Temperature dropping off when heaters on

I've just changed the thermostat this afternoon due to having a faulty one. So I changed it, left it running with the expansion cap off and topped up the coolant as necessary and it gets up to temp fine. But when I turn the heaters on hot full blast the temperature gauge drops to about halfway. Any ideas? Thanks

Is it not fairly normal if you idle a diesel? The engine only generates so much heat, and if you're drawing it all in to the cabin the coolant temperature is going to fall...

The thermostat is fully open once the cars at normal temp,so it won't affect the heat.

Have you took it for a drive and tried it after?

Was the stat the same temp as the one removed?

Maybe the sensor for gauge is dodgy after fresh coolant?

I would get a laser thermometer and check temps of the coolant system near the gauge sender when it's showing a drop in temp,will tell you if it's really getting cooler or its just a dodgy sender.