which petrol skoda octavia for family is best, balance of reliability and mpg?

Hi,

I wanted some good advice on which petrol skoda octavia would be best for a growing family (2 + 2). Unfortunately my Alfa Romeo doesn't have enough boot space :( 

I am keen to get a Skoda Octavia estate as the build quality inside looks great and has a large boot. Looking at 2006 to 2009 models. I would prefer a more comfortable ride so not keen on the vRS as I expect it to have stiff suspension, similar to my Alfa.

Reading up on diesels and issues with DPFs, I think a petrol engine is best. However I have read a lot about the different petrol engines TFSI and FSI and the issues with some of them, in particular weak cam tensioners, which doesn't sound like the good old days of VAG reliability.

What I would like to know is

• What is a sensible petrol engine that is reliable and not too expensive to run?
    (​I would consider 35 to 40mpg on a motorway run and mid 20s mpg round town as ok)

• Is a petrol engine the better choice due to low millage driven (7k to 9k miles),or is a diesel ok and which one?

• Are high millage petrol engines reliable (e.g. 125k miles, in particular 2.0 FSI with cambelts replaced?

• Does replacing the cambelt on the petrol engines solve the weak tensioner issue?

• Anything else to look out for?

Appreciate your comments and I hope to be part of the briskoda community :)

Hi, I have a 2011 petrol vrs hatch and it does tick all the boxes. Its a great family car, it has a large boot, lovely interior, easy to drive, can service and maintain a lot of it yourself and the mpg around town is roughly 32 and 42 on the motorway.

On the down side, the ride can be stiff but tight. With two kids in your car, you may want something a little smoother. I suggest you find a local dealer with the diesel or petrol version and go for a test drive.

You do hear faults and stories of owners about their octavias but if you find a well looked after model, you shouldn't expect any big surprises.

In my opinion, you seem to prefer the petrol. Go for the 1.4TSI. It is a great engine, should come in the face lift model and will generally come in a number of trims.

Post any ads you find for some feedback.

• Like 1

Thanks UdayP.

I will look into to 1.4TSI as I hadn't seen any estates with 1.4 engines in from 2007 to 2010.

I did see a 2.0 FSI estate with 130k miles cam belts replaced (do know exactly when), I will have to find advert.

Is the 2.0 FSI reliable especially with 130k, or will contact repairs be needed?

As above, I wouldn't rule out a diesel just because of your mileage. If what you do is mostly short runs and stop start then that could be an issue but if it's mostly longer runs I would expect that to be ok. My CR170 doesn't do a big annual mileage but neither is it used for short journeys.

Unfortunately alot of my journeys are town driving th which is anything from 1.5 miles to 3 miles. Then the occasional long distance, 300 to 500 miles every couple of months.

I assume lots of short journey would kill the diesel? If not which engine is better for this?

Also I have seen a 1.8TFSI 2009 facelift with 110k. Is this engine better, worse or same as 2.0 FSI?

Is high millage a problem and better to go for lower millage eg 80k or so.

I wouldnt say high mileage is a problem but you would want a full history on it. This is to make sure it had been periodically serviced and maintained when required. If you are quite concered you can arrange an independent vehicle inspection to look over all the major areas and highlight areas of concern.

I suggest you go for one of the newer TSI models such as the 1.2, 1.4, 1.8 and 2.0VRS. Mainly due to your mileage and secondly the availability of parts for any service and maintenance. They are also quite frugal with a lot of content on the engines to help diagnose any issues you might face in the future.

As said, Diesel is no good for short hops when they have a DPF.  As mike says above, you could look at a diesel but have the DPF removed and mapped out (not entirely legal mind). You can use it if you take it on a good long sprint every two weeks to let the DPF regen take place.

The TSI engine has its issues but if you either look at a post 2012 model or get one that has already had the tensioner kit replaced then you should be OK.  As with any car there are obviously guarantees..

If it was me, I'd be looking at a 1.9 or 2.0 PD diesel WITHOUT a DPF. Short distances would kill a DPF'ed equipped diesel.

But I'd rather look down the diesel route than risk anything with the petrol TSI engine.

Mike

totally agree with Mike as you can't fault the old school PD105 or PD140 diesel engines that don't come with DPF fitted as standard.

Love my 2008 1.8tsi, and if I'm lucky the BZB engine it was fitted with up to that year moves the oil in a different way to the timing chain tensioner failure petrols so there's a reasonable chance it won't have that issue. Fingers crossed! But this fits in with what you were looking at.

And I would vote the TFSI.

I have the 2L in my A4 and it is a fantastic car to drive. Mpg would be similar to what you are expecting

Mine has low miles, but higher mileage should not really be a problem so long as you do your homework on your chosen vehicle.

Good luck.

I love my 1.8TSI but catastrophic engine failure are not words I like. Fingers crossed I don't suffer this!

