1.4 tsi Engine squeal

Hi,

When my car has warmed up and is left ticking over there is a high pitched squeal coming from the engine (down by the belts).  Now I've read a few stories about water pumps etc but at less than 2 years and 15000 miles??  I'm going to get it booked in under warranty, but I like to be armed with some facts in case they try to fob me off.

Quite a few things are fed by belt on this engine Aircon, alternator, waterpump so a bit of investigating required. 

Some forums say the water pump(one of them - the other is electric) is fed via the cam chain - it's actually by an auxillary belt.

NB On a 2014 (presumably) I think it also has a fancy regenerative alternator that charges more when not under load and stop charging when under load to save fuel. I've discovered this on mine as I have a Volton relay in line with my coolbox that I use in the summer - turns it off when you least expect it!

Does anything change the noise (extra electrical load, aircon on/off)

Edited by bigjohn

It does it under no load and loaded (when I had the A/C on).  It's bloody annoying as when you couple that with the neutral gearbox chatter it's a noisy beggar lol.

I'd get it checked out - I guess mine has the same engine and manual 6 speed gearbox and I have no neutral gearbox chatter at 28k miles. Mine is a very quiet car indeed - when warm at tickover with stop/start disabled and the interior fan turned off the only noise you can detect if you listen carefully is possibly the fuel pump from the rear 

Edited by bigjohn

How does yours drive?

Superb II 1.4tsi owners seem to be a rare breed .

I'm liking mine at the moment quiet (ahem), comfortable,  economical (only 3.5mpg worse than my old Superb 1 1.9pd diesel ) but the surprise has been it's performance - goes far better than I expected especially on the motorway

I really like the car as a whole. It's so comfy and relaxing to drive.  A diesel doesn't suit my mileage at all.  I came from a MK1 Octy vRS and the power difference hasn't been too much of an issue.  The MPG increase has been nice though :D And that huge boot :)  The kids love the extra space in the back.

Cheers for that link too :)

Edited by monkeychild
  • Like 1

I really like the car as a whole. It's so comfy and relaxing to drive.  A diesel doesn't suit my mileage at all.  I came from a MK1 Octy vRS and the power difference hasn't been too much of an issue.  The MPG increase has been nice though :D And that huge boot :)  The kids love the extra space in the back.

Cheers for that link too :)

My commute is 32 miles each way but doesn't suit a car with a DPF as average speeds somewhat low and traffic can be horrendous. On individual journeys to work I can exceed 50mpg when traffic reasonable

Edited by bigjohn

I had a similar sound on a hyundai I had from new, I took it back to dealer as it sounded like one of those old whistling kettles, quite embarrassing at the traffic lights. Dispite my suggestions that it may be the water pump is was back and fore to the dealers 5 times , they claimed they'd changed the belt , applied grease etc. It wasn't until they changed the pump on the fifth booking that it stopped squealing /whistling . By then I was sick of it and sold it

It's bloody annoying as when you couple that with the neutral gearbox chatter 

Gearbox chatter? or does it have a Dual Mass Flywheel and this is noisy?

I must admit I thought the 1.4tsi in the Superb had a Single Mass Flywheel (for certain earlier versions do) but you've got me thinking. It could have changed when facelifted in 2013? - only a thought

Edited by bigjohn

Hi,

When my car has warmed up and is left ticking over there is a high pitched squeal coming from the engine (down by the belts).  Now I've read a few stories about water pumps etc but at less than 2 years and 15000 miles??  I'm going to get it booked in under warranty, but I like to be armed with some facts in case they try to fob me off.

How did you get on with the dealer?

• 4 weeks later...

At last! I had it to the dealers and apparently it was the alternator.  

But here's the thing! I have just had a call to pick it up and they said my front disc brakes are badly corroded and I have a nail in my tyre?  

The tyre ok that's life but the discs needing replaced at less than 2 years and 16,000 miles?? WTF?!?!  I have told them I want to check it out rather than just agree the work.

• Like 1

Well I am £73 lighter for a new tyre, as the nail was in the side and I am pretty sure it wasn't there when I dropped it off!! But hey ho.

I am more ****ed off with that my car isn't fixed it's still squealing.  Do they not do a check on their work? So I have to go back again.  I did mention the water pump when I dropped it off.

But here's the thing! I have just had a call to pick it up and they said my front disc brakes are badly corroded and I have a nail in my tyre?  

My discs look like new at 30,000 miles and just over two years old - I'd double check yours first. Is it from lack of use?

Slightly p"$$%d off though - just scuffed an alloy turning down a tight side street with a high curb in France

Edited by bigjohn

I think an Italian braking session would sort them. My commute is 20 miles round trip and I don't do heavy braking.

My discs all round look really good at the moment - I suppose 2k miles of European driving with car full of people/luggage helped.

I suggest you have a European holiday  :devil:

I have the same squeal with my 1.4S & I've also read it's probably the water pump. I think I've also noticed a slight bearing rumble when slightly higher in the rev range, but it could be my imagination.

I need to book mine in to the dealer but as I've lowered it & put different wheels on it, I'm not looking forward to taking it in under warranty.

Edited by createcartel