

That might be just on the bottom orange ball.

It can be 1.5 Litres low and no Yellow Low Oil Light warning, or Message or Red Low Oil Pressure light showing.

So more than 1/3 rd low. 

It is a hopeless system and why best check the oil Stone Cold and know it is above 'Area A'. 

& then know where that then is on a Hot Check,

ie Operating Temperature.