Edited by g_tee

My 05 1.9tdi 105pd has been great. Just coming up to 100k on the clock and love her. I have only been doing short trips mostly for the last 5-6 years with the occasional holiday to wales or Cornwall giving me some longer runs. Had her from new and always serviced. If I could buy that kind of reliability from new again I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for your help guys.

So it is looking like either a diesel without DPF or later model TSI. Seems no one is saying the FSI is any good?

High mileage is not a problem as long as the car has a good history and been maintained.

I have a 1.6 FSI. I get around 38-40 mpg on my average run which consists of B roads and motorways.

Mine doesn't have cam belt as its a chain and also doesn't have DMF issues as it has a solid flywheel. Mines done 116k so far and apart from the cat going has been pretty reliable. Only downside to my engine is it does like to revved and isn't as torquy as the diesels or the vrs but still goes well with 5 onboard and full boot.

Also cheaper insurance than the VRS

Edited by Mikek3111

Good to know your 1.6 FSI has been pretty reliable and that it has enough power.

Do you have to change the timing chain as part of a service interval or not?

Good to know your 1.6 FSI has been pretty reliable and that it has enough power.

Do you have to change the timing chain as part of a service interval or not?

How much do you actually have/want to spend this may help narrow it down a bit as we have cars here ranging from £2000-£6000  

I'd go for a 1.9 PD as mentioned above. Works great, especially with passengers. It's not the best on motorway if your running late and want to break the land speed record, however it is sufficient. 

I got an elegance model and I am quite happy with it. It is comfortable and the ride height is fine. Have the 16" wheels also makes tyre replacements cheaper, especially when I am covering 1000+ miles a week. 

Works well on short journeys, just take a look at the number of taxi drivers using them. Massive boot space and mine isn't even an estate! I've managed to fit 3 large suitcases and 2 hand luggage pieces in the boot and have 4 passengers in the car.

Go for it and you will not regret it. Very economical too. 

• Like 1

I'd go for a 1.9 PD as mentioned above. Works great, especially with passengers. It's not the best on motorway if your running late and want to break the land speed record, however it is sufficient.

I got an elegance model and I am quite happy with it. It is comfortable and the ride height is fine. Have the 16" wheels also makes tyre replacements cheaper, especially when I am covering 1000+ miles a week.

Works well on short journeys, just take a look at the number of taxi drivers using them. Massive boot space and mine isn't even an estate! I've managed to fit 3 large suitcases and 2 hand luggage pieces in the boot and have 4 passengers in the car.

Go for it and you will not regret it. Very economical too.

I believe the answer to the power is a remap. I have a tuning box and its definitely a lively beast now. Mike has his Shark mapped and I am sure will be along to sing its praises.

Great info about the 1.9 105bhp. I will definitely check it out. Seems like a diesel is an option with short journeys, I always thought it was best to go for petrol due to cheaper servicing and less issues.

Btw anyway to know if a diesel 1.9 is the one you are talking about? Engine code etc?

Gav your profile says 1.9 with 180k, if that is correct what's the maintenance been like on it?

Edited by raf300

if you stick to a 1.9 or 2.0 PD diesel, not the 1.6 CR, then then there's no DPF fitted in them which I think even in my 2.0 litre is up to 2009 when the facelift Octavia got the CR engine ...

For the type of driving you are doing, I'd be looking at a 1.6 FSI.

No DMF to fail, no turbo to fail and no timing belt to change. It'll cost you much less to buy than an equivalent age/mileage diesel.  

• Like 1

Great info about the 1.9 105bhp. I will definitely check it out. Seems like a diesel is an option with short journeys, I always thought it was best to go for petrol due to cheaper servicing and less issues.

Btw anyway to know if a diesel 1.9 is the one you are talking about? Engine code etc?

Gav your profile says 1.9 with 180k, if that is correct what's the maintenance been like on it?

It's done 196k now!

It goes in religiously every 10k and I exceed the air and pollen intervals usually annually or bi annually. The fuel filter I kept at 75k or whatever it was and I regret that just because of how early I do everything else.

It's had a battery last year. Glow plugs 2 on warranty and the other 2 I paid for at the same time, Console bushes, tyres and wipers. And 3 cambelt and water pump combos. I am sure I have forgotten something. It's a mostly motorway car since I bought is about 6 years ago with 28k. Does 55mpg on motorway and 40 around town but I don't do much local driving to prove that figure.

Edit and a single mass flywheel clutch conversion and a set of gearbox mounts

Edited by gav_is_con

One thing to also consider is engine warm up time.

During the winter, a diesel will hardly warm up at all on a short journey and won't give you much hot air out of the vents.

I often find it's not until I'm several miles into a journey that I get much heat out of the air vents when it's really cold. If sat in traffic, you can see the temperature needle dropping down.

• Like 1