Looking for a single user driving game

octavia5

Hi everyone, I am looking for recommendations from experienced users for a single user  PC  based driving game that can be played off-line, I am new to this so am not looking for the latest fastest most complicated or violent game just something to play with at odd times.

Looking for a road or track based game not off road or violence based.

Ideally would be linked to a suitable wheel and pedal set (2 pedals preferred not 3)

Do not mind if it is several years old

I am running Windows 10 on a i5 66ooK at 4.2ghz, with 16gb memory, a MSI Z170A MB and GTX 960 and a 1080 24inch screen.

Happy to buy a suitable wheel and pedal set that is compatible wit the game.

What should I be looking for

Thanks in advance

Something like TOCA2 (circa 2009 iirc?) should be available handy enough. Track based racing. Pretty decent, and should be pedal set compatible

Project Cars & Assetto Corsa are the current leaders for driving simulators as far as I know.

Something like TOCA2 (circa 2009 iirc?) should be available handy enough. Track based racing. Pretty decent, and should be pedal set compatible

Do you mean 1999?! The graphics and handling will be massively inferior to the current crop and it might not be straightforward getting it to run on Windows 10.

I know they are a little behind in Ireland, but TOCA2 was released in 1998.

Was a good game though. Much preferred games of this era with basic progression none of this online only achievement for anything share it with your Twitbook mandatory type...

I know they are a little behind in Ireland, but TOCA2 was released in 1998.

Was a good game though. Much preferred games of this era with basic progression none of this online only achievement for anything share it with your Twitbook mandatory type...

Holy moly..

Ehhhh..... i may have misread something!!! There was a TOCA incarnation around the date i gave wasnt there.... i hope!

Edit - there was - race driver grid 2008!

Short hand on the disc - i had had written TOCA 2 ( as in it was disc2... it may have been a borrowed version...)

Edited by mac11irl

Holy moly..

Ehhhh..... i may have misread something!!! There was a TOCA incarnation around the date i gave wasnt there.... i hope!

Grid2 perhaps?

edit: I see, actually original Race Driver: Grid. Good game that one. Bit arcadey, but enjoyable. Kinda a choose your own direction for your racing career kinda thing.

Edited by hardcorehobbit

octavia5, I think you're the kind of man who would like assetto corsa. Although single player I'm not sure how good the AI (computer drivers) are, might be worth looking at pCars on that front.

Now, you did say driving game NOT racing game. Would euro truck simulator take your fancy?!

I guess the main question is, are you after something fun or more of a correct simulation of physics/vehicles?

Euro Truck Simulator comes straight to mind as you say driving. It's a shame you say not off road as Dirt Rally is brilliant as a single player game.

I personally have no interest in racing against AI as that is dull, so those two scratch the single player itch.

Are you specifically looking for single player because you don't want to drive against idiots who wreck and deliberately crash in races?

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I guess I am looking for the most realistic road/race game that I can play off line.  Variety and physics are important but it’s the ability to play offline on my own that’s most important and I believe that all the modern games require a network connection even for single player use.

Not concerned that it’s the latest and best just looking for recommendations for a game and wheel/pedal set that I can get started with.

Physics wise, I still feel live for speed(no, not need for speed!) has a role to play. But lack of real-life content does marr it slightly in that sense. But it does have a free unlimited demo which could be good for testing the water when it comes to the use of a wheel etc.
If you weren't about 3 hours away I'd invite you over to have a go on my system. Could even get you a go back in M5RGK ;):D

If you do want realistic serious racing with no arseholes, IRacing cannot be beaten. The not too expensive, but expensive enough to keep out idiots model means people just don't mess about. You start being an arse and they ban your account, your name, your credit card and your address so you can't just get another account. Starting may be expensive, but once you're in, its pretty cheap (£35/year with the right discounts).

Its very much not an offline game, since it only has multiplayer against real people, but if you want serious racing that's the place to be.

I started off with a nasty wheel and pedal set and now I have a triple screen setup with a 4th mini screen simulating a Motec dash, load cell pedals, a proper bucket seat (with harness just because), full size car wheel on a modified G27, even a proper handbrake from a Golf MK4. Now I'm trying to get a direct drive wheel base that doesn't cost as much as a real car :)

• Like 2

Project cars has a detailed and long enough career mode to keep ofline players happy. Plus you don't need to 'unlock' anything so you can drive any car on any track straight away.

Plus it looks, sounds and drives amazingly. Especially on decent pedals and steering wheel. I've got a Thrustmaster T300RS and the immersions is class.

If I had some spare cash and a man cave I'd get a sit down arcade version of Out Run. I was ranked 7th in the UK according to my time as verified by my local arcade owner who had trade mags :D
Spent a fortune on it. Cool Breeze was my preferred soundtrack lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...