Wide mouth (crash bar query) pics if you have them?

Hey guys,

I'm going to be doing the wide mouth mod on the car as I'm putting the fmic on my next shift off. If possible, do any of you have pics of what it's like with the crash bar on display? Not sure how it's going to look with that showing; if anyone has any pictures of their setups - it would be greatly appreciated! :D

Which FMIC kit are you fitting?

I made up a custom crash bar for mine,to allow full airflow to the cooler and also it looks better as the standard crash bar is pretty big.

You can just about see it in this pic,it's made out of box section with braces welded on to mount number plate in standard position ;)

post-95850-0-90696000-1462312026_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You can just about see it in this pic,it's made out of box section with braces welded on to mount number plate in standard position ;)

Yeah looks good mate. I'm running the forge fmic...saves me ****ing about with an angle grinder.

Yeah looks good mate. I'm running the forge fmic...saves me ****ing about with an angle grinder.

Your standard crash bar will block out a lot of air getting to your cooler,not really worth going wide mouth if you leave the standard crash bar fitted,as it's got to be circa 5-6 inches deep.

It's almost the depth of your number plate surround to give you an idea :)

Edited by coskev

I have recently read through your project thread (looking for some ideas and information on fitting hard pipes as well as a 1756 blower) and I'm fairly certain there are pictures of your custom made crash bar, including your little brackets you put on it for mounting the numberplate.

JRJG

• Like 1

Your standard crash bar will block out a lot of air getting to your cooler,not really worth going wide mouth if you leave the standard crash bar fitted,as it's got to be circa 5-6 inches deep.

It's almost the depth of your number plate surround to give you an idea :)

Yeah I don't plan on leaving it standard. I was thinking of drilling holes (50mm in diam) along the front to assist the airflow. Just don't want to modify the front end too much to accommodate the likes of an airtec when I know forge will be good for around 240

Good luck drilling 50mm holes in it, it's a complex box structure which will take ages to do. Ideally if you had time it would be good to cut a large letterbox type hole through the OE crashbar then plate up the insides to try and keep its strength.

Or just fit the forge and don't bother with the wide mouth.

• Like 1

Good luck drilling 50mm holes in it, it's a complex box structure which will take ages to do. Ideally if you had time it would be good to cut a large letterbox type hole through the OE crashbar then plate up the insides to try and keep its strength.

With regards to the holes...I saw a guy on here that seemed to do it with no issues? I have the time...:)

Edit* if I remember correctly (can't seem to find the post now) he had a yellow fabia like yours but had a red crash bar.

I understand it's a box structure, would a holesaw specifically for metal not do the trick?

Edited by Doughboi

If you are going to the effort of cutting up a structual impact bar (which will most likely cause it to fail in a crash anyway with giant holes in the middle of it), you may aswel just not bother and run without one............................

Pretty sure it was big jase that had the yellow fabia with holes drilled in it. I know there are a few more people who have done the same.

Have you looked at a ibiza crash bar. Might be a bit slimmer. Looks like it on my car.

Edited by stevobeavo
  • Like 1

If you are going to the effort of cutting up a structual impact bar (which will most likely cause it to fail in a crash anyway with giant holes in the middle of it), you may aswel just not bother and run without one............................

I have it covered... I'll be tying large weather balloons to the front, just in case.

The ibiza bar needs a lug cutting off both sides and about 80mm cut off either end and the entire innards of the bumper cutting out

Edited by Stuart27183

I've fitted an Ibiza crash bar to Tom's car - as above, both ends need chopping off and a small section on the top trimming down slightly for your pipework (if running Airtec / SS type cooler).

Best compromise is to do what Kev has done. Although this requires some fabrication and painting/coating afterwards. The box section he uses is probably just as strong as the old crash bar, if not stronger. I think you'll end up taking the strength out of the standard bar if there's big chunks of it missing.

With regards to cutting holes in them, I quickly blunted a drill bit getting through it! Holesaw would have been knackered quickly I reckon - couple of holes at maximum. I don't like the look of them with the holes in personally. I chose to run without a crash bar, but will be fabricating one also for my new cooler setup when I buy it.

Edited by alex_e3

Guest BigJase88

Easy peasy

c77fb924.jpg

I would not run without crash bar

A decent holesaw will get through that bar in no time. Low speed setting and let the holesaw do the cutting. A holesaw can drill through stainless so a couple mm thick plate is no issue whatsoever

Edited by BigJase88

As Tech1e has done it would be worthwhile for cooling benefits,but those four round holes IMO are a waste of time and would offer bugger all extra cooling in reality! :D

Edited by coskev

Guest BigJase88

As Tech1e has done it would be worthwhile for cooling benefits,but those four round holes IMO are a waste of time and would offer bugger all extra cooling in reality! :D

Yes maybe i should have put more or bigger smarty pants, anything is better than nothing

Drill 4 40mm holes your windscreen and see what happens to your face and then tell me it has made no difference to airflow

Edited by BigJase88

From the results I've seen from smaller coolers, I doubt that the small amount of extra airflow is a worthwhile difference in cooling anyway. I think the main issue that the OP was concerned about was how the setup is visually. I think that a crash bar, holes cut in it or not, looks rubbish... but that is my opinion of course!

Guest BigJase88

It bolts the chassis legs together. It is a vital component. I would most certainly rather it be there than it not.

Well the bumper was off for the big mouth so why not. The drill was handy and was not as if it was a big job. Added a whole half hour to the project.

Better something than nothing in my opinion.